Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2021, 07:19   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Center vs Aft Cockpit Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Interesting how opinions differ. I find no advantages at all from my CC during long-distance voyaging. All of the advantages on my boat are when I’m on anchor or sailing short hops between anchorages.
Exactly and then you are almost 10 feet longer than the boats that the OP is considering

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 07:38   #47

Boat: last boat: 2008 Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Andreas W

My last boat was a Dix43 CC in steel. I loved the spacious aft cabin, which doubled as an office when in port or at anchorage. At sea I sleep in the pilot berth anyway. Very dry and safe boat. The only disadvantage was the lack of storage lockers in the cockpit, but that was partly compensated by a large lazaret space aft.
Old 24-01-2021, 09:23   #48

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Exactly and then you are almost 10 feet longer than the boats that the OP is considering
Which is why a lot of people on this thread are recommending not to go for a CC on a 35ft boat
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 09:36   #49

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

When I was quite a young kid, the first boat I looked at buying was a 26' double ender with a center cockpit and a swing keel. There wasn't room for anything in that boat!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 13:59   #50

Boat: Najad 373
Center vs Aft Cockpit Sailboats

Really depends on the needs and use.
I have a 37’ CC that Najad developed with Judel Vrolijk designer. At the time (2000) it was considered to be a miracle to fit a decent CC interior in such a small boat.
It fits many of my asks, though not all. Smaller cockpit (we sail passages just 2 on board) feels safer as you are well sit and can grab things easily and hold on to it, you cannot slip and hurt yourself. Excellent dodger means it can be pouring rain in hard weather you’ll be dry from wherever water comes to you, unless DDW where horizontal rain would catch you. The boom height is just above head so safe when gybing but accessible for halyard etc. Importantly the mainsail rail lays aft of the cockpit thus nothing to cross and no line that could hit, and the main sheet controls the end of the boom (I would not want anything else, a friend had a wild gybe break the boom as the sheet was attached at 2/3 of it).
Interior is spacious enough for boat size, can accommodate 4 (also in the cockpit) very comfortably but 6 gets tight.
Aft cabin is not very wide but berth is 1.5m wide on its full length, allowing for good rest but not at sea, as only one side is by the wall).
Drawback is the opposite: max 4 for comfort, etc. Walkthrough means actually bending the head, something natural after a few knocks and bad words screaming.
Engine access is excellent and generally storage space all around up to the ceiling in the cabins.
Being center of the boat makes the motion quite smooth with crossing waves or following seas. When heeled I felt less motion than on a beamier Jeanneau SO36i AC, where you are higher above the sea when heeled, and could get hurt if slipping to the lower side. Exit from CC is no different I feel. Visibility is better than AC because the dodger is partly framed glass, so impeccable through-view, but that is maybe typical from Swedish boats.
In short, I think it has balance in the various spaces and areas (main vs aft cabin vs cockpit), which may be a plus or a drawback depending on use and size of crew. Focus is different if comfort is not important at all, which is not my case.
Would not want a 42+, I would feel lost inside, like in a central station hall. But that’s just me.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 14:48   #51

Boat: Tartan 4100

As we have all heard before, all boats are a compromise; it's up to you to decide what aspect you are willing to sacrifice. No boat is perfect, though some get close.
CC boats are great liveaboards due to their accommodations at anchor and as many have mentioned here, the sailing can be similar though many CC boats are of an older design and are typically heavier and have a more conservative design. If you want a spritely sail, go for an aft cockpit of recent design. If you want to live aboard, perhaps a center cockpit with an island king berth aft, full ensuite head, walk in engine room, full island queen berth forward with dedicated head......sounds pretty good! BUT there are some compromises and if your home port involves fitting into a slip at a marina, the helmsperson will have a challenge handling dock lines, a bow thruster will aid a bit but will still be a challenge. I love the exhilaration of heeling over sailing like I mean it, and I don't think you can get that same rush in a CC boat.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cockpit, sail, sailboat