Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2021, 23:31   #1

Boat: Caviller 26
Cavalier 26. New owner. First yacht.

Hello all,

I am the proud new owner of this little yacht. (Soulmate).
I bought her to learn on and to become proficient and enjoy sailing around our beautiful gulf that we have here in Auckland New Zealand. Home of the America’s Cup ����
I am looking forward to getting out on her and learning the joys of sailing but I have been thinking as your brain does with excitement about a new toy well not a toy but as you know so excited.
Anyhow I was thinking what would the optimum wind be for that little yacht. It would have to be a wind range when this little girl gets up and goes but is also at a comfortable rate where everything is just perfect. Like is it between 15 and 20 kn or is it between five and 10 .I would not have a clue. So if there is someone who can answer my question I would be much appreciated.
Regards
O_Smailason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42EB94D0-220D-47EF-819F-43EE927B00AA.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	235255  
O_Smiladon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 01:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cavalier 26. New owner. First yacht.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, O. Smailason.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 02:08   #3

Boat: Noelex 22

Bro, your boat looks amazing. Are you based in Auckland?
Vorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 02:12   #4

Yeah mate Howick
Old 26-03-2021, 09:31   #5

Hello Smiladon and welcome.

This little boat is IMO just perfect for learning on. One of the first things you have to learn :-) is that she will perform well in any wind strength from, say, five knots to, say, 22 knots. The amount (area) of sail you wear is adjustable, and it is up to you to choose the right amount for the given conditions. As a starting point: At 5 knots of wind you wear full main and a genoa of, say, 130% of the area of the foretriangle. She will move along at about 2 1/2 or 3 knots through the water with very little heel, perhaps 5º.

As the wind rises, she will heel more, and by the time your clinometer (get one if you don't already have one and mount it where you can see it from the helm) reads 15º, it is time to reduce the fore sail to 100% or even 80%. That will happen at about 12 knots of wind. She will now, if the water is flat, be going her hull speed (or very nearly) of about 6 knots with about 10º of heel. There is no purpose at all in heeling more than 15º. It will only slow her down and make her "squirrelly".

As the wind rises further and she comes to 15º of heel again, which will happen at about 16 knots of wind, you reduce sail further by taking a single reef in the mainsail and leaving the headsail at 80%. She won't go any faster, because she can't, but the heel will come off her, and so will the strain on the gear, and you, yourself, will feel more in control.

15º of heel is the magic thing watch. She'll be safe enough in 22 or 25 knots of wind PROVIDED you stick to the 15º benchmark for heeling and continue to reduce sail as the wind gets snarly.

What makes a little boat unhappy is not so much the strength of wind, but rather the height of waves and their "period" - essentially the distance between crests. The greater the height and the shorter the period, i.e. the steeper the waves, the more unhappy the boat will get, and in a boat this size, by the time you see spume blowing off the white horses - the foam at the wave crests - you should, as a novice, already have gone home.

The numbers I have given you above are rather idealized, but you see the principle. As you begin to sail your new boat, stick to the principle, and get to know what the numbers are for that particular boat, always using the 15º of heel as the datum.

As I understand the geography around Auckland, Hauraki Gulf is just perfect for learning. I wouldn't, in this sort of boat and as a novice, venture much beyond the two Barrier Islands. Save that till after you have gotten some experience and learned what little boats do in big waters.

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 11:33   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

If you need further help let me know, I would be happy to.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 12:16   #7

Mate thanks so much for your replay
Awesome!!!
Cheers mate
Smiladon
Old 26-03-2021, 12:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Hello Smiladon and welcome.

This little boat is IMO just perfect for learning on. One of the first things you have to learn :-) is that she will perform well in any wind strength from, say, five knots to, say, 22 knots. The amount (area) of sail you wear is adjustable, and it is up to you to choose the right amount for the given conditions. As a starting point: At 5 knots of wind you wear full main and a genoa of, say, 130% of the area of the foretriangle. She will move along at about 2 1/2 or 3 knots through the water with very little heel, perhaps 5º.

As the wind rises, she will heel more, and by the time your clinometer (get one if you don't already have one and mount it where you can see it from the helm) reads 15º, it is time to reduce the fore sail to 100% or even 80%. That will happen at about 12 knots of wind. She will now, if the water is flat, be going her hull speed (or very nearly) of about 6 knots with about 10º of heel. There is no purpose at all in heeling more than 15º. It will only slow her down and make her "squirrelly".

As the wind rises further and she comes to 15º of heel again, which will happen at about 16 knots of wind, you reduce sail further by taking a single reef in the mainsail and leaving the headsail at 80%. She won't go any faster, because she can't, but the heel will come off her, and so will the strain on the gear, and you, yourself, will feel more in control.

15º of heel is the magic thing watch. She'll be safe enough in 22 or 25 knots of wind PROVIDED you stick to the 15º benchmark for heeling and continue to reduce sail as the wind gets snarly.

What makes a little boat unhappy is not so much the strength of wind, but rather the height of waves and their "period" - essentially the distance between crests. The greater the height and the shorter the period, i.e. the steeper the waves, the more unhappy the boat will get, and in a boat this size, by the time you see spume blowing off the white horses - the foam at the wave crests - you should, as a novice, already have gone home.

The numbers I have given you above are rather idealized, but you see the principle. As you begin to sail your new boat, stick to the principle, and get to know what the numbers are for that particular boat, always using the 15º of heel as the datum.

As I understand the geography around Auckland, Hauraki Gulf is just perfect for learning. I wouldn't, in this sort of boat and as a novice, venture much beyond the two Barrier Islands. Save that till after you have gotten some experience and learned what little boats do in big waters.

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds,
Mate that is gold!! Thanks very much for taking the time to write that all down. Very informative.
I have taken all that you have said onboard and will use that 15 degrees as the guide. Thanks so much
Smiladon
Old 26-03-2021, 12:57   #9

Boat: Hanse 575
Send a message via MSN to Awatea Send a message via Skype™ to Awatea
pirate Re: Cavalier 26. New owner. First yacht.

Hi Mate
I built a Cav 30 in my parent's backyard back in the early '70s! The 26 was a 1/4 ton model, 30' a 1/2 ton, and 36 one tonner. I think all 3 designs won the world titles back then.
The boats fly to windward and best breeze in the 10-15 knots.
I took my little yacht up to Fiji and some other Pacific Islands for 2 years. She did well. I believe my old yacht is in Tauranga. Sneaky Heat was her name. Happy memories!!!
You will have lots of fun with her!!
Awatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 10:00   #10

O. Smailason,
Just curious, is the pic in your post a '26 Cavalier?
Mike
mcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 14:58   #11

Yes mate she is.
Old 29-03-2021, 12:43   #12
lyl

Beautiful boat.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 13:00   #13

Good choice.
Take a read of 'Voyage of the Harrier' - Julian Mustoe , there's a copy at Auckland Library .
A sistership to your boat ( Doug Peterson 26 / Cavalier 26)
Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht