Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2012, 20:08   #16

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Catalina Prop Walk

Also blare Walk This Way by Aerosmith as you're backing out of your slip
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 21:22   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
Our solution to the reverse walk is to "walk" (as in using two feet) the boat out and keep the bow line in hand. Hop on when the shrouds reach the end of the finger... Give the bow a little tweak in just before you jump on. You can easily generate enough way to get some steering control just by hand.

JRM
This is what I do also. No need to turn getting out of your slip into a Chinese fire drill. You only need a little way for steerage. All this hard over, full throttle stuff is nonsense and if you're crashing into your neighbor each time, I'm sure they do not appreciate it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 23:16   #18

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
Our solution to the reverse walk is to "walk" (as in using two feet) the boat out and keep the bow line in hand. Hop on when the shrouds reach the end of the finger... Give the bow a little tweak in just before you jump on.
OK, I'm trying to think this through. So, I'm "walking" my Catalina 36 out of the slip with the bow line in my hand. At the last possible moment (at the end of the finger), I JUMP on the boat. And if I miss the jump from the dock because the boat has drifted away a foot or two, I'm supposed to, what, pull a 10,000 lb boat back into the slip with the bow line?

I personally think that it is better in the long run for one to learn how to control one's boat.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 23:35   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
OK, I'm trying to think this through. So, I'm "walking" my Catalina 36 out of the slip with the bow line in my hand. At the last possible moment (at the end of the finger), I JUMP on the boat. And if I miss the jump from the dock because the boat has drifted away a foot or two, I'm supposed to, what, pull a 10,000 lb boat back into the slip with the bow line?

I personally think that it is better in the long run for one to learn how to control one's boat.

Mike
Not sure anyone said at the last possible moment. I think we're talking moving it 10 ft. or so. Just get the vessel moving a little so the rudder can respond to water flow. Personally I grab a rail to get it moving. If you have prop walk, how do you call it control if it is plowing into a neighbors vessel?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina