Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 08:38   #1

Chosing between mono, and other

I'd you had $50G to spend on a boat,

And you wanted to live on $800 a month in the USA,

Cruise blue water around the world,

I'm pretty much asking if it's possible to do it on a multi-hull?
ET12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 09:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Chosing between mono, and other

Yes.. both tri and cats can be bought for less than $50K..
Its more down to your comfort level/size.. some will be to small for comfort unless camping is in your gene's.. like Telstars..
Old Prouts, Endeavours, Iroquois... a bit of TLC/upgrades may be needed..

1992 C Cat/Endeavour Cat 3214 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:26   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Chosing between mono, and other

Boatie! He won't be able to fit his bathtub in any of those boats. (Other than a Prout 45).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 20:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Boatie! He won't be able to fit his bathtub in any of those boats. (Other than a Prout 45).
I'm sure your the one...
ET12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 08:32   #5

Boat: Boatless

No

(They say I need a few more characters to post so here you go) :-)

Not trying to be snarky, just concise.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 10:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Yes, you can. There are a number of multihulls that fit within your budget. There are also a significant number of people that cruise on less than $800 per month. There are a heap of caveats, though - likely insurance only when its absolutely necessary, do your own maintenance, anchor out etc. Its all very do-able. A lot also depends on where you are. Once away from first world cruising areas the costs can come tumbling down. Big budget items (assuming boat is all good) can include sickness/dentist, transit fees (Suez/Panama etc) and cruising permits/entry fee's/visa's etc.
Kit the boat before leaving, including long term food stuffs and you can have a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET12 View Post
I'd you had $50G to spend on a boat,

And you wanted to live on $800 a month in the USA,

Cruise blue water around the world,

I'm pretty much asking if it's possible to do it on a multi-hull?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 10:41   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Its possible to do it on a multihull, but for $25G you can get an equivalent mono.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 00:10   #8

You can do it, but I would buy a good small boat not a crappy bigger boat.
One of the books that got me into boats was "Shrimpy" by Shane Acton. He sailed an 18ft mono around the world in the 80's, but he was an ex-marine and an exceptional character.
You could coast hop in those days, sadly some places are not so friendly now.
Dave
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 06:52   #9

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Very tough parameters. $50k will cover a boat and refit in the 30k initial price area and monohulls fitting that are far easier to locate. The $800/month is also tough but doable only if you live on the hook and spend very conservatively. It also helps if you can do a lot of maintenance yourself without hiring skilled labor. No boat is maintenance free and old boats tend to be worse than the more expensive newer ones. Your operating budged needs to allow for this just as your purchase budget needs to include a reserve for major surprises in the first few years.
So the answer is a definite maybe but you run a real risk of a financial squeeze down the line. If you can find a very well maintained blue water cruiser at $20-25k go for it but have a plan B just in case.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 08:04   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have you looked at Heavenly twins? See this one for an idea: http://heavenlytwins.co.uk/distantdrummer.pdf
....but at the asking price it would wipe you out. You could always make an offer, of course. The asking price is only a guide - and at this time of the year buyers are scarce in Europe. Remember, with this beam the boat also can go through the French canal system. We have seen one of these boats circumnavigating in Durban harbour and another transitting the Red Sea.

In comparison, this next page,
Heavenly twins boats for sale - NewsNow Classifieds
lists several HT 27's at very affordable prices which would allow for a significant element of refitting.

These little centre cockpit boats are terrifically seaworthy and have a lot of accomodation for their size as well as a decent living arrangement.

The Prout Quest can also be 'had' within the budget - typically these look like:
ELOISE Prout Quest 33
but I suspect that this particular one shall again be too expensive. The above commentary about asking price still holds good, though.

There are a number of alternative cats in the same size and price range, as well as long list of some really decent similarly sized/priced monohulls.

Doing your own maintenance can be challenging initially but there is a huge amount of help, assistance and advice available, from forums such as this, via Nigel Calders books (I swear by his Boatowners maintenance manual) and from neighbouring boats etc. Keep the boat simple and you'll learn to manage most things.

As I said before, once out of first world comfort area's the costs usually plunge. You would be stunned at how cheap the Indian Ocean can be (not everywhere) with place like East Africa/Madagascar etc being ridiculously cheap in comparison to Cariibbean, Western Europe etc.

Good luck and let us know how you get on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Very tough parameters. $50k will cover a boat and refit in the 30k initial price area and monohulls fitting that are far easier to locate. The $800/month is also tough but doable only if you live on the hook and spend very conservatively. It also helps if you can do a lot of maintenance yourself without hiring skilled labor. No boat is maintenance free and old boats tend to be worse than the more expensive newer ones. Your operating budged needs to allow for this just as your purchase budget needs to include a reserve for major surprises in the first few years.
So the answer is a definite maybe but you run a real risk of a financial squeeze down the line. If you can find a very well maintained blue water cruiser at $20-25k go for it but have a plan B just in case.
Old 30-12-2016, 08:24   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Have you looked at Heavenly twins? See this one for an idea: http://heavenlytwins.co.uk/distantdrummer.pdf
....but at the asking price it would wipe you out. You could always make an offer, of course. The asking price is only a guide - and at this time of the year buyers are scarce in Europe. Remember, with this beam the boat also can go through the French canal system. We have seen one of these boats circumnavigating in Durban harbour and another transitting the Red Sea.
Just a minor clarification. The HT 27 is different from the previous models, the main difference is stoop walk through from the front to the rear cabins without having to go topsides and walk across the cockpit.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 08:32   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cute boats tho', Weavis, hey?
I didnt know about the stoop thru' but that could be an appealing feature. Before I got married I often thought one of thoese would suffice for my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Just a minor clarification. The HT 27 is different from the previous models, the main difference is stoop walk through from the front to the rear cabins without having to go topsides and walk across the cockpit.
Old 30-12-2016, 08:36   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Cute boats tho', Weavis, hey?
I didnt know about the stoop thru' but that could be an appealing feature. Before I got married I often thought one of thoese would suffice for my needs.
My buddy boatman61 has delivered at least one and has a similar height affliction to yourself.... he says that the cabins are just a tad short for comfort given his loftiness....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 10:11   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, Weavis, I have comms with Boatman61 from time to time - similar tastes as we both are motorcyclists. You are right in that a number of cats present height restrictions for us tall okes - it has got me out of washing up / cooking many a time.
Happy New Year to you and yours as well as all reading this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
My buddy boatman61 has delivered at least one and has a similar height affliction to yourself.... he says that the cabins are just a tad short for comfort given his loftiness....
Old 30-12-2016, 13:08   #15
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Yes it is possible. Have cash in hand and be patient. Occasionally a really good deal comes along and you have to be ready to buy. You may also find a one of or some form of plywood/ wood composite catamaran for a really good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote