Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 11:38   #46

Re: Circumnavigation in MacGregor 26

I'm new to posting on this forum, although I've been reading for a long time (I do NOT want to get into discussions with the people on this forum). Just thought I would send an interesting link regarding this question:

Cruising Log of the Murrelet

This guy swears anything is possible on a Macgregor and gives articles to explain why. He gives 11 "myths of sailing" that tries to counter what most sailing community people believe. Whether he is right I don't have the experience to answer, but it is interesting to read. It never hurts to listen to all opinions (something I've noticed is not very popular on this forum but I'm putting it out there anyway) and decide for yourself what you think is right.

Again, I am not advocating this man's ideas, just putting them out there.
gyspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 13:36   #47

When the 26X came out, I went down to our local dealer and looked. Now, I'm really a small power boat guy who has sailed a few times. I was impressed with the looks, (Dath Vader) the clean modern interior, the room compared to my larger cuddy, the idea of water balast and the motorsailor aspect with a 50 hp merc on the back! WOW, the possibilities!

I'm not one for an emotional purchase, unless it's a houseor a vehicle (cars, trucks and motorcycles), so I called the factory and asked an engineer some novice questions.

I asked if it was safe to take it off shore, say to the Bahamas, Hawaii or thrown the ICW. His reply was that it was designed as a day sailor, mainly for lakes or cruising under power. He said he would not go very far off shore with a 26X as it was not a blue water cruiser. He even suggested that I look at Flicka or other boats.

I asked another guy later about building up the boat and I was told that it wouldnot be worth trying to reengineer a glass boat.
So, I have forgotten about a 26X.

Other than that, I have no knowledge about the 26X.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:29   #48

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Peter O had some excellent thoughts. I would add just a couple of items. First, a parachute sea anchor and some storm sails are very important. Tools also are critical along with the the appropriate references such as Nigel Calder's 900 page tome on boat repairs and others. Finally, identify those items that you want to entertain yourself. It's going to be a long trip and at some point you'll want something to take your mind off of where you are. This is especially important if you're traveling on a budget. Good luck.

Cheers,

Dave B.
Dufour 27
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:13   #49

I have just returned from sailing my 26m from hong Kong to Vietnam 1500k. She performed perfect and we did encounter force 6 and 7 you have to sail them in a certain way, modify a few bits of the boat.

If anyone wants to know more details then let me know thanks.
Ian
Ianriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:24   #50

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianriley
I have just returned from sailing my 26m from hong Kong to Vietnam 1500k. She performed perfect and we did encounter force 6 and 7 you have to sail them in a certain way, modify a few bits of the boat.

Ian
Please do start a new thread and let us know of the trip. I'm curious
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 18:05   #51

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

There's a couple of guys who canoed across the Tasman who nearly got killed doing that are about to set off to the Antarctic from Australia. I reckon it's a death wish and I'd rather do a circumnavigation in a Mac 26. There's another thread titled "will she tip" which has links to the capsize formula. I put the Mac 26 figures in and fully ballasted it cam out at 2.3, the worst figures I have seen for any boat. This formula makes no allowance for how far below the waterline the ballast might be and obviously because of hull design the Mac 26 ballast is not low down. Of course, then you'd need to add food, luggage stores and some spares which because of the design of the boat would all have to be above the waterline. Maybe the canoe trip to the South Pole is safer but, surely there's a MacGregor 26 salesman on here prepared to have a go and "prove" how good these boats are.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 19:58   #52

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianriley View Post

Ian
Yes, Please start another thread cos I would be interested in your experience too.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 13:10   #53

I have been planning a solo, non stop circumnavigation in a Mac26 for the past 2 years. I look to leave this summer from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

No major structural upgrades, upgraded deckplates, stays & rigging, reinforced windows/hatch, dodger, hardtop over cockpit (solar cell laminate @ 350W/h max), whisper 1700 water desalinator, 6 x 62amp drycell 12v batteries w/ 2 x 3000W inverter/charger balasts, radar, sat data/voice 256kb/s, depth finder/chartplotter, 1 year food supply from efoodsdirect.com, suzuki 110df outboard w/ 50 gal gas
Kaivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 13:29   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaivik View Post
I have been planning a solo, non stop circumnavigation in a Mac26 for the past 2 years. I look to leave this summer from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

No major structural upgrades, upgraded deckplates, stays & rigging, reinforced windows/hatch, dodger, hardtop over cockpit (solar cell laminate @ 350W/h max), whisper 1700 water desalinator, 6 x 62amp drycell 12v batteries w/ 2 x 3000W inverter/charger balasts, radar, sat data/voice 256kb/s, depth finder/chartplotter, 1 year food supply from efoodsdirect.com, suzuki 110df outboard w/ 50 gal gas
Hmm, what are the 2 x 3000w inverter/charger for then?

Do you have any photos of your yacht with all that lot fitted?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 13:35   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7

Hmm, what are the 2 x 3000w inverter/charger for then?

Do you have any photos of your yacht with all that lot fitted?

Pete
Don't forget your water skis.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 13:37   #56

only one charger at a time
Old 19-02-2012, 13:39   #57

If your last name is Shackleton you might give it a whirl.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 13:47   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaivik View Post
only one charger at a time
Oh, ok, so why do you need 3kw inverter on board a Mac 26 on a solo trans ocean voyage?

were do you store this btw:

suzuki 110df

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 14:43   #59

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Good luck is all I can say on your cyrcumnavication in the MacGregor 26 you might carry extra rudder brackets as they crack under stress like big waves. A good harness and tether so when you roll you will stay with the boat. I would up grade the roller furrler and sails and add 3 reefs, no need for a storm jib, you don't want to be on deck in rough seas ever.

You should check out www.solotheamericas.org he is in a small boat also and is close to being done. Around north America thru the NW passage and around the Horn of South America.
Old 19-02-2012, 15:35   #60

Suzuki Marine - Product Lines - Outboard Motors - Products - DF115 - 2012 - DF115

my 110 is 4 years old replaced by the df115

i have also replaced the rudder brackets and have a replacement daggerboard and rudders

Tags
circumnavigation, macgregor