Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 08:03   #31

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Circumnavigation in MacGregor 26

Have you checked out Sven Yrvind's project?
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:57   #32

Boat: Watkins 29'

A few years ago, Michael Perham sailed across the Atlantic and became the youngest to do so aboard a Tide 28', a boat with many simularities as a Mac 26.

Michael Perham's Atlantic record-breaking Tide 28 trailer-sailer yacht

Of course the Tide 28 is much more robust, and the Mac 26' is designed as a very light weight trailer sailer. I suppose if you threw enough money at the project you could beef up a Mac 26 just to prove a point...
The Mac boats get their fair share of negative press thats for sure, but the concept of a power/sailer cruising boat that lives on a trailer in its off time is a good one. With this insane economy we live with today you would think other companies other than Hunter and MacGreggor would jump on the band wagon.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:18   #33

I have two observations about Macgregors.

Caveat - I have not sailed one.

1) I saw one that had been in salt water for two weeks. There was corrosion on one of the chainplates.

2) I was invited to look at one that was in a local dealer's shop for repair. What I thought was a gelcoat crack where the coaming joined the bulkhead, was actually all the way through the fiberglass.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:23   #34

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes View Post
I suppose if you threw enough money at the project you could beef up a Mac 26 just to prove a point...
Yes and that's exactly what the guy who curcumnavigated in the Catalina 27 did. He beefed up the rigging, the chainplates, the rudder, etc. You would also want to add stringers and other internal structural support. It could be done with a MacGregor also-- but as you suggest, what's the point?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:49   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes and that's exactly what the guy who curcumnavigated in the Catalina 27 did. He beefed up the rigging, the chainplates, the rudder, etc. You would also want to add stringers and other internal structural support. It could be done with a MacGregor also-- but as you suggest, what's the point?
The Cat-27 also started out as a fixed keel, iron(I think) ballasted boat, NOT designed to be an as light on a trailer as possible water ballasted toy. Its original rigging, while not particularly robust, was heavier than the Mac's. Its mast wasn't designed to be easy to erect and drop. Its hull shape was not a compromise to allow planing under power.

In short, not a good comparison.

Cheers,
Old 20-06-2011, 07:00   #36

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I have heard so many times on this forum the old saw about it not being the boat, but the skipper, that I decided to throw out the ultimate question.

Let's hear it!
www.microcruising.com then look at famous small boats.

I would say if a 3'11" boat could make it across a MacGregor 26 would make it also. Not saying I would want to make the trip on it but in the right hands and the right time of year sure.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 07:06   #37

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Heck, if you could carry enough fuel you could just motor across with that 50 hp outboard (weather permitting).
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 07:10   #38

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Heck, if you could carry enough fuel you could just motor across with that 50 hp outboard (weather permitting).
Yea while pulling a tube
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 12:21   #39

Boat: Norsea 27

Having spent three months on my 74 Venture 25 (MacGregor) cruising the Florida Keys to the Dry Tortugas then to the Bahamas I learned that the ability to bounce around like a cork keeps you afloat but not comfortable. It was in 1980 and we were caught out on the Bahama bank for three days during Hurricane Allen. It was my first cruise and didn't understand how big an area is effected by a hurricane. We surfed down the steep face of waves in the middle of the night and once broached and surfed sideways for 20 minutes. If I had something other than the 600 pound swing keel we might have rolled over. The only damage was the forstay attach moved a bit in the deck and water over the floorboards from a mystery source. We survived but wouldn't do it again. I definately wouldn't do it in a water ballast boat.

We did carry 20 gallons of water and 18 gallons of fuel. There were enough thunderstorms at the time to collect water in a bucket off the end of the boom. Carrying a couple of months of rations really raises the waterline.

That whole adventure is why I have a Norsea now.
rocksculpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 15:17   #40

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowingdude View Post
Everything I've read in my research for a boat said the Mac26 will fall apart when put out into "real water".. therefore, I'm sure it can be done, if you sacrifice twenty goats and three virgins to Poseidon.
Don't let David Old Jersey hear about the goat sacrifice.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 12:50   #41

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

For a serious professional opinion, you need to contact the folk’s who built the boat.
Having first assured them that you have not recently escaped from a secure mental facility, tell them what you have in mind and ask them what changes / improvements might be required for a safe passage.
You might also want to invite them to come along for the ride and see how much they like That idea.
I’m guessing that after consulting their lawyers, they will advise you to trade the Mac 26 lake cruiser for a properly built blue water boat. They might also suggest changing your medication since the stuff you’re on right now seems to be impairing your judgement… James.....
Old 21-06-2011, 14:01   #42

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We had a MacGregor 26M a 2006 model that we sold last winter and traded up to our catamaran. It was set up as there Super Cruser for the Salish Sea and the San Juan Islands around Seattle WA with a 70 hp ,radar,3 reefs,chartplotter,heat, ect. We spent lots of time on it in rough conditions and the boat is too tender we couldn,t keep enough sail up to sail up big waves comforably and if you did like there vidio on there web site shows for more than a few hours you would be totally exausted. We did get it up to 10.5 mph surfing 5 ft wind waves on the 3rd reef in the Columbia river gorge, It was like riding a bronc. Some folks take them to BVI without any problem motorsailing at 6 mph most of the way there is plenty of range 1gal an hour at 6 mph with 24 gal onboard.
Old 23-07-2011, 17:13   #43

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!

Nice post webejammin,

I think the Mac 26M is great for the Pugent sound and San Juans. As far as being off shore I think not! I might just be a little scared about not having a keel. Maybe I need to be schooled on water balast or something lol I was actually just looking at a 26M like the one you had at BWY and was planning on keeping at clover island to play around. The idea of a small beam to take to Fl in winter does sound appealing! Guess its a trade off... Also looking now for a small Com Pac 25 for same purpose. Think you might have guessed I want to be in Florida for the winter lol..

Cheers
topfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 17:27   #44

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!

webejammin, I should mention after selling my larger boat I used to keep at everett- to sail the islands. I sold it and have been looking for a smaller boat I can trailor to Florida for in the winter. Of course I would be back sailing the PNW in the summer. I really like the 26M for that- as also like the compac 25 and the Dana 24. Keep in mind there is a huge weight difference with the latter.

Cheers
topfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 10:43   #45

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

There's a MacGregor web forum "macgregorsailors.com" of which I used to be "bubba" on there. Many folks from all over trailor to Fla and cruse over to the Bahamas for several months in the winter even folks from eastern Canada that trailored thrugh the snow. Some folks pull up in very shallow waters anout 12 inches and beach if the swells get rough. With a 40 to 70 hp motor crossing is not a big deal and picking your weather window to sail from island to island is no big deal. The first time I went to the Bahamas was on a swing keel 22 ft Catalina back in the early 70's and I think the extra water ballast would have helped some. With the high water level of the Columbia river this year were kind of stuck on lake Wallulla untill the flow at the dams and locks slow so we could get back up stream, If we still had our MacGregor we would have launched at Anacourtes and crused the San Jusn Islands for the 4th summer.

PM me if your around Clover Island and we'll visit.

Tags
circumnavigation, macgregor