Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2019, 08:08   #1

Boat: Hanse 575
Cloudy marks on interior doors

I could use some help from the experienced crowd please. We bought a 2016 Hanse 575 last summer. On the dark colored wood interior doors, there is a hazy, off-white cloudy mark at about shoulder height. Pretty sure it is from sunscreen on bodies. I’ve tried to clean it off by using pledge, soap and water, and something called Arf for wood that we bought in Croatia, but still no luck. I don’t want to do more harm, but wondering if there is something else I can try. Heading back to boat in Corfu in late March and want to take the solution with us! Thanks in advance...
ClubClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 10:17   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Cloudy marks on interior doors

Could it be caused by UV degradation of the finish? Does sunlight shine on the doors through ports or hatches?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 11:41   #3

Boat: Hanse 575

Not sure, but I wouldn’t think so. Some of the marks are also near the door handles. If it is the UV what would you do!
ClubClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 19:32   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Club Claudia,
Sorry to be the barer of sad tidings, but it may be time to refinish the doors.

You could try spot sanding them varnish and let dry, and if the color is then okay, lightly sand the whole door, again: (you want to minimize loss of the veneer), and give the whole door a coat. The danger with this is that your varnish will look better now, than the factory. If their looking different enough to bother you, you could consider painting the doors, a "new look" for the boat, whatever color will please you most, in order to avoid sanding and varnishing the whole interior.

Another way is to take them off, take back to bare wood, neutralize the stripper, sand lightly, and either varnish or spray with polyurethane; but it may then "not match" just as in the first case. There are sometimes issues with using two part polyurethane over single part: the two part solvent causes the 1 part to bubble up underneath it. We have a saloon table that was sprayed with clear (two part) polyurethane that is now 29 yrs old, and is in good nick: that might be another way to go, if there is someone there, where the boat is, who can do the work for you. Spraying is one type of work that requires practice to get to come out well consistently.

If you use the CF Custom Google search (about 6th in the Search menu), you'll be able to find threads covering varnishes, and varnish compatibility, and color matching.

At any rate, sorry for the troubles, and good on ya for attacking it: I hope the job goes smoothly for you.

Ann
Old 18-02-2019, 19:40   #5

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I wouldn't be going straight to refinishing with something that's only three years old. Down here we sell a product called Briwax Furniture Reviver (disclosure: our product, but since you certainly can't buy it in Texas I hope you all let me off just this once). I would be using that, which is specified for removing haze/scratching in an existing finish such as a varnished door, lacquered kitchen cupboards, pianos and that sort of thing. I would imagine there would be a very similar product available from wood finishing shops in the US that would do a similar job.

Wiping some of this kind of product on should bring back hazy or cloudy clear finishes on wood. Worst case you find that it doesn't work out, which means that the lacquer is physically damaged or has failed, and you go to refinishing by stripping and applying your choice of finish. Personally, I'd be after the manufacturer if the doors were looking like this after only three years and it couldn't be fixed easily.

Refinishing is a job for woodwork that's 10-20 years old on a badly looked after or heavily used charter boat, 20+ years for one well cared for.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 03:31   #6
cruiser

Start by calling the Hanse company and ask what finish is on the doors, then describe your problem to them. I'm sure this isn't the first time they heard of this. Then ask if they know of a practical solution.

Using Pledge or other surface products can make the problem worse if the company used a lacquer finish, since lacquer tends to absorb a wax or silicone based polish and hold it below the surface into the wood grain. I spent years refinishing and rebuilding grand pianos, so know quite a bit about issues similar to what you have. The problem could very well be caused by a sun screen product getting in by penetrating the finish, but the problem likely won't go away if you sand and refinish if the substance is into the wood itself, then it becomes like an entity that keeps returning.

Good luck
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 03:59   #7

Hi everybody,
but above all... Have you tried simply with a chamois skin wet in the water not too hot and well twisted ?
Old 19-02-2019, 05:08   #8
cruiser

Correction: Using pledge on top of a finish won’t cause it to become cloudy, but the product gets into the finish, then when you refinish the wood, the new finish will immediately become cloudy or not adhere properly making your situation worse.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 05:15   #9

Effectively, for the PLEDGE, I agree.
Old 19-02-2019, 08:33   #10

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

What you have is called blushing. It's most commonly caused by the finish coming into contact something that that chemically attacked the finish. With todays Hi-Tech finishes so common being used in industry, your best bet would to contact Hanze, and go with there advice.
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 10:32   #11

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Contact Hanse first. If no joy from them,this works on furniture. / Len

Old 20-02-2019, 04:43   #12

Hi, an another answer…
Simply try a Shining Shampoo for car. Preliminary before an other solution.

Tags
interior