Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2020, 21:06   #16

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: Code 0 type sails staying hoisted for days

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiolos.dn View Post
Maybe I am lazy.. Aren't most of us? ;-)

This will be my first code 0 but I find it hard to believe that one can hoist/drop such a sail in 1 minute. Maybe after doing this hundreds of times..

Or maybe there is a trick one can play.. The process I am thinking starts going down the sail locker for a large 40 lbs bug and ends with rigging 2 sheets through multiple blocks. I also plan to do the whole thing myself.

I'd estimate closer to half an hour.. What am I missing?
Sounds more realistic to me!

The other issue is storage while you are living on board. We have a 50' three-cabin mono. At anchor, the foc'sle is full to the top with fenders, and if we have two guests on board (and they're not in a relationship), there go the two spare cabins. Where does one stow a big sail bag each day?

On a furler sounds good to me as long as the UV strip is effective, and the furling is secure.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 00:12   #17

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

We had a Catamaran and the gennaker lived in a forward bow locker. You could take the drum and connect to the prodder, connect the snap shackle to the halyard and hoist straight out of the locker. Dropping it was reverse process.

For mono hulls with no space for such, then a deck bag could do, example below
https://h-sails.com/en/accessories/6...-deck-bag.html
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:18   #18

Boat: Knysna 440 44 ft Catamaran

I'd be wary of leaving it up if there is any chance of strong winds. We entered False Bay near Cape Town from the East in 25 kts with the code zero furled as tightly as possible. Then we got hit by a 50 kt squall funneling through a narrow gap in the surrounding mountains and in seconds the zero opened and within minutes got shredded with some sail material wrapping around our starboard prop making a very unpleasant night finally anchoring in 55 knt winds - with one engine we couldn't motor upwind enough to enter Gordons Bay harbour.

On the other hand on a trip from Venezuela to the Azores we left it up for days at a time and made excellent speeds.

We now tend to be more cautious and take it down if there is any chance of winds over 25 knts.
Michael Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:00   #19

The hassle with a roller furling sail is always setting it up to hoist and hoisting it , as its loose and is hard to do alone.
Or its sewed to a SS wire and almost impossible to get below.

All of this was cured in the 1800's by simply sewing a chain into the luff (as a chain acts as a bar when tight)..

Today with titanium and electronic sewing it should be little more expensive than sewing in a line.

With chain the sail is still loose but can be hoisted or lowered rolled up.

Would be nice if the sail makers made easy to handle roller sails today. They certainly charge enough.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:59   #20

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Sounds more realistic to me!

The other issue is storage while you are living on board. We have a 50' three-cabin mono. At anchor, the foc'sle is full to the top with fenders, and if we have two guests on board (and they're not in a relationship), there go the two spare cabins. Where does one stow a big sail bag each day?

On a furler sounds good to me as long as the UV strip is effective, and the furling is secure.
I think that builders put too much accommodation and too little storage into production boats. A 50 boat should have room for all of the gear, including sails, without taking up cabin space.

Our boat is an extreme example of space usage, but we can carry below deck all of our fenders (oversized), 14 sails, a dingy and motor, a ton (literally) of spares and tools, life raft, all all the gear and rigging, without impinging on the cabin space and without cluttering the cabin sole. We're only 43'. But we have a two person boat. Guests can be accommodated but they don't get private cabins.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:51   #21

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

[QUOTE=aiolos.dn;3250201]Hi everyone.

I am considering a Code 0 sail (or similar) but I want to be able to leave it furled and hoisted while I am in my boat in the summer for days or even weeks at a time. I'll be using it daily and, of course, plan to take it down if wind is over 25-30 knots.

Does anyone have experience with that? Would UV protection would suffice? What furling system is the safest to prevent accidental unfurling in moderate conditions?

We purchased a Doyle UPS which is along the same lines as a Code Zero. I call it a reaching sail since it does its best work from broad to close reach. Along with the sail we purchased the continuous furler, double fairleads for the stanchions and a tandem block for the furling line which is led aft to the cockpit. The tandem block keeps tension on the continuous furler preventing the sail from deploying until desired.
Anyway, when we originally bought it, the sail maker talked me out of having UV protection installed and I regretted it from day one. Last winter I sent the sail to Chicago to have UV protection installed. It was not what you would put on a normal jib or Genoa. I think it was the same type of cloth as the sail. Now we leave it up as long as we are on the boat with no worries about UV degradation. If a big storm is going to move through, I'll drop the sail into a bag on the deck and tie it off. If we are leaving the boat for any extended period of time, I put it away. Other than that, installing the UV protection was great decision. A $500.00 decision LOL.
Best of luck
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:47   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiolos.dn View Post
Maybe I am lazy.. Aren't most of us? ;-)

This will be my first code 0 but I find it hard to believe that one can hoist/drop such a sail in 1 minute. Maybe after doing this hundreds of times..

Or maybe there is a trick one can play.. The process I am thinking starts going down the sail locker for a large 40 lbs bug and ends with rigging 2 sheets through multiple blocks. I also plan to do the whole thing myself.

I'd estimate closer to half an hour.. What am I missing?

I see. OK.

Fit a small block at the top and hoist a light nylon sleeve over the Zero. Make it adjustable (for tightness) so that it does not chafe the Zero in the wind.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 21:31   #23

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I think that builders put too much accommodation and too little storage into production boats. A 50 boat should have room for all of the gear, including sails, without taking up cabin space.

Our boat is an extreme example of space usage, but we can carry below deck all of our fenders (oversized), 14 sails, a dingy and motor, a ton (literally) of spares and tools, life raft, all all the gear and rigging, without impinging on the cabin space and without cluttering the cabin sole. We're only 43'. But we have a two person boat. Guests can be accommodated but they don't get private cabins.
Can't say I wouldn't be interested in a bigger foc'sle! Actually on the model down from ours (Oceanis 46), there is no focs'le at all, which is one of the reasons we went for the Oceanis 50. I guess if you are putting those 14 sails (wow!) and all your fenders etc into what are supposed to be guest cabins, then you would be able to store everything fine, but for us, we prefer to give our guests their own cabins and heads etc - each to their own I suppose.

Fenders - we have 13 of them, and are considering adding a pair of big inflatable ones in case we get stuck in a blow at a wharf or marina with a neighbor trying to take us out.

At the end of the season, the liferaft, tender, sails, bimini, dodger, wheels etc go into one guest cabin without any drama - but that's 3 sails, not 14 of them!
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:16   #24

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Well. If you use it daily, it will be furled only during the nights. Hence no UV damage.

Hoisting a 0 on its furler takes 1 minute. So is dropping it. Where is the challenge?

b.
If it's used daily and furled at night there will be more UV damage than if the sail is furled during the day with a protective layer or cover on it.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:47   #25

Boat: Boatless but working on it

You can get pretty good stick on UV protection that is much lighter than sunbrella. It needs to be changed every year or so but offers good protection from UV and is inexpensive. Works great on lighter sreechers/code 0s.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 15:46   #26

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
You can get pretty good stick on UV protection that is much lighter than sunbrella. It needs to be changed every year or so but offers good protection from UV and is inexpensive. Works great on lighter sreechers/code 0s.

I’ve heard of paint-on too. What’s the name(s) of the stick on stuff?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 19:11   #27

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I’ve heard of paint-on too. What’s the name(s) of the stick on stuff?
I cannot find the brand name but its actually a very light sticky-back Dacron similar to sail repair tape. As said, it has to be replaced often but does the job.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 07:27   #28

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
I cannot find the brand name but its actually a very light sticky-back Dacron similar to sail repair tape. As said, it has to be replaced often but does the job.

INSIGNIA

my children

But it makes a very poor UV strip - it is very light cloth and the UV gets it very fast - likely in on e season.

It is very difficult to redo because it is very hard job to undo old and UV damaged insignia cloth.

BTW it is called insignia becuase this is what we use to amke sail numbers and class embelms.

Use paint instead.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 11:31   #29

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

There is also a clear version of stick on anti UV, I have had it on Kevlar sails and it works surprisingly well. It certainly last as long as the sails - maybe 3 years of careful use.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 07:14   #30

Boat: Lagoon 40

We use ours on a continuous loop Facnor furler and drop it straight into a storage tub in one of coffin berths on our Lagoon. It takes 10 min to hoist or drop. So we drop it at the end of the day unless we think we will use it the next day.
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails