Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 17:16   #1

Changing From In-Mast to Stack Pack

Can I remove the in-mast roller furler, install Harkin ball sliders on the same mast, install a lazy jack or stack pack on the boom and replace the main sail with the same size shape except made for the sliders. This way the difference in mast height should not come into play. I would still have the same sail configuration that came with the mast without worrying about any additional luff causing tenderness.

Wouldn't this be a rather cheap conversion? (compared to changing the mast, boom, and sail)
Lance835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 17:30   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Changing from in-mast to stack pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance835 View Post
Can I remove the in-mast roller furler, install Harkin ball sliders on the same mast, install a lazy jack or stack pack on the boom and replace the main sail with the same size shape except made for the sliders. This way the difference in mast height should not come into play. I would still have the same sail configuration that came with the mast without worrying about any additional luff causing tenderness.

Wouldn't this be a rather cheap conversion? (compared to changing the mast, boom, and sail)

I can't talk about what you have now, but I have had both a stack pack and a lazy jack (easy conversion) on my boat and much prefer the lazy jack. On my boat the stack pack picked up the wind. My boat has a high freeboard which also catches the wind. The boat as a whole acted as an untweakable sail.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 22:06   #3

Boat: Hanse 385

Hi there,

Can I ask why you're moving away from an in-mast roller furled?
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 23:29   #4

Boat: S2 35c

I have seen a few people run T -track up the mast for the new main track and use the roller for a storm sail . Works well the main is then converted to conventional slab reefing with lazy jacks.
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 23:36   #5

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)

i have slab reefing on the main, with the 3 holes in the leach for tying it to the boom. but the ropes are missing, as is any hardware on the boom. what do i need to add, and do i need to add lazy jacks as well? ps the boom does have an internal foot tensioner led around a pulley at the after end and lead forward to a cleat on the boom near the mast.
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:

That won't be cheap (new main) and if you are not changing the sail area other than having more work to hoist the main I am not sure what you are gaining.

What do you think the advantages will be?

Is the boat nicely balanced under sail now?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:21   #7

Thanks for the replies.

I read a lot of the discussions on in-mast versus conventional and there was a ton of information and so did not want to open that topic. I am considering buying a 44 foot boat and it has the in-mast furler and isomat spar.

Before I buy the boat I want to go in with my eyes open and know how much it will cost to convert should I not like the in-mast or it gives me trouble. The sails are in great shape and hopefully there would be no issues.

I had a smaller boat and the genoa furling line broke as I was trying to haul it in due to wind. The genoa dangerously flapped for hours and would not drop when the halyard was loosened. I am still not sure why the forestay did not break! I would hate to think what it would be like if for some reason a main on a much larger boat were to jam.

Again this is just a personal fear and may or may not be reasonable or justifiable but it is a real concern for me.
Lance835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:58   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Yes it could be converted but at some cost as you say and it would be a shame to buy new sails if the existing main is in good condition.

Just one thought, the mast was designed with inmast reefing, not some add on that has been fitted afterwards?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 19:51   #9

Boat: Beneteau 49
Re: Changing From In-Mast to Stack Pack

yes its possible but the inmast sail is super easy to handle, you just need to replace the lines every few years so they do not break. you also need to learn how to furl it correctly as to not cause too much stress on the mechanics, sail and lines. We have a inmast furler on our Beneteau 49 and its is great, easy to use and the boat sails fine with it. Sure a larger full roach main would be nice but also 5x the work to flake and reef when needed.
Old 15-05-2012, 03:16   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I read a lot of the discussions on in-mast versus conventional and there was a ton of information and so did not want to open that topic. I am considering buying a 44 foot boat and it has the in-mast furler and isomat spar.

Before I buy the boat I want to go in with my eyes open and know how much it will cost to convert should I not like the in-mast or it gives me trouble. The sails are in great shape and hopefully there would be no issues.
Based on posts on CF in other threads, I'd say that most people who own boats with in-mast furling really like the ease, convenience and safety aspects, so be sure to learn how to operate it properly, and then give yourself some time to get used to it before deciding.

Quote:
I had a smaller boat and the genoa furling line broke as I was trying to haul it in due to wind. The genoa dangerously flapped for hours and would not drop when the halyard was loosened. I am still not sure why the forestay did not break! I would hate to think what it would be like if for some reason a main on a much larger boat were to jam.

Again this is just a personal fear and may or may not be reasonable or justifiable but it is a real concern for me.
If your foresail furling line and roller furling mechanism were in good shape and the line broke, you were likely doing something wrong. If you luff up, or in strong winds bear off and blanket the genoa with the main, keeping a bit of tension on the sheet as you roll in the sail, you should always be able to furl it by hand with a just couple of wraps on a winch, not using a winch handle.

Find someone who has solid experience with furling systems to help you learn. There are only three or four simple things you need to know in order to unfurl and furl correctly. It should only take one day-sail, and you'll be good to go.
Old 15-05-2012, 03:48   #11

I have a stack pack and I really wish I had in mast furling
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 04:06   #12

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
I had a smaller boat and the genoa furling line broke as I was trying to haul it in due to wind. The genoa dangerously flapped for hours and would not drop when the halyard was loosened. I am still not sure why the forestay did not break! I would hate to think what it would be like if for some reason a main on a much larger boat were to jam..
If the worst does happen, it's possible to wrap the sail around the mast. You'll still have some extra windage sure but it will be secure enough to get you into a marina for investigation.

However, if you're not sure and are thinking about converting anyway, i'd say don't buy that particular boat.

I have two questions for you,

1. Have you actualy used in mast furling before? I was VERY suprised how easy it wasn't when I sailed one before getting my present boat. Sure, once it's in, it's in and there's no faffing about with sail bags, etc once you get to berth but overall, I found it hard work to get it in properly. After reading about them, I thought that on paper they looked like a clever system that would make getting the main in and out as simple as using the headsail but the reality was anything but that.

2. Are you indtending to so any single handed sailing? If so, DON'T get in mast. I've found that you need TWO people to furl it properly, one to pull it in, one to keep it taught so it rolls up nice an neat. This was on a Baveria 37, a modern 5 year old production boat with an average sail area and it was almost impossible to get it in on my own.
Old 15-05-2012, 05:49   #13

Boat: CS 27

I agree with other that you should find someone with in-mast who can give you a demo.

I struggled with it a bit at first. Reefing in heavy wind was frustrating, and there is not much info out there on how to make it easier.

All I can say is that would not buy a boat without it now. And while you do need to be a bit creative with your line handling, single handing is very easy.

How new is the boat?
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 06:40   #14

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

I'll agree that that a demo / test sail with that rig is essential. You may find that this particular setup works great and that you love it. If so, happy days.

I have a friend who has owned a 10 year old Bene' 40cc from new with it and he LOVES it, says he's never had a problem and would never go back to a conventional rig so I guess it is down to the condition and setup of the particular setup and your own personal preferences.

I'm waiting for Boatman to comment, I know he did a delivery with an in mast vessel last year and he HATED it and that's a guy with more experience than most on here.
Old 15-05-2012, 06:42   #15

I have sailed both in mast and boom furlers and my own boat has slab reefing. Given a choice it would be in mast for the ability to tension the foot better, then boom furling for the ability to drop the main if needed. but I have yet to meet anyone who would be so foolish to scrap the in mast system....unless they where a RACER.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote