Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2013, 07:03   #31

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Re: Choosing the cruising boat

A lot of good information here. I looked at pretty much the same list of boats. It's a good list. I really liked the Pacific Seacraft, but a 40 was out of the budget and the 37 felt too small. My heart lusted for the Cabo Rico, and my head was saying an IP would be more practical for living. My heart won, as it always does. I think they are all good boats though. I have friends that just traded up from a Caliber 40 LRC to a IP 465. It a big and very comfortable boat. Seems well built. IP's just don't speak to me, but that's just me. They clearly do speak to a lot of other people. There is no one best boat, but there is likely a best boat for you. You need to figure out what is important to you and then climb around the boats to see which ones best fit. And sail them. If I can answer any specific questions about the Cabo Rico, ask away.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 08:33   #32

Hello,

A number of people have said that I need to sail the various boat types that I am interested in. How do I do that?

Brad
Luigi3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 08:46   #33

The Hans Christian is way too much exterior maintenance, built too heavy unnecessarily, and a terrible ride in less than 15 knots of wind. Also, be careful when buying a heavy boat like these, some did not have adequate power. Mine had the old 3QM30 yanmar (30 hp) and would not power or motor sail through a heavy chop.... wallowing. Others had the Perkins 4-108 which the boat needs. The tanks are also buried under the cabin sold and gettting real old....
Have you considered a Passport 40-42? another possible option.
Also, a rather unknown boat, the Tollycraft 39 (Fast Passage 39) if you can find one. Kind of a better looking Valiant 40. Great design and no one in the US built a better boat than Tolly. http://bluewaterboats.org/fast-passage-39/

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 08:46   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi3188 View Post
Hello,

A number of people have said that I need to sail the various boat types that I am interested in. How do I do that?

Brad
Yeah, I see people say that all the time here......... lots of luck with that.....

Old 19-04-2013, 08:49   #35

When you ask a question like "Which boat should I choose?", I guess you get the answer you might expect.

The list of a handful of boats that are "approved" by blogging sailors, a few putdowns of competing boats (which as often as not people haven't sailed or lived on), with a special commendation for the boats people commenting own.

The wisest opinions seem to be to figure out what type of sailing you're actually going to do for the next three years, and seek out the local people who are doing that. This will yield some good options and a realistic perspective, and those people will be more than happy to let you take a look at their boats, and possibly go on a sail.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 09:04   #36

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

I have always been able to sail the boat(model or exact boat) I was seriously considering before buying. Track down local owners. Sailors love to show off their boats. Show up with a 6 pack and a bottle of good wine.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 09:11   #37
Marine Service Provider

Are you racing? No. Cruising around the world for years? Maybe. Going to the Bahamas or really far away islands? I would base my decision on certain immutable factors, first being which boat has the most comfortable interior? Which boat has the most comfortable cockpit and helm? There is a big difference between amount of wood on the Cabo Rico and the Island Packet. But you'll get opinions from those who love one of these types or dislike one of these types? Which has the best layout and sailplan? The best underwater hull and running gear for your concerns? Engine access? Storage? One head is fine--who needs two? Which boat will allow you to sail, anchor and live-aboard with the most comfort? And finally--the draft? 5'? 5.5? 6' or more? How much does that matter? And finally for real this time--the sail area versus displacement and other ratios or formulas can be good guides for stability, speed and comfort. Don't obsess. After all, it's only money and with the boats you are looking at, money does not appear to be as much as an object as it might be for another lineup of boats.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 09:13   #38

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Smile Re: Choosing the cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
With the Island Packet, you'll get 2 heads, which is pretty rare for a 38 ft. cruiser.
I suppose that's a great feature if you have a stomach ailment? Why else would one want 2 heads on a 38ft boat?
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 13:42   #39

Boat: HC 33T

I owned a HC 33T for ten years, sailed her a little over 23,000 ocean miles. Never had a teak deck leak anywhere. But of the choices you listed I'd chose the IP as well. Just as nice interior, low maintence on the outside, and sails considerably better in light winds. A lot more expensive usually too.
Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 16:59   #40

Bumper,

The first Hans we ever saw was a 33 at a local boat show. We fell in love with the boat. We were amazed at how much room there was below. I loved the pullman berth as well.

I think you are probably right about the IP. I have been looking at a lot of IP 40's lately.

A HC 43 was recently posted for sale locally. We have not been out to see it yet. Do you know anything about them?

Brad
Luigi3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 22:22   #41

Bumper,

There is a Hans 43 ketch that can be chartered from San Juan Sailing in Bellingham, WA, Argounaut. My wife and I sailed her twice to get a feel for a heavy cruiser. Great in heavier wind (not Light air) but comfortable and seaworthy.
We currently are rebuilding a 33t from 82' and will sail soon.
I agree that you need to make the choice based on what is right for you.
Sundownsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:29   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
I owned a HC 33T for ten years, sailed her a little over 23,000 ocean miles. Never had a teak deck leak anywhere. But of the choices you listed I'd chose the IP as well. Just as nice interior, low maintence on the outside, and sails considerably better in light winds. A lot more expensive usually too.
How would you know if you had a leak? It would be going into the core not into the boat.....

Old 24-04-2013, 11:13   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
How would you know if you had a leak? It would be going into the core not into the boat.....
Well for one thing I sanded and recaulked, in doing so I also reset the screws deeper close to 1/8" into the core. I also had the deck core checked with all the plugs out for moisture and it was dry as a bone and I never saw any signs of water damage. Soooo, I'm assuming it never leaked based on no evidence that it had. Mine was built in 82 for Hans Christian. It was in the 82 Long Beach, Ca. Boat show and all the brouchure's photo's were taken from her. In later boats (HC 33Ts) they screwed the decks from the inside and they were plug free. But then when the decks wore down you had all these screw points to walk on or the expense of replacing the decks. Don't know if these easier faster ways of doing it caused leaks or not. I've notice how they have cheapened the boat's construction in many ways over the years, example: my main wenches were mounted on one solid piece of teak, in newer boats it's two pieces with chaulking going down the middle. My electrical panal and battery switches were much more heavy duty and expensive then what they were using later on too. Maybe I was just lucky but I've only seen one other HC 33T that I would have perfered over the one I had.
Old 24-04-2013, 11:17   #44

Re: Choosing The Cruising Boat

A HC 43 was recently posted for sale locally. We have not been out to see it yet. Do you know anything about them?>>

Never sailed on one Brad but had a friend who traded in his 33 for the 43 and told me he regretted it. But then he was a single handler too.
Old 24-04-2013, 11:32   #45

Re: Choosing The Cruising Boat

Sundownsailing wrote:" We currently are rebuilding a 33t from 82' and will sail soon." Interesting! Mine was an 82 also. If you ever feel the need to discuss something about it feel free to private message me.

Tags
cruising