Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2012, 10:39   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowingdude
Everything I've read in my research for a boat said the Mac26 will fall apart when put out into "real water".. therefore, I'm sure it can be done, if you sacrifice twenty goats and three virgins to Poseidon.
The 26M can actually go transatlantic transpacific and around the world IF AND ONLY you know how to use it. It is even proven that the 26M could withstand rough seas and there are pictures and even vedios of the 26M battling Gale Force Winds and 10 to 18 foot waves. It actually did pretty well in the waves and in fact it got less spray on board than the much bigger MacGregor 70. The main key for riding these waves well is the curling and folding states of the sails that gives the sufficient balance of gravity that allows the boat to smoothly and efficiently ride over the rough waves. I am going to give you tips and advantages to make the 26M actually safely go in the open high seas: Keep the water ballast tank COMPLETLY FULL AT ALL TIMES, plan accordingly, Keep an eye out for weather at all times so if you are about to run into a squall or bad weather you could simply kick down the engine and speed away from harms way. For this reason carry as much fuel tanks as safely possible so when this type of situation occurs or you lack wind you could kick down the engine and propell your way down. The 26M is actually safer than most boats and it is proven on the 26M's website. Check it out, type in Macgregor 26M keyword or macgregor26.com go to the safety section and the test in the high seas off Santa Ana and you"ll see what I mean. When you are unfortunate enough to run into a squall and/or rough stormy seas, keep ALL hatches and openings to the interior COMPLETLY CLOSED. Also carry ocean grade safety gear with you as well as an ocean grade lifeboat. DO NOT even think of overloading the boat beyond the 26M's capacity as it will be unstable and easily tumble especially withe open high seas.If you want to make the Macgregor even more fit for the high seas make the fiberglass hull stronger of possible by applying fiberglass material inside behind the fiberglass hull structure. It is not the boat that makes it safe, it's the person who owns it that makes it safe.
Goldencrab95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 11:04   #107

Good luck. Just remember Blondie Hassler's (originator of the single handed trans Atlantic race) philosophy . He carried NO radio, No signal flares, etc. when asked why he replied "I have the right to risk my life, not the right to ask others to risk theirs saving me from my stupidity". So go for it in the Mac26, just leave the EPIRB and radio at home.
sailronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 15:28   #108

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldencrab95

The 26M can actually go transatlantic transpacific and around the world IF AND ONLY you know how to use it. It is even proven that the 26M could withstand rough seas and there are pictures and even vedios of the 26M battling Gale Force Winds and 10 to 18 foot waves. It actually did pretty well in the waves and in fact it got less spray on board than the much bigger MacGregor 70. The main key for riding these waves well is the curling and folding states of the sails that gives the sufficient balance of gravity that allows the boat to smoothly and efficiently ride over the rough waves. I am going to give you tips and advantages to make the 26M actually safely go in the open high seas: Keep the water ballast tank COMPLETLY FULL AT ALL TIMES, plan accordingly, Keep an eye out for weather at all times so if you are about to run into a squall or bad weather you could simply kick down the engine and speed away from harms way. For this reason carry as much fuel tanks as safely possible so when this type of situation occurs or you lack wind you could kick down the engine and propell your way down. The 26M is actually safer than most boats and it is proven on the 26M's website. Check it out, type in Macgregor 26M keyword or macgregor26.com go to the safety section and the test in the high seas off Santa Ana and you"ll see what I mean. When you are unfortunate enough to run into a squall and/or rough stormy seas, keep ALL hatches and openings to the interior COMPLETLY CLOSED. Also carry ocean grade safety gear with you as well as an ocean grade lifeboat. DO NOT even think of overloading the boat beyond the 26M's capacity as it will be unstable and easily tumble especially withe open high seas.If you want to make the Macgregor even more fit for the high seas make the fiberglass hull stronger of possible by applying fiberglass material inside behind the fiberglass hull structure. It is not the boat that makes it safe, it's the person who owns it that makes it safe.
No, it couldn't and shouldn't be sailed outside of inland or coastal conditions. To think otherwise is never to have sailed a true offshore passage, knowing what is truly required to do it safely. I am sure the Mcg fits its design brief as a trailer sailor just fine, but offshore??? Not for a second.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 15:30   #109

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73

No, it couldn't and shouldn't be sailed outside of inland or coastal conditions. To think otherwise is never to have sailed a true offshore passage, knowing what is truly required to do it safely. I am sure the Mcg fits its design brief as a trailer sailor just fine, but offshore??? Not for a second.
Ha. Just reread goldencrabs post and think I got trolled. No way can be serious.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 16:20   #110

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
Re: Circumnavigation in MacGregor 26

Yes, malbert, you got trolled.

Horses for courses. You don't take a 48-foot Hallberg Rassy up the inland canals, you don't waterski behind a Nordhavn, and you don't cross oceans in a Mac 26.

A boat's intended use and capabilities are part of its initial design brief, before the hull is even drawn. For the Mac 26, that design brief was for a low cost, general purpose weekend boat in sheltered waters. It plays that role extremely well- better than just about anything else I can think of. And, like any good design, it has a decent shot at surviving conditions beyond what it's meant for. If you're going to be encountering those conditions on a regular basis, you don't push your luck- you sell the boat to someone who'll use it like it's intended to be used, and buy something better suited to your own needs.
Old 08-05-2014, 20:42   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldencrab95 View Post
I still don't understand the bad press against Macgregor sailboats. If I was 2000 miles in the middle of a big blue ocean? What would I prefer under my feet? "A Macgregor that won't sink and bobs" or any other "blue water boat that the keel will send to the bottom"? My food will still be in that Macgregor(sealed), I'll have an inflatable life boat. My personal property will not be at the bottom of the sea...
TBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 22:06   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBass View Post
I still don't understand the bad press against Macgregor sailboats. If I was 2000 miles in the middle of a big blue ocean? What would I prefer under my feet? "A Macgregor that won't sink and bobs" or any other "blue water boat that the keel will send to the bottom"? My food will still be in that Macgregor(sealed), I'll have an inflatable life boat. My personal property will not be at the bottom of the sea...
A former student had a 26X. While he was showing it off to me, I noticed that the chainplates were showing corrosion. It had been in salt water for 2 weeks.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 22:54   #113

("The message you have entered is too short". And so is life)
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 00:02   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBass View Post
May we ask how many times you have completed a passage in excess of 1000nm? I don't think you would fell that way 500 miles from the nearest port in 30 foot seas and 60 knots of wind...you might want something a bit more robust under your feet.
sailronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 00:24   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Hey guys, it's an old thread resurrected.

Coops.
Old 09-05-2014, 00:33   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Hey guys, it's an old thread resurrected.

Coops.
it's the zombie cult thing, mate. The undead, and all ...
Old 09-05-2014, 00:48   #117

People talk glibly about reinforcing the hull, but the skin thickess is manifestly inadequate.

If it was a more suitable shape, I wonder if a lightweight hull like the Mac26 could have the gelcoat scuffed off, the Paris Hilton rudders and rig and fittings discarded,

so the hull could be used as the inside skin (sort of an integral male plug) to kick-start the construction process for a balsa or foam cored twinskin boat?

That way it might at least amount to something strong enough to be worth fitting bulkheads into ...
Old 09-05-2014, 00:54   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
As opposed to the brain dead?

Coops.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:01   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
As opposed to the brain dead?

Coops.
Not sure it's so much "As opposed to " ... as one being a subset of the other ? ? ?
Old 19-05-2014, 14:14   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailronin View Post
May we ask how many times you have completed a passage in excess of 1000nm? I don't think you would fell that way 500 miles from the nearest port in 30 foot seas and 60 knots of wind...you might want something a bit more robust under your feet.
And your point being?
I've read articles and analysis on boating deaths. You stand far less of a chance being killed and losing your vessel than one of these Clorox bottles. They float, they beach, they don't sink. Even a strong swimmer would like the bottle bobbing next to him/her/it.

I like the 26M but may splurge on a Hunter Edge if I find a deal. Dump the motor and drop a wheel controlled minn kota rt160 mounted upside down on a custom made bracket.
I'm also liking the Catalina 250 and Hunter 260. The Hunter rear mast post is perfect for a gimble on the rear mast support for a 250 watt panel feeding rotating 24v banks. I trust these boats, I've looked at the insurance figures. 300k in liability is 150 a year for me and I can sail it around the US non stop. I'm more likely to be killed by a jet ski or drunk power boater.
TBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, macgregor