Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2016, 03:47   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coastal, offshore, Caribean, Blue Water, Circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think this just another thread for people to play the "bluewater" boat game, whatever the heck that is.

I think you "need" a boat in good condition that doesn't leak, has reasonable storage and comfort and whatever it is has good rigging and sails. Then you pick your weather and routes as needed. That's it!

The most important thing about the boat is that YOU like it!

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 04:13   #32

Re: Coastal, offshore, Caribean, Blue Water, Circumnavigation

Ok, so any boat within reason is up to the job of ocean crossings and will be good for circumnavigation. All the talk about certain features being more favourable for true bluewater boats is just hype. I guess I'll find out when I do my first ocean crossing.
Old 23-04-2016, 04:33   #33

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGP View Post
All the talk about certain features being more favourable for true bluewater boats is just hype.
Not so much hype as personal preferences and sign o'the times.

What used to be the ideal world cruiser is now only a coastal sailor by many standards. Most of us are from relatively rich countries and have money to spend. So boats get bigger and bigger, and more and more bells and whistles become the standard.

An acquaintance of mine still owns the boat he circumnavigated with years ago. Family of 3 on a 32' boat. Basic as can be: autopilot/windvane, solar panels, SSB receiver, handheld GPS.
No issues at all, they were as safe as you can be on the ocean and cruising about.

These days, when he sails the IJsselmeer in anything else then ideal lazy summer sailing conditions, he'll often get some looks or even comments from sailors / boaters who think a little boat like that should only sail local puddles, especially with kids on board (they circumnavigated with one).

The choice is really yours. When you meet the world cruisers, you'll see boats of every size and make, some as basic as can be, others with all the bells and whistles and most somewhere in between.
In the end, they all watch the same sunsets in the same anchorages and meet for happy hour at the same local cruisers hot spots.

What you need is a good basis (as in: well built & maintained): hull, keel (bolts/connection), rigging and sails (and, when you have your boat, invest in a decent ground tackle).

What type of boat and keel, how big and what comfort level & which bells & whistles is all very personal.
Old 23-04-2016, 04:55   #34
vjm

I personally am a fan of <30' boats. I can afford to keep one in much better shape than a much larger boat, I can singlehand without resorting to electric assistance, and I really don't need more space then they offer. I prefer simplicity and main systems that don't rely on electric or anything outside the boat. Others have completely opposite preferences, and we are both correct. Go sail with people on as many different boats as you can, read as much as you can about design. That's the only way to know what works for you., Keep in mind that some preferences are created by budgetary constraints. I can't afford to have expensive stuff go wrong that I can't fix, so simple systems and proven construction, with known and addressable flaws, works best for me. Folks with bigger pocketbooks may choose differently.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 05:13   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coastal, offshore, Caribean, Blue Water, Circumnavigation

Just had a quick browse and this is perfect if a 'Pro Build'.. if you don't mind steel.
Boating World | Boats for Sale Sailing Van der Stadt 38
Was intrigued by a Lavranos 42 and a Pelican 42 on the same site but no info as to material of construction..

Here's an '09 34ft GRP Van de Stadt.. so doubt there'll be much to upgrade at $54K... well worth a look..
https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/.../#.Vxtnx4-cHIU

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 05:54   #36

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Ok, so any boat within reason is up to the job of ocean crossings and will be good for circumnavigation. All the talk about certain features being more favourable for true bluewater boats is just hype. I guess I'll find out when I do my first ocean crossing.
You make it sound like you are buying a boat for this "task" of crossing an ocean. You need to just forget about all the things you want to do with the boat for a minute and start making a list of everything you WANT in a boat. Take some time and think about all of the things you would like on your dream boat. Do you want a sloop or ketch/yawl? Do you like a center cockpit? Do you want multiple heads? Which layout of interior do you like best? These are just sample questions, but try to get a feel of how you think you would be comfortable on the boat, both sailing it and living on it at the dock or anchor. After you compile this list, start finding boats that have what you want, then you can post those boats up on this site and watch everyone rip them apart for not being "bluewater" enough
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 20:31   #37

Quote:
I have done many coastal trips around the South African east and southern coast and have this yearning to venture forth.
In trying to determine what boat I should be looking for, I have come across different terminology which applies to the various types of sailing. Certainly the terms are fairly self explanitory, but where I get stuck is what types of boats would more readily suit the different categories as per the post heading.
Out of necessity we will be undertaking some long distance ocean passages to reach the great cruising destinations and would more than likely then end up circumnavigating.
I am interested in about a 42' monohull, but what make should I be looking for and what are the important features going to be that differenciates the boats for the various category of sailors.
The Pacific Seacraft 37 is good for all those kinds of sailing. Here's an example (note that is has a Scheel keel, which means that it's good for the Caribbean -- if by that you are referring to some shallower places):

https://pacificseacraft37.com/details/
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, offshore, rib, water