Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2009, 08:22   #1

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
Charlie Morgan Heritage 46'

Hi Forum Members,

Would greatly appreciate your opinion of how this boat performs, her offshore abilities, her good points, her warts. I couldn't really find anything by using the search engine on this forum for this particular boat

We are seriously eyeing one that has been totally refitted. The refit interiors make me turn my nose up, but considering the mast, the sails, the engine, the plumbing, etc are all new in 2007, I can stand the funky interior. (I'm a Better Homes and Garden snob on interiors. It's the old compromise routine - sigh....).

The price is really right for an offshore live aboard cruiser.

Thanks!

First Mate
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 08:31   #2
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
How much are they asking? pictures?

Thanks
Old 20-01-2009, 05:04   #3

Softair

hither thee yon to yachtworld.com and use the search engine: Charlie Morgan Heritage 46'
Old 22-03-2009, 21:27   #4

I have owned a Heritage 46' for over 23 years, and have extensive knowledge on its' use, cruising, and refurbishing ( mine is number 9, I think only nine were ever built, and I have had contact with four of them. Which one is the one on your horizon?).

It is a great boat! ... very roomy, fast, very stable in heavy seas (up to 25 ft. or so), and extremely well built. I have trusted my life in it on many occasions, and plan to again within a few months. The fin keel helps it get off sandbars easily (very important on the Gulf Coast). The hull blistered, but I fixed that very well myself.

Aside from the internal parts of the engine and transmission, there is nothing on this boat that I (or anyone with basic skills) can not repair, including extensive damage from Hurricane Katrina. I also have the plans on it somewhere. You can write me at jh1909@aol.com for more information. ... buy it, and meet me in the Virgin Islands. john

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
Hi Forum Members,

Would greatly appreciate your opinion of how this boat performs, her offshore abilities, her good points, her warts. I couldn't really find anything by using the search engine on this forum for this particular boat

We are seriously eyeing one that has been totally refitted. The refit interiors make me turn my nose up, but considering the mast, the sails, the engine, the plumbing, etc are all new in 2007, I can stand the funky interior. (I'm a Better Homes and Garden snob on interiors. It's the old compromise routine - sigh....).

The price is really right for an offshore live aboard cruiser.

Thanks!

First Mate
jh1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 19:29   #5

It's in SE FL

but we have moved on.

I think we've looked at all 9000 boats on yachtworld.com and still not made a purchase after 18 months of looking.

Have made 3 offers and had 3 deals fall through.

Hmmm. Our ship has to come in soon.
Old 24-03-2009, 10:11   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day First Mate

Hang in there, guys! We searched forf three long years to find Insatiable II. Had a list of criteria we showed to brokers... one chap told us to stop wasting his time, 'cause that boat "didn't exist".

He was wrong, but it took a lot of perserverence and kissing a lot of frogs.

It was worth the effort, so again, hang in there!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone Qld Oz
Old 24-03-2009, 18:57   #7

it's a beautiful boat you have

Hi Jim and Ann

I see from your profile that your boat is a one off. Who was the designer?

Have seen a boat or two that were custom made and very desirable.

Thanks,

First Mate
Old 25-03-2009, 09:34   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
The one-off design and the cruising sailor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
Hi Jim and Ann

I see from your profile that your boat is a one off. Who was the designer?

Have seen a boat or two that were custom made and very desirable.

Thanks,

First Mate
G'Day again,

Insatiable II was designed by Jon Sayer, a Kiwi turned Aussie who is most famous for race boat design. He has posted some fabulous performances in the Melbourne-Osaka doublehanded race in boats of his design and construction, so it is somewhat surprising to find a cruising boat in his portfolio!

At any rate, she was designed for Gary and Sue McAulay. Gary is a master shipwright, and he and Sue built the boat for their own use. Briefly, she's built in Western Red Cedar strip plank composite, glassed inside and out, and with an interior of New Guinea Rosewood, Queensland Maple and Tasmanian Ash. 46'4" LOA, 44"8" LWL, 13'10" max beam and 7'2" draft. Empty launch weight was about 9.5 tonnes, with 4 tonnes of lead in the keel, and I suspect that our excesses have brought that up to a cruising weight of around 11.5 tonnes with half full tanks. A biggish fractional rig drives her and provides the all important fun in sailing! Our passage speeds have averaged around 180 MPD, and the odd 200 mile day comes along when we feel like working a bit harder and the conditions are right.

Gary and Sue cruised in her for 8 years, doing Japan, Alaska/Canada, down to the Canal, Caribean, Canal again and back to Oz. Did a two year refit planning to cruise again when the kitty was full, but family issues put the boat up for sale, and there we were! Six years and 30K miles later, we still love the boat, and are good friends with Gary and Sue (not so common for the buyers of a used boat!).

So, FWIW, a one off design can be a really good deal for the buyer who has a good idea of what they want. We'd been cruising full time for 17 years when we found her, and she fit our personal predjudices to a T. We'd found that most production boats, even the ones that claim to be serious cruising designs, have too many compromises hoping to broaden their market appeal. I'd personally advise extreme caution in appraising boats built by amateurs, though. If such should attract your attention, have a really serious survey done, and by a surveyor who is very familiar with whatever material the hull is made of! The multiple skills of the shipwright are not so easily acheived!

So again, good luck in your search.

Cheers,
Old 18-04-2009, 21:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1909 View Post
I have owned a Heritage 46' for over 23 years, and have extensive knowledge on its' use, cruising, and refurbishing ( mine is number 9, I think only nine were ever built, and I have had contact with four of them. Which one is the one on your horizon?).

It is a great boat! ... very roomy, fast, very stable in heavy seas (up to 25 ft. or so), and extremely well built. I have trusted my life in it on many occasions, and plan to again within a few months. The fin keel helps it get off sandbars easily (very important on the Gulf Coast). The hull blistered, but I fixed that very well myself.

Aside from the internal parts of the engine and transmission, there is nothing on this boat that I (or anyone with basic skills) can not repair, including extensive damage from Hurricane Katrina. I also have the plans on it somewhere. You can write me at jh1909@aol.com for more information. ... buy it, and meet me in the Virgin Islands. john
Hi John,
I've been looking for info on the Morgan 46' Heritage, and I have found your letter in the cruising forum.
The layout and rig design all looks good. (from what we have found so far)
My queries are on the hull and deck construction and the layup of the 'glass. Also the underwater shape. We have usually preferred a full keel for cruising, maybe you could tell us what advantages you have found in the 'Heritage design'?
My email is noel.parry@yahoo.com.au
by the way we are in Australia, heading to the States in Dec. 09 to buy a boat like the Heritage and sail the Pacific.
Thankyou
Noel and Jackie Parry
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan