Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 11:11   #1

Center Cockpits - Still Popular ?

It seems that there is still a demand for clean CC boats. Why is this? Is it because so few have been built recently? Because only the more expensive builders are building them? If there is a demand for good used ones... why?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:30   #2

Boat: Ocean Alexander
Re: Center Cockpits, Still popular.?

I can't speak for others but in my case as my wife and I continue to look for a boat to retire on, a cc affords different options in cabin layout. My wife likes the centerline berth that is more easily accommodated and I covet the larger engine room that is often available. The downside of course is that the cockpit is usually a bunch smaller.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I am not sure what the question is. There is a market segment that prefers CC's over aft cockpits. Most major builders offer both. In smaller boats they are relatively rare, but in large part because the smaller the boat the more questionable the tradeoffs.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:42   #4

Well yes there are builders that still produce them but in the 38-44 size range which was very popular some years ago how many Beneteau/Jeaneau/Bavaria/Hanse sailboats feature a CC?? Few if any is my guess. Seems to me that builders are aiming at the Charter market, huge aft cockpit models that are modified with owners versions.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:05   #5

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Center Cockpits, Still popular.?

I recently looked at a Brewer 44, which is a center cockpit built in the late 80's by Ft. Myers Yacht and Shipbuilding. What an excellent design for a sailboat. To me all center cockpits should offer an aft companionway. It makes the aft stateroom completely sealed off and extremely easy to get into the cockpit.

As far as performance, the boat weighs around 24,000lbs, and most of them are equipped with a centerboard; 5 ft. draft up, 9 ft. draft down. Skeg hung rudder, powerful rigging; the whole boat is very well made.

Center cockpits usually don't work well until you get above ~42 ft. Sometimes I find myself loving them, and other times I feel as if I would always have to have an aft cockpit.

Regarding new models, Beneteau and Jeanneau are most styled towards the Open 60 style of boats, with hard chines, open transoms and fast hulls. I don't think they are really aiming towards center cockpits anymore. Especially Beneteau with their new Sense model. Completely different direction. Island Packet, Hylas, and the new Saturn brand of boats, which is replacing the old Tayana 47 design from Perry, still are going strong with center cockpit designs. They are more suitable for offshore but are also all above 45 ft.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 14:50   #6

Boat: Hunter 25 Mk 1

My favorite is the Hallberg-Rassey 37-- very seaworthy, sturdy, sensibly laid-out, and good-looking to boot.

Hallberg-Rassy - Yachts - Center Cockpit Boats

I have never sailed one of these but had a comprehensive tour of one at Annapolis 2006 and absolutely loved it. They're not cheap on the used market; but I would prefer one of these over an O'Day, a Gulfstar or a Coronado 35 (which is more of a 'raised-cockpit' than 'center-cockpit' design-- typical Bill Tripp-- excellent layout but too much freeboard).
dianaofburlingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 15:23   #7

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Hallberg-Rassy's that have the OEM hardtop dodger are so beautiful. I was never a fan of the topless windshield style dodger.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 15:26   #8

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
I recently looked at a Brewer 44, which is a center cockpit built in the late 80's by Ft. Myers Yacht and Shipbuilding. What an excellent design for a sailboat. To me all center cockpits should offer an aft companionway. It makes the aft stateroom completely sealed off and extremely easy to get into the cockpit.
I recently met my first Brewer 42, with the aft companionway, and I too was really impressed. Bit jealous to be honest..
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 15:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska JD View Post
I can't speak for others but in my case as my wife and I continue to look for a boat to retire on, a cc affords different options in cabin layout. My wife likes the centerline berth that is more easily accommodated and I covet the larger engine room that is often available. The downside of course is that the cockpit is usually a bunch smaller.

That is exactly my experience as well. Being married for a little over thirty years so far though one thing I'm sure of. If Mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy, so I guess I'll learn to like sitting up high and in a small cockpit
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 16:34   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well yes there are builders that still produce them but in the 38-44 size range which was very popular some years ago how many Beneteau/Jeaneau/Bavaria/Hanse sailboats feature a CC?? Few if any is my guess. Seems to me that builders are aiming at the Charter market, huge aft cockpit models that are modified with owners versions.
Center cockpit doesn't work well with a hull form where max beam is carried all the way to the transom.

As others have said, center cockpit has a lot of disadvantages below a certain size, but these start to disappear at about 48'.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 17:21   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Our CC is a 1984 Camper & Nicholson 58 Ketch. The CC becomes very practical as the lenghth increases. If you had an aft C the distance to the bow is too long and the interior begins to resemble a tunnel. In the Ketch version, its difficult to see around the mizzen. The companionway drops into the widest part of the boat at the main salon. The other variation on this is split cockpit with a CC for the owner/guests and a small helm cockpit aft. My cousin & I each have different versions of this boat. Ours is ROXY, white ketch. Kurt's is African Queen sloop & split C. A couple scans also from the 30 year old glossy sales photos. The ride in the CC is pretty kind in rough seas and high center gets less splash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.7.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	73174   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.8.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	73175  

Name:	AF 1.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	73176   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF 2.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	73177  

Name:	AF 5.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	73178   Click image for larger version

Name:	MUSKEGON CHANNEL 3 CROPPED.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	73179  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 21:30   #12

Re: Center Cockpits - Still Popular ?

I owned, sailed, cruised a CC Peterson 44 for 8 years and found the aft companion way to be rarely used. I found that it was the normal habit to go forward through the duck thru(not standing headroom) to get coffee or what ever, before I went to the cockpit. Even sleeping at night or off watch, I rarely opened the aft sliding hatch because if a squall came thru, I could close the hatch over the bunk, but I had to get out of bed to close the sliding hatch. I would not want to be without the slider, just as an escape route, but it rarely got used. I could leave the forward hatch open in any weather because of the dodger. Having a duck thru rather than a full standing walk thru made the freeboard lower and the sheer line lower for a nicer looking boat. There was a door that closed off the aft cabin for plenty of privacy. That is just my personal experience. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 21:35   #13

The Peterson 44 was in my eyes one of the prettiest CC boats out there, low freeboard and it could sail..
Old 02-01-2014, 23:33   #14

Boat: Liberty 458
We looked for 18 months for the right boat for us to cruise the planet. Center cockpit was one of our must haves. Better interior layouts, seaworthy cockpits and clear deck space.

We bought a Liberty 458 in 2013. We liveaboard and the cc layout of the Liberty is superb inside and out for a couple to live, work and cruise in for extended periods.

The charter market seems to dominate the market. The aft cockpit boats on offer with massive cockpits and cramped coffin like cabins seem to have good brochure appeal but are not suited to liveaboard and extended cruising. Great for partying if that's your thing.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:11   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Looked for our home afloat for years. Would not want a CC even when giving away free ones! We wanted low freeboard, aft cockpit, with perfect interior lay-out for full time liveaboard and go anywhere. The are no living quarters below our cockpit, just engine room with a watertight bulkhead.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit