Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 09:39   #16

Re: Coastal, offshore, Caribean, Blue Water, Circumnavigation

There used to be a boat made in SA the Agulhas, Google seems to be no help, but they're a great fast cruising boat. The ultimate answer of course, is a Swan.
Old 22-04-2016, 11:14   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

I think a good boat is a good boat. A boat that is happy crossing an ocean will be happy cruising the coast. Many fabulous coastal cruisers are less than optimal offshore boats.

NOTE 1: draft. I said draft. Too much draft may be limiting at times unless you have a lifting keel boat. How much is too much? Well, look up the charts of the places you want to sail to. In Polynesia, I liked to anchor over the light blue. With our 4 ft draft we could, with our long slab ballast we did not care if we touched the bottom now and then.

NOTE 2: size. Bigger is bigger is bigger. One way to look at bigger is to look at LWL, another is to look at weight of the boat. Beyond a point, the boat is too big (depending on number of crew, your fitness levels and your choice of hardware). Match the boat to your sailing plans. Bigger may buy you some gains in storage, comfort and offshore safety margin. Avoid too small and too big.

NOTE 3: simplicity. A simple boat with simple rig and simple systems will translate into less pit-stop time, more sailing, lower cost and hopefully higher fun to maintenance ratio. Canting keels, rotating masts, endless maze of hydraulics, electrics and otherwise systems do not apply. One DC voltage, one AC voltage, preferably no hydraulics and no high tech sails. SS rigging with commonly available fittings. I am exaggerating here, but not by a huge margin.

That's it. Everyone is posting and so just keep on reading, you will find an endless source of inspiration.

Nice and capable boats about 42 ft LOA (out of pure masochism only) a generic list:

- Boreal 44,
- Catana 43 Ocean Class,
- Hallberg Rassy 43,
- Morris 42,
- Rustler 42,
- Valiant 42,
- ... (just add water)

Often, the boat one has is the best. ""

Last word. I promise. COMFORT. I do not mean a cozy cabin (which is nice whether you are offshore or inshore). What I mean is an offshore comfortable boat: one where you have great access to the windvane, you set it up, trim the (not too big) sails accordingly, then snug under the dodger or stretch on the bench and you let the boat do her job. Days pass, you keep on reading the books and when you run out of books, you notice the tops of the hills at your landfall. Then you disconnect the windvane, trim the sails again and proceed towards the nearest customs and immigration.

Have fun dreaming and sailing!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:09   #18

Thanks guys, all the above helps. I am no spring chicken and am certainly not worrying about re-sale values as I fully intend the boat to become a part of my estate when I check out. In addition the pickings for good used boats are pretty thin here in SA, so it means keeping an eye out for boats in other areas of the world which brings up a big hurdle......exchange rates.
I will be looking at spending in the region of $50,000 for the boat, but then don't have a heck of a lot of padding left after flights to inspect, accommodation whilst finalising things and getting her ready for departure. I probably wouldn't bring her home imeadiately but would possibly end up back here after a year or two to plan the next eppisode.
I often see banter around here about certain makes and although I realise the chirps are meant in good humour, an alarm bell does ring each time.
I like the idea of heavy, stable, solid and "safe" all these attributes are derived from features that a boat should have for Blue water cruising and it's more these features that would assist me. Makes are reasonably irrelevant at this stage.
Old 22-04-2016, 12:15   #19

Thank you barnakiel. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for and your description of setting the windvane, stretching out on the bench etc describes me to a tee
Old 22-04-2016, 12:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think this just another thread for people to play the "bluewater" boat game, whatever the heck that is.

I think you "need" a boat in good condition that doesn't leak, has reasonable storage and comfort and whatever it is has good rigging and sails. Then you pick your weather and routes as needed. That's it!

The most important thing about the boat is that YOU like it!
Agree with your last sentence. The rest is rather uninformed blather. Your advice would probably get someone to go with a Ranger 26 for a circumnavigation. Nice of you to send folks to their demise.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:53   #21

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Agree with your last sentence. The rest is rather uninformed blather. Your advice would probably get someone to go with a Ranger 26 for a circumnavigation. Nice of you to send folks to their demise.
If someone on this forum takes off in a Ranger 26 for a circumnavigation because someone suggested it, then perhaps their demise was already coming...
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 13:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
If someone on this forum takes off in a Ranger 26 for a circumnavigation because someone suggested it, then perhaps their demise was already coming...
Early 80's a guy made it from CA to HI in a Catalina Capri 18. Extremely lucky. Did it because he read somewhere its an easy sail. So putting out bad advice that can get someone killed is not a good idea; nor is it wise to be so cavalier about folks who are so clueless.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 13:23   #23

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Kayak around Cape Horn! It's easy!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 13:33   #24
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
No that's not true at all. For you I would highly suggest a classic 1981 truck tire inner tube with a leaking stem valve.
Old 22-04-2016, 14:30   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Tony, one of my all time favorite cruising boats is the Lavranos Compass 47... designed and many built right there in SA. Some in FRP, some in cold molded timber. A very sweet sailing boat, immensely strong, good capacity, and some were fitted out sensibly for cruising... lots of variations, 'cause it was never a series production boat AFAIK.

Jim
Old 22-04-2016, 16:10   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

50k is not a hell of money for a 42 footer, I know you know.

You may gain something by getting a slightly smaller boat then. There are many quite spectacular 36 to 40 ' boats around. At times priced very very well.

Your other limitation can be that a 50k boat elsewhere still needs to get preped and fitted out if you want serious offshore adventures- you may want new sails, new rigging, maybe even a new engine (unless you are lucky to get something recent).

I think there is some light in the tunnel when I recall our brief visit to your country where we sailed among at least 3 dozens of very very worthy boats passing from the Indian towards the Atlantic. I remember some of them had had enough (well it is easy to have had enough just afer crossing the Indian ;-) and were selling. So you may be lucky to pick up one of these.

Look at stuff like the smaller Valiants (40') and HCh (38). I remember seeing a handful of them in Richards Bay. Perhaps they are still there ...

I can also recall that in Durban I ran into our friends who sailed an Ohlson 38. I recently spotted one asking 25k somewhere in the West Indies. They are pretty cool boats, strong and fast. I call them a Contessa 32 on steroids. They roll downwind too but then again everything of the same era does so as well ...

You will find your dream boat and sail into the blue yonder in no time. It is the buyers market still even if the prices seem to have stopped falling down. I bet no sudden boom in s/h boats any time in this century. Take it slow, find the right one, get it, done.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 23:09   #27

Yup, finding something here in SA would be first prize and a 42' at 50k is going to narrow the choices down a lot. Our problem is that it takes about 15 Rand to buy $1.00
I am 67 years old and it would be just my wife and I undertaking our new life with the occasional addition of my son and his wife from time to time. He could add the muscle of youth on a difficult passage
I certainly have'nt ruled out anything between 36 and 42 footers. My thinking was that a 42' would be just that bit more bluewater capable than a 36.
I have sailed a Lavranos 36 from Mozambique to Port Elizabeth and she was very capable in some hairy seas on that trip, the only problem being a bit too pitchy for my wife I think. But a more solid, rigid, easy to handle boat would be difficult to find.
As you say, something will come up. I need to find something that will suit without having to spend a few years on the hard re-fitting before setting sail. Time is short.
The reason for my questions was to try and narrow down the search by finding out what features make a good blue water cruiser as compared to good coastal/island hopping sail boat.
Many thanks to those of you who have assisted.
I'll keep you posted as we go along.
Old 22-04-2016, 23:36   #28

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Magic 44ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think this just another thread for people to play the "bluewater" boat game, whatever the heck that is.

I think you "need" a boat in good condition that doesn't leak, has reasonable storage and comfort and whatever it is has good rigging and sails. Then you pick your weather and routes as needed. That's it!

The most important thing about the boat is that YOU like it!

To an extent I have to agree with sailorboy1, through cruising extensively the Caribbean and being in a Marina where many circumnavigator stop...I have seen everything you can imagine circumnavigating, from small 24ft sailboats to an absolute nut on a Sea Ray 34 ft powerboat that has made some serious crossing. I believe one in a looking at your weather windows, I met Pat and Ali from Bumfuzzle here in PR, spent a week with them and in 33,000 miles I believe they may have encountered 1 or 2 gales with no problems, down came the sails and just pointed the cat towards the wind and rode it out. Second I believe in making sure the chosen hull gets a major inspection and refitted if needed, third just equip the boat with whatever you need, I saw "you need" because in reality some of us need many things to consider circumnavigation others simply need the simplest of systems.

Choose a boat that is solid and you truly like and get out there as soon as you can. Ofcourse.....it is like everything, you can go from NY to California on a motorcycle or an RV.. with the RV you will be safest, but you will still enjoy it on the motorcycle, it is all about perspective!

Enjoy the hunt for your "perfect boat" it is part of the fun!

Dan
Old 23-04-2016, 02:14   #29

Can anybody add any light on a Fast 42' designed by Simonis Voogd built by Fast yachts. Thereisone for sale here in Durban, SA. I have asked the seller for inventory and details so let's see what he comes back with.
However it would be nice to get some background on the make if anyone can help.
It seems to me to be very much on the side of a racer and I'm unsure of its cruising pedegree. It looks a bit light to me.
Old 23-04-2016, 03:14   #30

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGP View Post
The reason for my questions was to try and narrow down the search by finding out what features make a good blue water cruiser as compared to good coastal/island hopping sail boat.
Good luck with that one

Everybody has his/her own definition. And to complicate matter further: if I were to post the specs of my boat and ask if I could do ocean passages with her, most people would advice me to look for something bigger / different.

Yet when I wonder out lout if I should leave with my current boat or maybe wait and save more money to buy something bigger / different, most people are in the 'go now' camp and will explain why my current boat is fine too.

Pretty much every well built and maintained boat will take you where you want to go. Each and every boat will have it's trade-offs. The level of comfort will differ and the speed will differ, but that's pretty much it.

My advise: buy the smallest boat you two can comfortably live on and which each of you can sail & manage singlehanded.

Divide your budget: you'll need money for the purchase, all the costs of purchase and to refit / outfit the boat to your liking (which can go from very basic to very complicated).

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, offshore, rib, water