Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 13:12   #1

Classic 31 - Any good ? ( Sailor with good craftmanship )

Hi guys, i'll start with a short presentation, I'm Boulard, 31yrs old from Québec and french is my first language and i'm sorry if my english typing is'nt perfect.

I'm sailing small boats for pretty much all my life and i now feel the need of going bigger with something that can be lived on for at least the weekend and maybe a weeks or 2 when on vacation but never that far from land so "refill" of goods and fuel wont be an issue. Also, i live right next to the "Fleuve St-Laurent" ( St-Lawrence river ) and i have a few marina nearby. This river can be sailed from the great lake and all the way to the "Golf du St-Laurent" and evn to the atlantic but it's not my goal.

My main interest is that i really like to work and craft my own stuff so buying an old boat and rebuilding the interior, redoing the pain, repairing the engine/electrical ( i have a 6yrs car mecanic background and an electronics ) and things like that dont afraid me and in fact, i prefer to do it myslef and by this work, also better knowing my boat.

I spotted a "Grampian 31 classic". I like the model and the "old school" design. My girlfriend is not that much interested into fast boat so this also point me to good cruiser instead of fast by less confortable boats.

Is the model solid ? Even after 40yrs, is it worth the time to take it back to the water after 2 or 3 years of slow work ?
Boulard83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 14:21   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Classic 31 - Any good ? ( Sailor with good craftmanship )

It's a good old boat, and with your skills and time should turn out well.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 15:19   #3

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-09-2014, 15:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

It sounds like you are committed to work on a boat and are willing to put 2 years into working on it. Here are some thoughts.

- You need to have very easy access to the boat. Near you in a yard that allows people to work on their own boats.
- If you work full time you will likely have only the weekends to work on the boat. In your region there is a large part of the year that is too cold and miserable to work outside. Factor that in for time.
- You will need lots of tools and a place at home to do fabrication. It generally takes me an hour to get to the boat and get all the tools out to work beside the boat.
- You will need to find and become friends with all kinds of fabricators from welders to woodworkers
- You will need a ton of tools.
- You won't save any money over buying a boat that needs minor repairs. It will likely cost more but you have the satisfaction of getting the boat the way you want.
- You will never recover the investment if/when you sell it.

This is not to discourage you. Just to set the realities. There are lots of folks who are great at fixing boats. however their hobby is fixing boats, not camping and sailing on the weekends.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 16:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
It sounds like you are committed to work on a boat and are willing to put 2 years into working on it. Here are some thoughts.

- You need to have very easy access to the boat. Near you in a yard that allows people to work on their own boats.
- If you work full time you will likely have only the weekends to work on the boat. In your region there is a large part of the year that is too cold and miserable to work outside. Factor that in for time.
- You will need lots of tools and a place at home to do fabrication. It generally takes me an hour to get to the boat and get all the tools out to work beside the boat.
- You will need to find and become friends with all kinds of fabricators from welders to woodworkers
- You will need a ton of tools.
- You won't save any money over buying a boat that needs minor repairs. It will likely cost more but you have the satisfaction of getting the boat the way you want.
- You will never recover the investment if/when you sell it.

This is not to discourage you. Just to set the realities. There are lots of folks who are great at fixing boats. however their hobby is fixing boats, not camping and sailing on the weekends.
Thanks for this great post !

I'll have the boat on my yard for the period of time i'll work on it and i have a tons of tools to work with metal/wood and more.

I'm aware that it wont be a peice of cake and that it will cost alot but as you told, the satisfaction of sailing something i built ( rebuilt ) myself will overtake the expense !
Old 08-09-2014, 16:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulard83 View Post
Thanks for this great post !

I'll have the boat on my yard for the period of time i'll work on it and i have a tons of tools to work with metal/wood and more.

I'm aware that it wont be a peice of cake and that it will cost alot but as you told, the satisfaction of sailing something i built ( rebuilt ) myself will overtake the expense !
You sound well prepared to take this on. I look forward to your future postings!

The only other thought is to very carefully consider if you want a wooden boat. They are a labor of love. And you need a lot of love to make it work - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 16:25   #7

I'll post a build log here as soon as i get it going !
Old 08-09-2014, 17:50   #8

Boat: csy 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

You sound well prepared to take this on. I look forward to your future postings!

The only other thought is to very carefully consider if you want a wooden boat. They are a labor of love. And you need a lot of love to make it work - LOL...

Not to worry, its a fiberglass boat!
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Not to worry, its a fiberglass boat!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:27   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
It's a good old boat, and with your skills and time should turn out well.
I agree... This would be a good boat for your plans...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail