Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57
Nice job by the way.
Thanks it was a somewhat frustrating process, but in the end I am very pleased with the results and being that it was all DIY
. I know it was done right because I did it.
I want to share the method I used for the side I had to remove 3" of core from:
The six10 epoxy is an awesome product(especially for noobs like me), I can't believe they didn't think of it sooner...however, the consistency seemed a little thick to fully fill the 3" gap by just squirting it into the chain plate slot, so I borrowing a trick from the notorious "drill-n-fill" technique.
Once It was hollowed out, I drilled holes along the outer perimeter of the area of deck that I hollowed out.(I used the allen key that was inserted into the drill to measure with)
After the holes were drilled, I vacuumed out the dust rinsed with alcohol and let it sit in the hot sun for 24 hours.
At that point I greased up the chain plate and bolted it into place. After that, I loaded up a caulk gun with the six10 epoxy, then, working from the lowest point, I injected it into all the holes, until epoxy oozed out of the slot the the chain plate sits in. Once I got to the top I cleaned everything up and let it sit for 24 hours.
The next day I pulled the chain plate out, cleaned the grease off, bolted it back in place, cleaned with alcohol, then I sealed it with 3m 4000UV.
I attached a pic of what it looks like now. I plan on painting over the holes as soon as it stops raining.
BTW I used the polishing wheel
to polish those little plates that screw on and hold the sealant
in. I also passivated them as well...just because I can lol.
Looks like I've already found another use for the polishing wheel
I didn't want to buy. Win-win!
I wish the rest of the old boat would shine like that!