Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 19:01   #61

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: Circumnavigation in MacGregor 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaivik View Post
I have been planning a solo, non stop circumnavigation in a Mac26 for the past 2 years. I look to leave this summer from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

No major structural upgrades, upgraded deckplates, stays & rigging, reinforced windows/hatch, dodger, hardtop over cockpit (solar cell laminate @ 350W/h max), whisper 1700 water desalinator, 6 x 62amp drycell 12v batteries w/ 2 x 3000W inverter/charger balasts, radar, sat data/voice 256kb/s, depth finder/chartplotter, 1 year food supply from efoodsdirect.com, suzuki 110df outboard w/ 50 gal gas
Have you made out your will and had it properly witnessed?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 19:06   #62

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Just amazing what some will do

Didn't realize it was a blue water cruiser. always learning
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 21:56   #63

Not sure I am up for a circumnavigation in any boat and suspect most of the big talkers here aren't either.

You can go anywhere on any boat, it's been proven. It does come down to what your comfort level and schedule is. We played submarine in a destroyer off of Australia once and I couldn't imagine being in a sailboat - any sailboat.

The 26M is a great boat that makes a great coastal cruiser and they're all over the bahamas and florida right now. It is clearly not a boat that I would want to take offshore nor was it ever intended for this purpose. It has no equal for a lightweight trailer sailor that can go 20mph on motor and sail at 6 knots with very little wind. Oh, and it can go into 18" of water, only the Gemini can match that!

My vote would be no for circumnavigation but I do believe someone is or has done it?
HeartsContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 23:15   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post
You can go anywhere on any boat, it's been proven.
Let me introduce you to my Walker Bay 8 and the Weddell Sea.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 23:19   #65

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We loved our McGregor26M and had it loaded with lots of upgrades but I would want to be sailing costal unless I knew the weather window was for a crossing 100%. Where are you crossing oceans at ? What is your route ?
Old 04-11-2012, 04:20   #66

yes. no problem the m 26 or x could and should be sailed anywhere anytime. these guys are stuffy yachters...m26 is a great boat for a great price. thank you.
elskede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:00   #67
Loz

I've sailed on my mates 26M in pretty rough seas off the Western Australian coast and it fared surprisingly well despite its light construction. Reading this thread reminded me of an Aussie who attempted a circumnavigation in a 23 foot yacht, check out this link, he got more than half way around the world...
http://www.riverearth.com/lostsea/20...1_archive.html
The link doesn't describe what happened a little further on in the voyage.... A dramatic mid ocean rescue!
Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:03   #68

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

The MacGregor 26 M or X is a great boat for its designed envelope. Protected waters, Highways, and harassing jetskis and pontoon boats. I've been on a couple, they are fun. Bluewater? Not with me aboard.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:20   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
The link doesn't describe what happened a little further on in the voyage.... A dramatic mid ocean rescue!
Yeah, they frequently leave that part out, don't they?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:53   #70
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Well, technically one can go over Niagra falls in a barrel and jump out of a spaceship and parachute to the ground, but I'm not doing it.
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:54   #71

roger..dodger. i doubt you'd sail in blue water anyways...probably never have...
thank you.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:00   #72

let me ask you this....a bottle is made of glass....people find them washed up at shore 100 years after a note is placed in them......do you think they fell out of a spaceship or went over the niagra falls to get there......
wow...look at me..now im engrossed in this groups drama what a nightmare...you guys wouldn't get off the couch to make nachos let alone sail anything....especially in blue water!!!
also. we've had a thousand tons of stuff wash ashore on the west coast of the us from japan after the earthquake.....did that fall out of the sky or come from niagra falls!!! ha ha ha
what a joke...
take care...
put your laptop where your mouth is and go sail in blue water...it's a lot safer than close to shore in a lot of different circumstances....
you do crack me up...
thank you.
stephen k r
ha ha ha....
ps. please don't reply to my posts unless you have experience with what im interested in. that is my premier audience.
these are valid questions. i don't want to waste the time of the moderator and myself listenting to your invalid retoric.
i just want to know. where in florida do i leave from and what is the safest and best route to get to puerto rico. and let's just say im taking a jet ski...that's fine...if you have info. please let me know.
thx again.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:35   #73
RKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskede View Post
let me ask you this....a bottle is made of glass....people find them washed up at shore 100 years after a note is placed in them......do you think they fell out of a spaceship or went over the niagra falls to get there......
wow...look at me..now im engrossed in this groups drama what a nightmare...you guys wouldn't get off the couch to make nachos let alone sail anything....especially in blue water!!!
also. we've had a thousand tons of stuff wash ashore on the west coast of the us from japan after the earthquake.....did that fall out of the sky or come from niagra falls!!! ha ha ha
what a joke...
take care...
put your laptop where your mouth is and go sail in blue water...it's a lot safer than close to shore in a lot of different circumstances....
you do crack me up...
thank you.
stephen k r
ha ha ha....
ps. please don't reply to my posts unless you have experience with what im interested in. that is my premier audience.
these are valid questions. i don't want to waste the time of the moderator and myself listenting to your invalid retoric.
i just want to know. where in florida do i leave from and what is the safest and best route to get to puerto rico. and let's just say im taking a jet ski...that's fine...if you have info. please let me know.
thx again.
wow. apparently I touched a nerve. Didn't mean to set you off, pardner.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:38   #74
RKO

In fact, elskede, I just realized you are not the original poster to whom I was replying. So I wasn't even speaking to you. You might try switching to Sanka.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:18   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskede View Post
ps. please don't reply to my posts unless you are going to tell me what I want to hear, because I've already made up my mind and I just came here hoping to have everyone tell me what a great idea it is.
There. I fixed it for you.

Good rule of thumb: If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question in the first place.

denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, macgregor