Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2010, 08:28   #46
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Im not too keen on the P35 interior. The P365 is nicer. That's not to say the P35 isn't a great sailer with good stats. It ranks high up there.

However, I may have to compromise when push comes to shove.

ps - need to scan southerlies again to remember what they look like.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 08:37   #47

Boat: a sailing boat
Sorry, to me the centerboard and the swing keel seemed the same thing.

The vertical thing I call the daggerboard (like in a Catana).

There are not many daggerboard boats around except maybe the newer Hoeks.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 11:08   #48

Boat: 1968 Pearson Wanderer 30 - "Grizabella"
Nobody has yet mentioned the Pearson Wanderer. I say this because I just bought one in August and I like it a lot.

It has a "full" keel, with 3,800 lbs. of lead encapsulated on the bottom. Displacement is 9,800 pounds. With the board up, it draws 3'6"; with the board down, it draws 6'9". I typically only put the board down when trying to point upwind as far as possible.

I have an old photocopy of an old magazine article, from I think the early 1980's, given to me by the previous owner of the boat, discussing stability and including a chart showing relative stability of a whole bunch of boats. The Wanderer comes out very favorably on their chart. I don't recall the specifics of how they calculated it, or even what magazine the article was in - I'll have to dig it out when I get home.

Anyhow, although I'm not a terribly experienced sailor, every experienced sailor I know who has seen my boat or who is familiar with Pearson Wanderers in general has had nothing but positive things to say about them (and mine). It's an easy sailing boat and as far as I'm concerned, pretty much perfect for cruising around the Chesapeake Bay and environs. Easy to single-hand, shallow enough to get into all kinds of neat little gunkholes, yet heavy and stable enough to cross the Bay and go out in a good blow.
ILikeRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 11:12   #49

Boat: 1968 Pearson Wanderer 30 - "Grizabella"
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Sorry, to me the centerboard and the swing keel seemed the same thing.

The vertical thing I call the daggerboard (like in a Catana).

There are not many daggerboard boats around except maybe the newer Hoeks.
In my experience, a centerboard is not the same as a swing keel, neither of which are the same as a daggerboard.

A daggerboard is typically in smaller boats and is dropped in from above through an open slot through the hull.

Someone upthread mentioned a story about water making its way up through the centerboard mechanism. In my Pearson Wanderer, this is not possible, because there is no opening through the hull for the centerboard. Instead, the bottom of the hull has what I'll call a "pocket" molded into it - basically as if you folded a piece of cloth - and the centerboard retracts up into the pocket. The only "hole" for water to get through is the tube that the pendant come up through, which is about a 1/2" diameter.
ILikeRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 09:41   #50

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
I've sailed a T34c in New England waters for the past eight years. The shallow draft has allowed me to get into places on the south side of Cape Cod I wouldn't try with a keel. Agree with the comments that a great value of the centerboard is balancing the helm. There is an impact going to windward, but I try to minimize time hard on the wind anyway. An under appreciated value to the centerboard is as a lobster pot deflector. Lowering the board to a 45 degree angle will reduce the prospects of fouling pot lines. It relieves a major headache if you're considering cruising grounds like Maine.

The T34 centerboard is very light and cranks both ways. Unfortunately, it pivots on a very poorly engineered pin that, over time wears and needs repair. Almost all T34's have had the deed done at least once. However, when you look at a specific boat, have someone dive on her to see if the board is drooping when cranked up. If the boat is on the hard, try to get a look at her in the Travelift. The repair is very doable, but a good point of price negotiation. For more info, check out the T34 site -- Welcome to the Tartan 34 Classic Association and look for the centerboard articles under references.
tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 19:55   #51

Boat: Morris Justine 36'
centerboard when inverted

What happens when a boat that has a centerboard is inverted? Does the centerboard come crashing through like a guillotine? Otherwise, what stops it? This question came up when reading Vigor's book on seaworthy boats.
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 20:34   #52

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Depends on the design. Mine has a down-haul as well as an up-haul control. If you lock the down-haul it stays "up" if the boat is inverted.

Being realistic -- if the boat is ever inverted, the centerboard would not by my greatest concern.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 22:08   #53

Boat: Traditional 30
ITs nice to kick the board a little aft when reaching too. It moves the CLR back and also stops the tripping effect on the top of waves.

Most good designs have a lock to prevent the board coming all the way back into the cabin, should the boat be rolled.

Obviously you will be able to get into many anchorages that fixed keels wont get into. As well, you will most likely be able to beach the boat for cleaning etc.

They are a bugger if they are locked in there though.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 07:10   #54

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
i own a liftkeel boat at the moment and have sailed (couple years) on two different swingkeel boats (bennie & ovni) in all kinds of weather. also raced different centerboards boat for many years ago.

so i can say i have experiance with them and will never ever own a fixed keel boat full stop. (i have sailed on all kind of fixed keel boats over past 30 years).

they are so much more flexible but you will need to adapt your saling behaviour and might want to reef a bit earlier but that's all in brief.

then when you beach the boat and have a BBQ on the beach say no more. or drive her on a sandbank to do some underwater maintains like scrubbing etc.

just my pennys
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 08:41   #55

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
The idea is very attractive potentially giving the best of several worlds. But there is also more complexity and even if not that sophisticated, it can be a source for problems. Just returned from a wild ride from Nantucket to Bermuda on a tri with a board in which one of the safety lashings inside the box snapped (probably due to hitting something or possibly the shear forces of reaching 23 knts?). In any case one of the lines jambed between the board and the trunk and it was stuck half way. No emergency but another in a list of things to deal with. Also had a few instances where the force of the water pushed the lid up enough to spray gallons from under the table onto the starboard bunk. Again, probably due to the speed and pressures created. Not an emergency but another on the to do list. Gives you something to do when you get there I guess but it seems that there's always plenty anyway and I'd rather spend the time and money sightseing or exploring. I wouldn't choose to own one for cruising.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 17:53   #56

I have a Morgan 34. It has a bronze centre board. It is the second Morgan 34 that I have owned; I think that says something for how much I like the boat, and the centre board design. I have cruised the eastern seaboard, Bahamas, Chesapeake, Lake Ontario.

Pros: Very fast off the wind; less wetted surface. More options for balancing the rig under sail; moveable centre of lateral resistance. More cruising routes available. More anchorage space available. When my boat does go aground I get off from the stern ladder, walk to the bow, and push off with my shoulder.

Cons: Worry factor with maintenance of the board. So far I have had no problems. It pays to know how the board functions, and what must be done when something goes wrong.

I highly recommend the Morgan 34.
maarty10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard