Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 10:29   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25
Challenger 40 ?

Hi All, Been lurking on the forum for a long time and have absorbed a tremendous amount of information. I'm traveling to view a Challenger 40 for sale next week and wanted to see if anyone had info on this boat. I've completely exhausted CF as well as google and I've only been able to turn up minimal data about the 40. There's Great info on the Anacapas and other challenger boats (35,32, etc) but info on the 40 seems difficult to produce. It's to be excpected....from what i understand there were only 50 of them made. I feel like I've done my homework individually, and I now need to branch out and see if I can connect with others to expand my knowledge.

My intent is to purchase a solid Hull that is structurally sound and has the foundatiuon to be a good bluewater boat with the appropriate upgrades. Would serve as a coastal cruiser (PNW) in the meantime (first couple years). I have no issue upgrading the boat as time and money allows, but I want to make sure I'm starting with something worth upgrading. My understanding is that these boats were overbuilt and very solid.....thick fiberglass, heavy displacement, gtoo tankage, and a modified full keel. And the headroom factor is a huge plus as I am 6'4"

Seems to me that this is an under-represented design due to it's age and low production numbers.

What say you?
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 11:50   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25
Hmmmm.... Not much response on this one.... What about the specifics of challenger yacht's construction in general?

Hand laid fiberglass?
Hull to deck joints?
Keel glasses in?
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 18:56   #3

Boat: 1973 Challenger 40
Re: Challenger 40 ?

SW,

maybe this comes too late but as an owner of the afore mentioned vessel, i can tell you she's built like a howitzer. all hand laid, solid hull and decks (no cores), and very stout OEM rigging. the hull to deck joint typically leaks, the keel is bolted on the fin models and i can't speak to the cut-away fore foot models. she's very sea-kindly, loves 20-30 kts, and has a handsome interior to boot. let me know if you've any more questions. -r
Sailor Robius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 19:27   #4
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Robius
SW,

maybe this comes too late but as an owner of the afore mentioned vessel, i can tell you she's built like a howitzer. all hand laid, solid hull and decks (no cores), and very stout OEM rigging. the hull to deck joint typically leaks, the keel is bolted on the fin models and i can't speak to the cut-away fore foot models. she's very sea-kindly, loves 20-30 kts, and has a handsome interior to boot. let me know if you've any more questions. -r
I read an owner that sold because he felt it rolled excessively at anchor. Has this been your experience?

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 19:56   #5

Boat: 1973 Challenger 40
Re: Challenger 40 ?

not really. i've seen other boats roll more, but being a heavy displacement hull with a fin keel, i can see how that might be said. hasn't seemed excessive though.
Sailor Robius is offline   Reply With Quote