Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 13:58   #1

Charter Sail or Rent to Buy

Hello My name is Joshua. I am looking to purchase a sailboat roughly 30-40 feet in length I Would love to purchase your boat if interested by way of Chartering with all charter sales going to owner in lieu of payments for the boat. If you have not have your boat chartered, and are simply looking for some monthly income. Please look me up by way of email. jvandress@gmail.com or call @ 347-617 5676
jvandress01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 14:19   #2

Boat: Victoire 1270
Re: Charter Sail or Rent to Buy

I am sorry, opening a 2nd or even 3rd topic isn't going to help; you can't charter someone's boat with only 20 hrs of sailing experience going for you ...

You're pretty much asking for a free boat since there will be no charter income to pay off the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandress01 View Post
Hello there !!!!. My name is Joshua. I have J24 experience, approximately 20 hours. I would love to experience a bigger sail boat and would prefer to learn as much as possible. Will do anything, I am capable of tacking and jibing, driving on a j24 anyways nothing much bigger then that. I just want to be a sponge and learn. Goal to own a 415 or 385 Hanse and live on it !!! I'm 46 years old and work in Finance. I do hope that all of you pro's will remember how hard it was to find a boat when you first started and look me up. I can be reached on my mobile at anytime . 917-599-3369. Thank again and look forward to enjoying the wind. Also I'm in NYC and prefer to sail right around that area or short runs to CT, LI sound, montauk 2-3 day trips max.
syPhilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 14:48   #3

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Consider going here to get experience, as I doubt anybody will let you take their boat out with 20 hours.
https://www.sailopo.com/Message_Board.aspx
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:39   #4

Firstly I am relatively new to both sailing and these forums. they were nice enough to take the other post down and now only this one exists. Secondly I have taken nearly 100 hours in courses and been out on the water, Hudson River, LI sound , and the ocean now for almost nearly 300 hours in total. SO I do not think anyone would be stupid enough with a boat for the first couple of trips to give someone there boat and not go on at least a couple trips with them first so they feel comfortable as an owner. But I do feel confidant in my expertise, both with electronic, especially B&W., and know the rules etc. so again any interest please let m e know I would be more than happy to go with a captain on his / her boat for several weeks to prove my sailing capabilities. I am by no means asking for a free boat. I am willing to pay well over what it is worth in time, care for the boat .
jvandress01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandress01 View Post
Firstly I am relatively new to both sailing and these forums. they were nice enough to take the other post down and now only this one exists. Secondly I have taken nearly 100 hours in courses and been out on the water, Hudson River, LI sound , and the ocean now for almost nearly 300 hours in total. SO I do not think anyone would be stupid enough with a boat for the first couple of trips to give someone there boat and not go on at least a couple trips with them first so they feel comfortable as an owner. But I do feel confidant in my expertise, both with electronic, especially B&W., and know the rules etc. so again any interest please let m e know I would be more than happy to go with a captain on his / her boat for several weeks to prove my sailing capabilities. I am by no means asking for a free boat. I am willing to pay well over what it is worth in time, care for the boat .

1. Checkout SailTime. They have two locations in New Jersey and one in New York.

2. In some places there are Yacht Clubs that have a fleet of different size boats often right up to the size and type model of your "dream boat(38' to 41'). The type of yacht club I am thinking of is set up for members to pay an upfront membership fee and probably monthly dues and their fleet is available to charter on only short notice usually for a few days at a time. If you re not qualified enough for a certain size boat they typically will provide certification classes. Other club members will want to crew for you for free and you can crew for other club members looking for crew for free. There are several yacht clubs that operate as described in San Fran Bay. Don't know if there is something similar in the NYC area.

3. Keep crewing on other peoples boats. Maybe you will click with a boat owner and work out an arrangement along the lines you are describing. Usually the kind of deal you described you are looking for does not end well.

4. Due a deal with Dream Yachts. They have a deal where you pay, I think, 35% of the retail cost of the boat. Then you get use of that model of boat or similar boat for up to 8 weeks a year, for 5 years at any of their 50+ locations around the world for almost no additional cost: only cleaning fee, consumables, etc. No insurance, no marina fee, no maintenance, repairs or upkeep costs. Checkout Dream yachts different deals. I think for Dufour mono hulls(similar production boat as Hanse or Beneteau), they have a deal where at the end of the 5 years you have an option to keep the boat or Dream Yachts will take you out of the boat at a pre-arranged price. Check it out. They offer different arrangements. Read the fine print carefully. The bad news is no USA locations.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, sail