Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2008, 07:27   #1
RRR

citation 30 footer with trailer?

I just came across this boat on one of the trader websites and was wondering what everyone thinks about this type of boat. I can't find much info on the web about them.
The one I found was built in 79 and looks great. The price is sure right! Best of all I would really be happy with a boat I could bring home durring hurricane season, especially since it's looking like Galveston Island will be where I keep it the rest of the time.

I'm looking for a cruiser that we could at least cruise the islands with for the next several years and then maybe move up to one capable of going to Australia, Japan and the PI. Do any of you do trips like that in boats as small as 30 feet or would that be a dumb idea?
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 03:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Irwin Citation 30:
LOA = 30.0', LOD = 30.0', LWL = 26.9'
Beam = 10.2', Draft = 5.3'
Displaces = 10,400#, Ballast = 4,100#
Mast Height 46.2', Sail Area = 545.0 sq. Ft.

Performance Indicators
D/L 239
B/D 39 %
SA/D 18.3
Comfort 25.1
Capsize 1.87
L/B 2.9

Irwin Owners: irwinsailboats : Irwin Sailboat Owners

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 23:19   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
RRR - I saw a 30 footer in Sebana cove that was single handed from Canada. The right boat and the right experience can take you a long way.

In regards to a first boat, my advice is to always look for one with wide appeal and plentiful. A small run boat, while perfectly acceptable may require you to be much more self sufficient in terms of repairs and questions. There just won't be lot's of folk able to give a specific answer.

A boat in numerous quantity is a good first boat IMO, because:

- There may be an active owners forum for advice and counsel
- Specialty parts may be still factory available or from salvage
- Many marina mechanics may be familiar with them and can fix them
- Standard build processes and deck hardware
- probably a more "mainstream" powerplant
- Easier to resell when stepping up

It often looks like you can get more boat with an off brand.

Our bow pulpit was damaged in a collision. We had to have it custom fabricated to repair it and it took about 4 months. A Hunter or Catalina may have been a lot easier.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 10:39   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I've owned a couple pocket cruisers on trailers and will make a couple comments regarding that:

It's a lot of boat to pull around and will most likely require permits since it's winder than 8.5 feet.

If it's the boat I think it is, it looks like a great price for a boat and trailer. Having it on a trailer can open up some cheaper storage options as well as the ability to work on it in your driveway or back yard. That can be very handy, but you also need to factor in the cost of trailer maintenance and tow vehicle cost, maintenance and gas. In my case, these added up to much more than the cost of marina storage. Also if you plan to store it or work on it in your yard or driveway check into any local zoning restrictions.

I'd also recommned you look into any insurance implications, both for towing and cruising. The second my boat insurance company found out my boat was on a trailer, getting coverage for more than coastal cruising became very difficult. (I felt they viewed any boat on a trailer as a trailer sailor regardless of the make and model) Also I found a big gap in coverage while towing the boat that was hard to fill. While both my car insurance company and boat insurance company offered road side assistance and liability coverage, neither would insure the value of the boat itself while being towed by my personal vehicle. Homeowners was no help either.

Best of luck. I just came to an agreement on a 30-footer myself.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 08:48   #5
RRR

I live on a farm and have a big barn to store it in. No zoning regs either. Not yet anyway!
Idecided to pass on that boat but I am going to find one similar to it, maybe a few feet longer, and just build my own trailer I guess. I really like the idea of being able to haul it home durring the hurricane season or if we aren't going to sail for a while. It also gives me the flexibility of being a few feet away from my own shop.

My truck I have now can pull up to 16,000 pounds legally. I have access to a freightliner which I am about to buy probably too for the farm that can pull a lot more. It already has a 53 foot flatbed that I could rig up for a boat easily too. I looked into other companies hauling boats for me and boy did I get sticker shock at the idea. Even with the permits and fuel I can save a fortune doing it myself.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 09:19   #6

It's really not all about size when it comes to the ability to cross oceans. I own a Cape Dory 25D and a trailer for her. Several have crossed both the Atlantic and the Pacific. This J Vigor book is a pretty good source of info concerning small boats and their ability. Amazon.com: Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere: John Vigor: Books.

The Citation may be capable of more than you might expect. In most cases the off shore skipper is the limiting factor, not the boat.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 17:25   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
RRR, It sounds like you've thougth things out well. Best of luck finding your boat. I think it's a buyers market now, so I'm sure something will come your way soon.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote