Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2014, 13:10   #1

Boat: Pearson 28
Cheap boats for the Keys

Hello. I am new to the forum.

My dad and I have had a longtime dream of sailing to the Bahamas. He's getting older and now is the time for me to get on it. I am hoping to find a good boat (Cheap or free) that needs repairs. I am a professional carpenter and general contractor, also a mechanic by hobby. Father in law is an electrician. So, making major repairs is not an issue. Money is.

I am hoping to head out from the Texas Coast towards the tip of Florida and then Bahamas. I would love to get a sailboat with a very shallow draft, one that can even be beached. Something like the Seahawk 32Rk, centerboard or retractable keel.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dadsdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 13:37   #2

Re: Cheap boats for the Keys

Loads of cheap boats in Florida. Bring cash and come on down

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 13:39   #3

I actually just got back from a trip down to the keys. Drove from Austin TX. The trip reignited the dream and made me realize my dad and I are only getting older. What prices are you talking? What Size? I was hoping from something at least 30'
Old 31-12-2014, 13:42   #4

Remember, some free boats are not cheap by the time they are ready... even for the Bahamas. But there are decent boats out there pretty darn cheap in your size range. Keep looking ... good luck!
You might see if there is a cheap Allmand Sail 31 out there. They were popular in FL. Not really beachable but shallow draft and very roomy/ beamy for the length. Don't sail to weather all that good, but who cares! I've seen them for $10k

http://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/undefined/sailboats/allmand-31-florida-born-and-bound

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1980-Allmand--94134240

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 13:55   #5

Boat: csy 37

What's your boating experience? Do you feel qualified enough to look over a prospective boat and make a value decision? Not trying to 'dis' you here, just want to know what level you're at.

Being handy is a giant plus....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 19:51   #6

No offense taken. I am a novice. Have handled a few 20 footers on lakes with a captain before. My hope was to take some sailing classes while fixing up a boat. Then do some small overnight off shore sailing in the gulf to learn the boat and hone my skills before setting out to the keys and bahamas. We all have to start somewhere and I figure joining this forum and asking questions is a good start. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 31-12-2014, 20:53   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Even if you were given a new boat, one that needed nothing, it ain't cheap unfortunately, there is slip rent, insurance and stuff needs fixing.
The cheaper the boat, the more needs fixing,
You taking it back to Tx or plan to re-fit in the keys?
If keys, living while fixing etc is real expensive, I think saving until you can afford to buy seaworthy may end up costing less
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:56   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsdream View Post
Hello. I am new to the forum.

My dad and I have had a longtime dream of sailing to the Bahamas. He's getting older and now is the time for me to get on it. I am hoping to find a good boat (Cheap or free) that needs repairs. I am a professional carpenter and general contractor, also a mechanic by hobby. Father in law is an electrician. So, making major repairs is not an issue. Money is.

I am hoping to head out from the Texas Coast towards the tip of Florida and then Bahamas. I would love to get a sailboat with a very shallow draft, one that can even be beached. Something like the Seahawk 32Rk, centerboard or retractable keel.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
See if you can crew with a seasoned capt. locally. I would be concerned with a boat at your budget.

Best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:02   #9

Boat: Scout 30

Here's a link to a couple of cheap boats. Just remember, buying a boat is the cheap part.

Give to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 18:01   #10

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Check e-bay, quite a few fixer-uppers in Florida, just try to not bite-off more than you can chew. Good luck. Mainland Florida will be cheaper than Keys.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 18:32   #11

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

You sound like handling repairs will be your strong suite. That would help. Getting sailing experience will be important. Classes can be helpful but if money is tight a freind made in a marina by maybe trading on your carpentry skills would work well. But try for something in the water that you can sail while repairing. All work and no play makes Tom a dull boy real quick. Work the Craigslist angle. I could point out s a few but none are in TX or FL. I take that back there is a Newport 30 in the Keys Craigslist that was cheap but needed substantial work. Doubt you could sail while repairing. Use the website "craigslist helper" to speed search multiple cities.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 18:35   #12

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

I should have added that if you are not well versed in sailboat systems that you either have a professional survey done or at least have a knowledgeable friend come take a look as well. Major things like:

sails
standing rigging (wires and such holding up mast)
running rigging (ropes/lines that control sails)
engine
thru hulls
soft/delaminating decks

Would be key places to spend plenty of time checking...
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 19:22   #13

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

dadsdream....do you live in Austin? How are you undertaking this new journey that far inland? There should be a boat for you on the Texas Coast. Start at Corpus, they have quitea lot of sail boats at the marina downtown and work your way back up the coast to Galveston take a close look at Kemah, lotta sail boats. Don't stop there....you have the entire Gulf coast. Surely something nearer than Florida.

When you start sailing, your money for electronics can get you. Don't forget all them Oil Rigs off shore....lotta ships too,...might want to invest in AIS and Radar with those obstructions....there goes Cheap out the window....not sayin you gotta have any of that though.

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin........

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 19:25   #14

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

There are some great deals around Clear Lake Texas. Try not to get too much of a fixer upper. Not that I think you all could not handle the repaires, but it takes time to repair, time you should spend playing on the boat, in the bahamas😀.
My friend is selling their endevor 37, bigger and a bit more draft but last I heard she was asking $20,000 because they wanted to fast sale and a good home. She did need some work but not structural, and it already has a lot if cruising gear aboard. Pm if you are interested.
There is a cheap boat thread running here at CF.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gs-109768.html

Cheers, good luck and have fun
Erika
Old 01-01-2015, 20:16   #15

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

dadsdream.....if Oceangirls suggestion is within your financial range you should surely consider....it is "close by" and definitely a good live aboard boat.

Lifeis good if you Keepa Smilin......

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap