Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 06:20   #1

Coastal, offshore, Caribean, Blue Water, Circumnavigation

I have done many coastal trips around the South African east and southern coast and have this yearning to venture forth.
In trying to determine what boat I should be looking for, I have come across different terminology which applies to the various types of sailing. Certainly the terms are fairly self explanitory, but where I get stuck is what types of boats would more readily suit the different categories as per the post heading.
Out of necessity we will be undertaking some long distance ocean passages to reach the great cruising destinations and would more than likely then end up circumnavigating.
I am interested in about a 42' monohull, but what make should I be looking for and what are the important features going to be that differenciates the boats for the various category of sailors.
Old 22-04-2016, 06:23   #2

Re: Coastal, offshore, Caribean, Blue Water, Circumnavigation

Oops, I gorgot to mention. I am looking at used boats
Old 22-04-2016, 06:54   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I don't really understand what you're asking... those categories you listed cover pretty much all types of sailing. A 42' boat is a good size though so maybe search for 42' boats that you personally like and go from there?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 07:22   #4

My appologies DDabs, I'm probably confusing myself as well. What I'm getting at is that a given 42' boat through its design, keel, displacement, draught and rigging might be fine for eg. Carribean cruising, but the same boat may not be ideal for circumnavigation or long ocean crossings.
Old 22-04-2016, 07:30   #5

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

so you want a boat that can do..... everything!!!!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 07:41   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Tony, as you said, from South Africa to anywhere requires a serious ocean passage. To me that means you want a serious blue water boat. People have different ideas about what type of boat is best for ocean passages and there have been lots of debates here about one hull or two, newer production boats or older stronger glass boats, bolt on fin keels or integral full or modified fin with skeg. People have successfully crossed oceans in each type. Am I misunderstanding your question?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:14   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

I tend to think you need to cater to the highest denominator... in your case, you're planning to do some ocean passages - therefore you should look for Blue water capable boats. The upshot of this is that you might not have the roomiest boat in the anchorage while you're touring around the coast - but at least you will have gotten there safely. (By the way, I'd say the next step up from Blue Water would be 'High Lattitude')

Picking a boat from there depends a lot on the depth of your pocket. At 40 - 44 ft, you're certainly going to find loads of fine Water boats">blue water boats available from older boats which tended to be a little more conservative with full keels, narrower beams (therefore less room) and lower freeboard (wetter ride) to more modern versions where they've opted for more speed with less of a keel (but perhaps ballasted with a bulb) and wider beams and possibly higher freeboard...

I agree with a previous post - once you've established a budget, look for boats that please you and select those that have a blue water pedigree for a closer look...

Enjoy your search!
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:30   #8

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

I have to say, that since you are in SA, and want to sail and cruise to the Caribbean, and beyond, then i would probably buy a used Cat right where you are and take that..
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:30   #9

Boat: Catalina 22

I think here's a good place to start. Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org
Just my 2 cents
T_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:58   #10

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGP View Post
I have done many coastal trips around the South African east and southern coast and have this yearning to venture forth.
In trying to determine what boat I should be looking for, I have come across different terminology which applies to the various types of sailing. Certainly the terms are fairly self explanitory, but where I get stuck is what types of boats would more readily suit the different categories as per the post heading.
Out of necessity we will be undertaking some long distance ocean passages to reach the great cruising destinations and would more than likely then end up circumnavigating.
I am interested in about a 42' monohull, but what make should I be looking for and what are the important features going to be that differenciates the boats for the various category of sailors.

I've owned my Irwin 43 for 18 years and sailed extensively from Canada and throughout the Caribbean single handed. Very comfortable and reasonably fast vessel and will sleep 7 or 9 if you get the charter boat version. Irwin stopped production in 1992; however, there are many still cruising and some for sale.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
so you want a boat that can do..... everything!!!!
Don't we all?
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:10   #12

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Tony, as you said, from South Africa to anywhere requires a serious ocean passage. To me that means you want a serious blue water boat. People have different ideas about what type of boat is best for ocean passages and there have been lots of debates here about one hull or two, newer production boats or older stronger glass boats, bolt on fin keels or integral full or modified fin with skeg. People have successfully crossed oceans in each type. Am I misunderstanding your question?

S/V B'Shert
I love the use of the older stronger. I would concur thicker heavier and slower would also be apt descriptions. Cave like and wrought with teak might fit as well. While not saying so but using misleading terms sounds derogatory to those not wanting those qualities but that feel perfectly safe doing the same in style and comfort while sailing.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:22   #13

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
I love the use of the older stronger. I would concur thicker heavier and slower would also be apt descriptions. Cave like and wrought with teak might fit as well. While not saying so but using misleading terms sounds derogatory to those not wanting those qualities but that feel perfectly safe doing the same in style and comfort while sailing.

I was trying to avoid a bias toward any of the boat types but I guess my preference showed through anyway. Sorry if I caused any offense. My boat is older, solid glass, pointy on both ends, lots of beautiful wood below, good tankage, a bit tight on elbow room below. And that is the way I like it. What's yours?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I was trying to avoid a bias toward any of the boat types but I guess my preference showed through anyway. Sorry if I caused any offense. My boat is older, solid glass, pointy on both ends, lots of beautiful wood below, good tankage, a bit tight on elbow room below. And that is the way I like it. What's yours?

S/V B'Shert
We sailed our Westsail 43 for almost 30 years, and had it for 40 years. Big, heavy, bulletproof(we actually know that from experience). However its no longer the fashion to have deep sea boats but fast sleds. Which presents him with an interesting problem: Buy seaworthy and be stuck with the boat; or buy a modern fin keel with movable ballast and bounce all over the place but have a good chance to sell it when he finds the thrill of sailing no longer moves him.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:36   #15
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I think this just another thread for people to play the "bluewater" boat game, whatever the heck that is.

I think you "need" a boat in good condition that doesn't leak, has reasonable storage and comfort and whatever it is has good rigging and sails. Then you pick your weather and routes as needed. That's it!

The most important thing about the boat is that YOU like it!

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, offshore, rib, water