Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2022, 19:43   #1

Charter broker for Caribbean

Please provide me with cons of using a charter broker (pros are obvious) instead of talking directly with the specific charter company. Also would appreciate if you can provide me with a few names of the charter brokers you’ve used in the past and received a good service.

Thanks,
bremin001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 11:28   #2

Re: Charter broker for Caribbean

I’ve always used visailing.com. I have no skin in their game and am just a happy customer. The only con I can think of is that brokers don’t represent all chartering companies, at least in the BVIs. But these folks represent enough for us to have several options from different companies.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 08:00   #3

Thanks @leboyd
Old 17-05-2022, 18:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

You will pay the same price, either way, most of the time. However, if you have a problem, the charter company will send you to your broker, rather than dealing directly with them.

If you want a recommendation for the BVIs, use bviyachtcharters.com. And whatever you do, don't go to Dream Yacht.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 18:52   #5

Thank you, @bstreep. Do you think it is easier to deal with the charter company directly without an intermediate?
Old 17-05-2022, 19:10   #6

I suppose the question is, what types of “problems”? We purchase trip insurance to cover trip problems. The charter companies handle all the boats issues during the charter, just as if you chartered directly.

I’d be interested in the problems you’ve had @bstreep, so we can decide if we should go direct next time.
Old 17-05-2022, 20:15   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We are doing our 18th charter this fall. Only once have we used a charter broker, and that was with Tahiti Yacht Charters, and only because the owner (a local) turned us over to Poseidon, who is their North American agent. We had zero problems with the charter company, and with the agent.

Go online, try Trip Advisor, and do some searches on Dream Yacht. When someone posts a problem, the response from DYC is "you chartered through a broker, you need to take it up with them". As I've noted, we have done 17 charters. By far, worst ever was with Dream Yacht. Do a search in here, you will find the threads.

Travel insurance doesn't help when the charter company tells you that you are getting a 4 double cabin boat, and you aren't. Insurance doesn't help you when the boat is less than a year old but falling apart. Insurance doesn't help you when the charter company promises you something, and then doesn't deliver. Insurance doesn't help when you lose a day or 2 due to maintenance issues. Get my point?

Finally: When you charter with a broker, the charter company pays the broker. It doesn't cost you any money. But, when there is a problem, is the charter company more likely to help when you chartered directly? I think so.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 06:28   #8

Hmm... We've only chartered a few times, all in the BVIs. We really enjoyed our two DYC charters (using visailing) and had no issues with either one of them. I'm sure the location you are chartering in has something to do with the service, support, etc. I'm also sure that choosing a highly reputable broker makes a difference.

Guess we've been fortunate so far using visailing. We selected boats from four different charter companies (including the two from DYC) and were happy with all four (again all in the BVIs). For us, using visailing has been well worth it. YMMV.

Tags
broker, Caribbean, charter, rib