Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 10:36   #46

Boat: Newport 28
Re: Cheap/basic redundant bilge pump setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
On the new Rule Low Profile Pumps you can set the depth of water where the pump turns on by rotating the pump head. In a broad shallow bilge you might set it to turn on in 1.3 inches of water. In a narrow bilge you might want to set it to 2 inches. There are no floats in these pumps.

These are nice pumps. I think Rule saw the Whale Super Sub pump and decided to go them one better. The Whale Super Sub pump is a really good pump as well. It uses the Magic Field Effect sensor.

Whale Supersub Bilge Pump 12V 650GPH

I recently installed two of the Rule Low Profile pumps into my own boat.
I'm going to set one to use Magic Field Effect and the other to sense load on the impeller. I'll let you know which one I prefer in a couple of years. That is if I can't hear the pump turning on every 2.5 minutes. If the sound annoys me, I'll just set them both to Field Effect.
Thanks for clearing that up
I'd be interested in hearing feedback on the "annoyance" factor as well since I am considering switching to the same pump when my electric one goes out.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 05:55   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Cheap/basic redundant bilge pump setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
Three guys with a broken west marine hand pump, some duct tape, a painters rag and an old reefing line worked pretty well this past weekend

If I hadn't already experienced eerily similar (you left out the rubber flip flop and rusty screwdriver)... It would be fairly easy to picture!!!

With a Y valve to switch between the two?
You see... I was going to mention the Y valve, but didn't want to make the post overly complicated... I knew you would picture the setup immediately ! :

The monkey love dungeon has already proven very useful as a "big stuff I hardly ever use/peoples duffle bags that need to stay dry" storage space
Adding usable storage space to a boat is starting to make me jealous...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, cheap