Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 19:00   #1

Boat: Gozzard 44
Choices

Raised a family, built a business, and now want to start sailing. Forty five years ago I sailed Chesapeake and offshore down to Frorida. Got in my blood and after years the wife is now excited about getting started. Plan to work on the boat, get some experience in the Chesapeake then start venturing south.

Looking at a 44 Gozzard, 380 IP and a 440 IP. Gozzard needs cosmetic work, 44 IP needs auto pilot and AC, 38 IP needs a generator. Not sure the AC is important and believe with some advice I could install it, same with the generator. Not sure about the auto pilot.

Looking for advice on the importance of air conditioning and any advice the two of us sailing the various boats.

I am sure I will be asking for a lot more advice.
Setitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 21:07   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Choices

Welcome to the forum...all nice boats
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Setitus.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:35   #4

Boat: gozzard 44

I've had a G44B since 2002 and would recommend it over any of your other choices. What year and model Gozzard are you considering? Gozzards are overbuilt and the factory gives outstanding support. In fact, if you need major work done they will restore the boat to better than new.

If you plan to spend any time in the Chesapeake or the SE you'll be glad you have AC, particularly at marinas. If you anchor out you'll need a genset to operate the AC.

PM me if you want more information.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:19   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

air coonditioning is only necessary in an airless marina.
no wind, hot. fans work. try that first.
if you cannot tolerate the heat and humidity, find a way to install air. otherwise, concentrate on the sailing and cruising.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:21   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

a 38 and a 380 are different boats, a 380 is the same as an IP 35, Lord I'd bet a 440 is massive compared to a 380.
If I could swing it money wise I'd go with the 440. Autopilots, Radars / chart plotters, and the like are easy, buy the boat you want, then equip it with what you like, and you'll be happier than you will buying a boat that is equipped like you want.
I have a generator and air conditioners, if you only winter in FL I guess you don't need them, but nice to have.

I installed both AC's and the generator, it's not difficult from a technical perspective, just a lot of work physically, but I know where everything is, until CRS kicks in anyhow.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The 440 doesn't have an AC? Or it does but it needs replacing? Because replacing one isn't a whole lot more work than changing the tire on a car, amazing how easy it is. I have installed one from scratch and replaced one, the one I replaced was a half a day job, not hurrying tops.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:00   #8

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

If you live with air conditioning now. You'll find living without difficult. I live with a woman who gets cold easily so rather than fight over the thermostat we quit using air conditioning 20 years ago although we live in Texas where we have 104 degree summers.

When I lived on my Ericson 32 in Antigua I had no air conditioning. Some evenings in the marina especially there would be no breezes, but I had acclimated well enough at the time to endure it with out much problem.

I recently read a book by Thomas Stevens who rode a bicycle around the world in 1883. He complained that while in India unless the fan-walla could stay awake all night to fan him, he couldn't sleep the night in India without having to arise and thrash the walla awake. Mr Stevens started his trip from San Francisco, which is like living in air conditioning all the time.

So it'll depend on what you're used to.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:32   #9

As stated by others, AC is needed within a marina environment, out on the hook I would not run a gen just for AC, you would be surprised at how you can adapt with a nice fan out on the hook. The other upside of the AC is reverse cycle and can use heat in the fall.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 10:37   #10

I was dead set on buying the IP 38 until I hitched a ride on a Shannon 38. The deal breaker for me was the Shannon was laid up with high density foam since 1982 instead of balsa. The rest were minor things I could have learned to live with but the balsa (in most) was something I didn't want after learning about the process and materials used on other boats compared to the Shannon. It's an opinion that doesn't change the way she sails but for me it's the piece of mind. Not trying to change your mind, just offering my input. There is a video on the net that shows the whole process. Good luck and many pleasant miles.
blwgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 10:53   #11

Boat: Gozzard 44

Thank you all for your input. The choice is made. We have a contract on the Gozzard 44. Survey is this Friday. Looking forward to getting started.
Setitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 11:18   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, blwgrace.

FWIW:
http://www.shannonyachts.com/38hps-s...ackage-web.pdf

Instead of using balsa or foam core material, Island Packet use their own "Polycore" which is a matrix of glass microballoons and polyester resin. I have no information on how this compares in weight and strength to well documented and more traditional deck core materials.
The hulls are laid using a solid laminate of alternating mat triaxial fiberglass /w polyester resin.

http://www.carsonhowe.com/files/IP_3...ers_Manual.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 21:29   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setitus View Post
Thank you all for your input. The choice is made. We have a contract on the Gozzard 44. Survey is this Friday. Looking forward to getting started.
Hope it goes well for you! Send photos!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote