Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2009, 20:46   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Old racing boats make great fast cruisers and can be had for cheep."
Can a race horse ever make a good plow horse?

Some racers can be converted, many more are not worth the effort as there may be zero interior, literally a 2hp pusher for docking and no way to install a proper engine or engine bed, and rigging that needs to be totally redesigned, i.e. running backstays removed so a short-handed cruiser won't snap off the stick. Many of the higher end racers are also literally built so lightly they'd break in an ocean storm, because racers just don't go out in that weather--except the ones building expensive boats for the global races.

Some can be bargains, but others can be traps for the newbie who isn't aware just how different they can be. Caveat emptor.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 03:05   #32

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
I wouldn't go for the Albin Vega. Sure, a few have circumnavigated, but this was never their intended use. Per Brohäll, a swedish naval architect designed the Vega in the 60's and it was designed as a family cruiser to be used in the sheltered swedish and scandinavian waters. It requires a few modifications to come close to being a safe blue water cruiser. Having said that, it's an amazing little boat that have taken tens of thousand of people out on the water. That 3600 were built in less than 20 years speaks for itself.

Regarding Taiwanese built boats; There seems to be differencies between different yards and even within the same yard but different years. I've seen both good and bad. Most of them still sail though, after more than 30 years. If you find a boat, any boat, that has 30+ years under it's keel and is still in good condition it's either a high quality boat, a very careful owner or both. After looking around at both good and bad, we finally found a William Garden ketch in excellent condition. Build quality is totally different from others we looked at (different yard) and we couldn't be more happy.

Good luck!
Old 15-05-2009, 06:47   #33

Boat: Beneteau First 42
First 38

Take a look at the Beneteau First 38 1984 Beneteau First 38 for sale in Denison, TX: Cruiser (sail) - SailboatTraderOnline.com . More information from Liz and Andy Copeland http://www.nealalexander.com/sitebui...iles/ben38.pdf

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 15:18   #34

Boat: Pearson 35 -Miss Annis
Since I have no idea how deep your pockets are I would suggest one of the Pearson boats. Reasonably priced ,fairley fast ,and well built .The 35 is considered a costal cruser, however they have been seen all over the world. Mine has been in 60 knot winds and 20 foot seas.I would consider the larger Shaw designs to be Water boats">Blue Water boats. Another thing to add the person at the helm is the #1 requirement for a blue water Boat.Also in the same price range you might consider a Morgan.
You might like to check out the www.pearson35.com web site
roscoe
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 22:07   #35

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Something that is setup for in cabin controls,"
I'd call that a pilot house boat, which automatically puts it into the realm of "motorsailer" not sailboat. A pilot house means more hull above the waterline, more problems from windage, excess weight, and more likely to roll over as the center of gravity gets higher. (Or a slower boat as you add more lead to compensate for it.)

Classic bluewater cruiser? Not in a motorsailer, that's like calling a zebra a horse.

I might be forgiven for thinking, based on your above comment, you don't know a damn thing about what a modern pilot house yacht is or can do:

Buizen Pilot House Yachts

Buizen Pilot House Yachts
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 08:18   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I might be forgiven for thinking, based on your above comment, you don't know a damn thing about what a modern pilot house yacht is or can do:"
And since the OP asked specifically about OLDER BOATS, I might ask you to focus your remarks on them, pilothouse or otherwise. Buizen's very first 40 was built in 1996, according to their won web site. Such boats are new, expensive, and scarce, they are not the subject of CHEAP-ISH BLUE WATER CRUISERS.

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses--not zebras. Unless you're in zebra country. Modern expensive pilothouse boats? That's not relevant here. Focus.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 08:43   #37

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
If you can find a Hughes 38,is what you describe.I am happy with my boat,its fast, seaworthy and ,(gulp) an affordable S&S design.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 11:11   #38

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I might be forgiven for thinking, based on your above comment, you don't know a damn thing about what a modern pilot house yacht is or can do:"
And since the OP asked specifically about OLDER BOATS, I might ask you to focus your remarks on them, pilothouse or otherwise. Buizen's very first 40 was built in 1996, according to their won web site. Such boats are new, expensive, and scarce, they are not the subject of CHEAP-ISH BLUE WATER CRUISERS.

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses--not zebras. Unless you're in zebra country. Modern expensive pilothouse boats? That's not relevant here. Focus.

LOL, LOL, LOL

With due respect HS, you have with your post in effect hyjacked this thread (something I believe too often occurs and I am surprised moderators don't "moderate" it more closely). I suggest you re-read some of your posts on this thread.

They became not focussed on "older & cheaper", and instead focussed on "how bad", or more accurately "why pilot-house sailboats shouldn't be called sailboats (BTW we call all types of 'keelers' down here "yachts", and sizeable power boats a "launch")

I would probably agree with you, though it would only be an opinion not based on fact, that the idea and design for pilot-house yachts was precipitated by exploring what could be done to make a motor sailer, a real sail boat comprising some of the attributes of the former.

However, I would in no way agree with, as you have implied, that a motor-sailer and pilot-house yacht both have "hoofs".

Oh ... and one closing thought: Your statement above: "Such boats are new, expensive, and scarce" ... yeah I know ... and I like that about them ... that's why I own one!

(However you failed to mention: extremely comfortable and sea-worthy, fast, better designed and constructed than most sail boats, exceptionally better equipped, as well as a few other accurate descriptions)

BTW, what sailboat do you own at present?????
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 18:00   #39

Boat: Pearson 35 -Miss Annis
check out Pearson Information site
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 18:35   #40

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38 - Mayero
Send a message via AIM to NDSinBKK Send a message via Skype™ to NDSinBKK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8OR-X View Post
Hi Marco,

I'm in the market for a used boat in the mid 30s and a Sigma 36 caught my eye.
I looked at a Sigma 36 last weekend. For sale in Langkawi, Malaysia. Very nicely outfitted and maintained little boat, with a young family of four living aboard while they repair/restore a larger HR. They sailed it to Malaysia from the UK.

Link here:

Pippen Marine

S.
NDSinBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 19:23   #41

What is cheapish?
What's your ballpark figure?
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote