Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2021, 11:07   #16

Boat: Taswell 43
Re: Center vs Aft Cockpit Sailboats

Our aft cp was a 33' Tayana 37 look-alike..we did not like the bed in the bow, nor the layout below deck. The space under the cockpit was almost unuseable (took a contortionist to get into it), and the cockpit was small and very wet!. Our Taswell 43 is a CC, and a world of difference! We do not notice any rolling motion except in a very heavy seaway, the hard on the wind pounding is nearly motionless in the cockpit, but with an almost flat shearline we do take some green water over the bow that occasionally finds its way back to and splashes around the dodger and into the raised CC. But the layout below deck is far better (we think), and the aft walk-around bed is way better....especially since we mostly sail during daylight and are at anchor at night. It is a different "look" coming into a tight marina berth, but then every boat has its quirks......EZ to adjust to. We, personally, far prefer the CC, FWIW.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 11:26   #17

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Mine is a CC and I agree that it is very wet on a passage and that’s one reason for a full cockpit enclosure. Visibility is great and the motion is more friendly. We lost our enclosure once and the following 4 days on the wind at sea were hell. The cockpit enclosure also provides required real estate for two large solar panels.

I also agree that the higher boom makes it hard to reach halyards which can be a PITA but a step on the mast fixes it and the high boom makes the cockpit totally safe for crew even in an uncontrolled gybe. It’s a great trade.

I guess on 33ft a larger aft cabin and a spacious cockpit could make for a cramped saloon but on our 44ft, we often have 10 and even 12 people around the table for dinner. Nothing wrong with our space down below.

Viz under our 135% Genoa can be poor at higher levels of heel but I’ve never noticed it as a bigger problem that our earlier aft-cockpit boats. And we try to mostly sail off the wind when viz under the sail improves, especially when sailing under a gennaker. This element is not an issue for us.

But here’s my important take on it. Our passagemaking is a means to an end and if we have to endure the odd moments of hardship while effectively “delivering” the boat over a week or two to a foreign destination, that’s a great trade-off for the luxury of a large airy en-suite cabin for the 6-month stay in paradise.

I would only move away from my CC if I were moving away from sailing boats altogether.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 11:30   #18

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Its all a compromise. Our boat is centre cockpit. I liked the separate aft cabin for its privacy when we were sailing as a family. Now i sail with non family crew i like the skippers aft stateroom (my wife says i sleep in a cupboard- she was never really into it) with its own heads for the privacy, again. Also i have heard rumours that i snore so my crew appreciate the solid wooden door to my cabin. As for sailing, the walk through is a stoop through so the cockpit isnt that high. Rolling isnt an issue. Yes sometimes we notice being closer to the spray - but we have a sprayhood & bimini so it isnt really an issue. Yes the saloon is a bit smaller but its big enough.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 11:42   #19
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHK1 View Post
hi - i am considering a 35 ft center cockpit sailboat -i have always had aft cockpits. Given in a CC, you are forward and higher, is there any problem seeing around a gennie ? in my aft cockpit, i can always look under it.

Also, there must be more side to side, fore and aft movement in the CC cockpit because it is higher - is this noticeable compared to aft boat ? also, given the boom and sail are relatively higher, does this noticeably increase heeling compared to an aft cockpit boat.

Tx for any help.
I search my "Boat Notes" folder and came up with these:

#13. A 35 foot LOA is about the minimum to make a center cockpit configuration successful. (unknown author)

#23. 43 feet is pushing the lower limit for a center cockpit boat. --Bob Perry

#101. Most people would agree that the most attractive interior layouts require a center cockpit but the best deck arrangement for sailing is an aft cockpit. Bob Perry slng 10/05p46

I think #101 explains why there are center cockpit boats; its the aesthetics and not the sailing they are interested in.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 11:49   #20

Boat: 1986 Catalina 34'

I would not consider a center cockpit in anything less than a 40’ boat. To far forward in a 35. Probably will get wet often. Just my opinion.

Al
S/V St. Thomas
ahumbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 12:12   #21

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

My opinion only but your questions seems like asking what the difference between a ketch and a single mast rig is so the answer is it depends on the boat. On a 35 footer I would not expect a below deck walk through. If there is, chances are that either the cockpit sole is way to high or the boat is excessively beamy (to fit a walk through beside the cockpit). Generally avoid anything with a cockpit sole more than about a foot above the waterline if you want good performance in a seaway. Ideally at this size you will have a short wide and deep cockpit with an engine bay beneath. Aft sleeping cabin, probably without full headroom but separate from the rest of the accommodation. Some heavyweight steel boats can break there general guides by virtue of having very deep draft. Not seen a good CC boat with a walk through at under about 45ft but seen plenty of superb CC sea boat around 35ft. I like CC, the separate aft cabin, The cockpit is placed where motion is at a minimum, they are generally drier especially when running. The down side is having to access the sleeping cabin through the cockpit (especially if the head is forward!) and , at 35ft, you cant stow a dingy under the boom.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 12:17   #22

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The S2 8.0C & 9.2C both had walkthru cabins.

Cockpit soles were pretty high.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/s2-92-c

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/s2-80-c
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 12:49   #23

I have an aft cockpit boat - in any boat less than 48' (15m) I reckon that's the most convenient place to have a cockpit.
On smaller boats the centre cockpit results in a smaller main cabin, greater apparent movement at sea and, usually a shallower, less roomy cockpit, or so I've found on CC boats in which I've sailed. There often appears to be a liability in being able to rig sufficient canvas to move the boat in anything like light airs.
Attempts to remedy this by producing a ketch rig, result in little improvement in sail area with an alarming increase in handling problems.
However many single-handers, on ocean passages, swear by the rig as allowing one to sail under reduced canvas, using jib and mizzen alone.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 14:07   #24

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

Mine is a Morgan 381 and I had the Genoa cut 16” higher to see under it. Everyone likes the extra room. Cockpit is smaller and hard to get by the wheel but feel very safe. Full enclosure keeps us dry and warm in any weather. I added a back platform to give us a 4x8 cushioned platform to fish and snooze on.
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 15:20   #25

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I have a Jeanneau 44i, twin helms and a “suger scoop” transom, I have had it for 3 years, yes this is bigger than you were looking at getting into, I had a 28ft Beneteau before this. I looked at CC configurations but ultimately went with a vessel that will provide the most room during the waking hours. Is a boarding sea over the stern a consideration? yes. But that situation at a sustained period would be a very rare if ever event.I also enjoy the room to have several people out, I would call over 8 people a crowd but definitely do able without compromising safety or tactics.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 16:56   #26

Boat: LOA 71'
Send a message via Skype™ to C Paton-Gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
I have a Jeanneau 44i, twin helms and a “suger scoop” transom, I have had it for 3 years, yes this is bigger than you were looking at getting into, I had a 28ft Beneteau before this. I looked at CC configurations but ultimately went with a vessel that will provide the most room during the waking hours. Is a boarding sea over the stern a consideration? yes. But that situation at a sustained period would be a very rare if ever event.I also enjoy the room to have several people out, I would call over 8 people a crowd but definitely do able without compromising safety or tactics.

That’s a fun boat for day sailing and Island hopping in Greece and the Canadian West Voast but I would never sail one offshore. I’ve been in squalls and storms in 25 and 30 ft seas. Absolutely would never want to be that exposed. CC’s .... like the 44 Cc Beney has similar sailing parameters and a lot safer IMHO. Fair winds.
C Paton-Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 18:22   #27

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

For sure the boom height and length of the companionway ladder are more on our cc ketch.
The boom is quite high, to get to the headboard I usually just stand on the dorade box or on a mast winch or two.
The companionway ladder is high, but that’s not an issue. It is definitely a ladder though.
We do have 7’ headroom though.
At 14 meters (46 1/2) the cockpit is small as befits a sea boat. The cockpit sole is high enough for very goo engine access.
The ketch rig really makes it all work.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 19:02   #28

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

All my former boats were with aft cockpit, including the present Farr 40 (used for racing only). For longer offshore cruising I definitely looked almost globally for a CC. Will not get into the argument with other opinions, but as far as I could see over the years many offshore cruisers always had or appreciated CC over aft cockpit.

From my own experience, my Contest 43 CC with hard dodger and fully enclosed bimini has been the most convenient, safest and dry cockpit with excellent control - genoa, cutter and main sails are all furling. The setup in the cabin is ideal with excellent owner's aft cabin with queen bed, 6.6" headroom and much more. The saloon, galley and V-berth are generally as specious as similar LOA boats.

Having said that and IMHO any CC under 40' will require too many compromises with a too small cockpit, aft cabin etc.

And if the use is mostly for day, weekend and short coastal sailing, I think most modern wide aft cockpit could be better especially at under 40' LOA
Old 17-01-2021, 23:01   #29

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

In less than 40' LOA, a center cockpit is really questionable. In over 45', it is quite desireable for many folks. In our 46', I like:
Walkthru. Can't imagine the up and over and down to get from aft cabin to forward cabin, but in a smaller vessel it's almost the only way to have an aft cabin. In our walkthru I have tons of storage and a real 6' workbench, plus a pilot berth, most comfortable on the boat as it's amidships and low. It's an easy stroll from the aft cabin to the main cabin and if wife and I ever needed privacy there are doors on both ends of the walkthru.

Engine Room. Yes this is my favorite place on the boat. Well I am an engineer so go figure. I like easy access to all the machinery - just open the door and climb in. Again, takes a bigger boat to have it plus the walkthru.

Better view forward. CC is couple feet higher than an aft cockpit, and more forward, so you can see downward in front of the bow. This was useful in navigating through coral reefs and approaching docks.

What I don't like: Our CC is close enough to mainmast and we have a full windshield in front of that, with standing headroom under the dodger and full cockpit cover. There is not enough room to have a hydraulic boom support.

Since cockpit is under main boom, and we have full and wide cockpit cover, it is hard to access full length of the boom. A good lazy jack or Dutchman system solves much of the problem, but it can be harder to put on a removeable sail cover or tie in reef points.

Seeing around the genoa is not much of a problem - most roller furling gennies have very high cut clew, but it's true I think in aft cockpit you can definitely see under it easier.
Old 18-01-2021, 08:28   #30

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Paton-Gay View Post
That’s a fun boat for day sailing and Island hopping in Greece and the Canadian West Voast but I would never sail one offshore. I’ve been in squalls and storms in 25 and 30 ft seas. Absolutely would never want to be that exposed. CC’s .... like the 44 Cc Beney has similar sailing parameters and a lot safer IMHO. Fair winds.
100% on my vessels design intentions, but please don’t compare my vessel to essentially the same builder of a different fiberglass hull, Most of us day sail, I’ve been in systems that have hung over my location while making passage, my vessel is sound. If you think it’s the center cockpit saving you from the deep blue to sleep at night “good on ya”.

It’s not the type of vessel it the sailor...and most sailors despite there on line egos stay close to shore.

My self included.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cockpit, sail, sailboat