Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 08:42   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 25
CD 25 first boat!

When we started looking at boats, used pocket and mini cruisers, I told my boy I wasn't looking for a boat, I was looking for a person. After looking at a few boats up here on Champlain, and talking to many other owners via E mail and on the phone, I think I found that person. They have owned a CD25 in 3 mile Harbor E. Hampton for 20 years. They Love the boat, or maybe they are in love with their boat. They are too old to continue sailing her.

Turns out they were not looking to sell the boat either. They were looking for a person who would love their boat, and have a new adventure, and they want me to have their boat.

Jane is dockside waiting for me to come see her next weekend. If everything looks right, as I suspect it does, she will be ours and we will bring her up the Hudson to be on Champlain and I will teach my family how to sail...then maybe we end up back in the salt, and the adventure continues....
Fingers crossed, and we are all excited.
Dpackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:59   #2

Re: CD 25 first boat!

Good luck. These boats are a ton of fun with children. They can use the skills they learn on the Optimists on-to-one on the Cape Dory.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:52   #3

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Congratulations! See you in 3-5 years when you decide you need a bigger boat!
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 16:32   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Congratulations! Great little boat and your son will love it and all the fun times you will have together!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:01   #5

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Congrats, CD25 is a great boat!
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:51   #6

The person, not the boat. Uh, uh.

It's the boat you're taking home, not the person. I would suggest to anyone looking for a boat to purchase to disregard what the owner has to say, unless they accidentally tell you something about the boat they should have kept to themselves.

People are difficult to evaluate. Boats, less so. Much less. Do a good inspection yourself and hire a good surveyor. You'll likely need a survey to obtain insurance anyway.

Sorry if I didn't get into the spirit of your post, but...
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:45   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
The person, not the boat. Uh, uh.

It's the boat you're taking home, not the person. I would suggest to anyone looking for a boat to purchase to disregard what the owner has to say, unless they accidentally tell you something about the boat they should have kept to themselves.

People are difficult to evaluate. Boats, less so. Much less. Do a good inspection yourself and hire a good surveyor. You'll likely need a survey to obtain insurance anyway.

Sorry if I didn't get into the spirit of your post, but...
I disagree.

We'll see next week when I go see her for the first time and pay the man.

The man is a highly successful in life, very intelligent. Academy Award winner, Peabody, Golden Globe, documentary film maker. Lives in an exclusive area, clearly has plenty of resources. He is knowledgeable about his boat, and sailing. The yard has done all the work, and he has had them do all the work they have suggested over the years.

He's going to split the cost of a new headsail with me, because although the current R/F is serviceable, he doesn't feel right selling a boat that isn't "ready to go". He has backups for everything. The boat is launched and sailing, not rotting in a yard.

I've talked to probably 20 owners over the last month. This is the guy. This is the boat. We're stoked! Cautiously.

As for a bigger boat, likely correct. I know the deal, started sailing a 16 foot AMF Bandit when I was 7. Freedom 21 by 10 years old, we sailed all of LI sound. 4 years later, Sabre 34. Sailed from NYC to East Penobscot. Bristol 35.5, then Able 42. A little Blue Water moving a big Hinckley. Raced a Tartan 41, and Bene 34. I sailed a bunch of big boats, and hung out with very experienced sailors as we cruised and raced. I know where this all goes, and it's calling to me after 20 years in the Green Mtns exploring every mtn, river, trail. This boat will be back in the briny sea before all is said and done, and we may sail away forever on a P 424 or the like....if the family even enjoys sailing at all. I might be a little ahead of myself, the boat might be rotted, and the search continues...but the search is fun! She'll be a great boat for Champlain, and could take us pretty far before the NEED for more boat.
Dpackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 14:58   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Actually I agree, the previous owner makes or breaks a boat. If the owner doesn’t want to show you every nook and cranny, and proudly tell of all the fun adventures he or she has had, something’s wrong; there will likely be big repair/update expenditures in the future.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat