Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2019, 07:55   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 21.7
Climbing a mast from another boat

I have a 22 foot sailboat tied up in a marina. I need to change out the Windex which got damaged and prefer not to take down the mast or go up my mast if at all possible.
I'd like to go up the mast of an adjacent yacht in a bosun's chair which has a much higher mast and then swing over to my masthead and make the switch. Anyone done this before and can suggest some best practices for it?
Many thanks and Happy Holidays,
Howard
Maayanspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 07:58   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Climbing a mast from another boat

Have you ever tried to swing out from a mast to work on the spreaders? It’s not all that easy. Now swing to an adjacent boat and your looking at near impossible.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 12:10   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If you insist on doing this, I'd suggest leaving the bigger boat's mast vertical and heeling the smaller boat's mast over to where you can reach the windex.

But really, unstepping the mast is a far better solution IMO.

Jim
Old 24-12-2019, 13:19   #4

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Unstep the mast. The sheaves, halyard and bosun's chair are made for vertical, in line stress. Once these stresses are lateral, they become sheer forces. Halyards part, and the nylon webbing on bosun chairs fail without warning. Not worth the fatal injury.

Take down the mast. Change your steaming light or anchor light bulbs while you're at it.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 16:49   #5

It's a 22 footer. Step the mast... easy peasy and if your neighbor would let you use his boat to swing off, then I'm sure he won't mind a lot less time in helping you step the mast.

It sounds like you might not have done this before, and yes initially it sounds intimidating. But it's really easy. When I got my 17 footer the mast was down and I was very worried about stepping the mast. I did it the first time and thought, "why was I so worried about that?" With your buddy helping, it will be easy.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 16:51   #6

It's time to learn how to unstep and step the mast.

You'll be glad you did.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 18:03   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Highly doubtful you'll have any loading issues on the bosuns chair. If the other mast is like 80' it should work fine. Otherwise, heel over as suggested.
Old 25-12-2019, 03:24   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Howard.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 03:56   #9

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Hello Howard,
I have a 21'-footer. Stepping and unstepping is pretty easy and for me necessary as I trailer it cross-country. I can do his by myself or with one other person it goes faster.

On my boat the shrouds can stay attached. I just have to undo the forestay and raise and lower using the mainsheet blocks and line attached to the forestay and gin pole.

I do have baby stays and a roller crutch. I also have a small crutch on the bow pulpit for trailering. The Catalina folks have information and kits for this, I got my information from the $tingy Sailor website. There are also videos on YouTube as well.

Some of those 21.7's have a tabernacle which should make the process easier by raising the pivot point of the mast. On my boat I have to remember to slide the companionway hatch aft otherwise I pinch it with the lowered mast. Once you understand the particulars of you boat it should be doable. You may only need to lower it enough to reach it from a dock or another boat if you want to avoid hauling it all inboard or putting the whole mast off the boat.

Happy Holidays to all!
Old 25-12-2019, 08:02   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If you insist on doing this, I'd suggest leaving the bigger boat's mast vertical and heeling the smaller boat's mast over to where you can reach the windex.

Jim
This is the full and best answer...
Old 25-12-2019, 10:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
+1

If the spreaders of the bigger boat are at the right height, perhaps you can step on a spreader while you work on the mast of your boat. Otherwise, even if you heel your boat, success is doubtful. Trying to swing from one mast to the other is sure recipe for disaster and should not be attempted (besides, I doubt your neighbor would allow you to climb his mast for such a purpose, he may be liable for any negative outcome that may result).
Still, Jim's and the other posts are totally right, unstepping the mast is the way to go.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 11:11   #12

Boat: C&C

Just take the halyard from your boat over to the larger boat. Take it up his mast till it's perpendicular and wrap it around the mast. Tighten up the winch on your boat till it pulls your mast over to his where you can reach it. Go up and do your work hoping that your life insurance is paid up before some big power boat goes by and throws a huge wake for you!!! Lol!!! Have fun with it all. Forgot to mention, have copious amounts of alcohol before and if you survive your ordeal afterwards also!!! Also make sure some one videos it and posts to Utube. We could all use some more humour in our lives!-Cheers and Merry Christmas
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 11:28   #13

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

These guys do it well:
Old 25-12-2019, 11:36   #14

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Go to a bridge and anchor or tie up to the bridge fender. Keep top of mast a foot two above the bridge handrail. Watch out for waves & wakes!!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 13:03   #15
rbk

Boat: T37

If you can borrow a spin pole from a neighbour or if you have one you’re self. Attach your jib halyard you the spin pole and secure at the mast base add some P&S stays and settle it in about 45 degrees (mid way) between your mast and deck. Then a length of line or anchor rode from the spin pole to a block(s) and direct it to your windlass capstan or winch. This will give you amazing control when lowering and raising. Takes a bit of rigging and planning but shouldn’t take more than 45 min the first time, eventually you’ll be able to do it in less than 15. If you’re on a finger or can get to one, back in so you can lower the mast head close to the dock and you won’t even have to fully unstep it.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, mast