Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2014, 10:04   #181

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: Catalina or Hunter?

Here's my input, for what it's worth.

I would go with the Hunter because it will be easier to live on (walk around berth vs. crawl over berth). I think the Catalina 36 is a better sailor (slightly slower but stiffer) but not by much. And I really like the walk through transom on the Catalina for safety and convenience, if you are going to have dogs on board this might outweigh the berth issue. As Stu and others pointed out, pass on the C34 or look for one that wasn't struck by lightening.

As to the survey, unless you are going all cash and not carrying insurance you are going to need a survey of your own. You're lender or insurance company can't rely on a survey done for someone else. So since you are likely to get one anyways, why not do it pre-purchase?
Old 26-09-2014, 10:06   #182

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
Here's my input, for what it's worth.

I would go with the Hunter because it will be easier to live on (walk around berth vs. crawl over berth). I think the Catalina 36 is a better sailor (slightly slower but stiffer) but not by much. And I really like the walk through transom on the Catalina for safety and convenience, if you are going to have dogs on board this might outweigh the berth issue. As Stu and others pointed out, pass on the C34 or look for one that wasn't struck by lightening.

As to the survey, unless you are going all cash and not carrying insurance you are going to need a survey of your own. You're lender or insurance company can't rely on a survey done for someone else. So since you are likely to get one anyways, why not do it pre-purchase?
Excellent advice. I am paying cash, but as my home base will be either Regatta Pointe or Twin Dolphins in Bradenton, insurance will be necessary.
Old 26-09-2014, 12:42   #183
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post

There they are. What do y'all think?
Is this a trick question

2 boats with known problems that could easily be a lot worst that you think (if 1 chainplate is bad what do you really think the others are like and what cause the the first ones' problem, boat that has taken a lighting strike will chase related problems from it for years), and 1 boat with no problems and above average condition.
Old 26-09-2014, 13:02   #184
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
and 1 boat with no problems
Well now, I'd be willing to bet there might be a problem or two. Maybe JT will share any concerns listed on the survey? Having a recent survey to look at is certainly a plus if it was done by a reliable guy. Of course, that's the fun part.....finding the things wrong that the surveyor missed. But hey, it's a boat and there will always be a "to do" list. It is a 25 year old boat.

Ralph
Old 26-09-2014, 13:39   #185

Boat: Macgregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I didn't bother inspecting the links but have this to offer-

Forget the name plates. They are essentially the same in terms of build quality.

Which offers the best equipment? Best maintained? Best size for the value?

pick the one which answers the above 3 questions. Anything else is just background noise or subjective.
I have been in the process of buying used cars for my wife and daughters for a year now. I tell them it is nice to have wants: style, color, brand, etc... but we are buying the best deal we can, period. best deal meaning the best cross of price and condition.
Old 26-09-2014, 13:43   #186

Quote:
Here's something else. The Hunter was under contract a month ago, but the financing fell through. Before that happened the buyer commissioned and completed a survey of the vessel. I have the survey, completed September third, which the prospective buyer provided the seller when the seller returned the deposit.

The boat surveyed as "Above Average Condition" and was valued at $89,000 with a replacement value of $175,000.

With a survey that recent, and one that is in my hands, do I need to have it surveyed again?
If you are borrowing for it, likely the lender will require another one. If a deal fell through, the seller will be anxious. Use that to your advantage

When my wife and I buy, we will pay cash. We will not have a survey done until after taking possession. We will pay so little though, that we could fix anything that needs it and still be ahead.
Old 26-09-2014, 13:56   #187
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
We will not have a survey done until after taking possession. We will pay so little though, that we could fix anything that needs it and still be ahead.
Why have the survey done after purchase? No sure I am following your logic here.

Ralph
Old 26-09-2014, 14:50   #188

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Why have the survey done after purchase? No sure I am following your logic here.

Ralph
Insurance prerequisite.
Old 27-09-2014, 07:52   #189

Go with Catalina. The spreaders on the Hunters are swept back at an extreme angle so you can't let the main out for beam reaching or running.

Captn Morgan
Old 27-09-2014, 08:54   #190

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn morgan View Post
Go with Catalina. The spreaders on the Hunters are swept back at an extreme angle so you can't let the main out for beam reaching or running.

Captn Morgan
Generalizations are almost never true. On Catalinas, the main is the 'driving' sail. Not so on most Hunters of that design, therefore, the spreader configuration is largely irrelevant.
Old 27-09-2014, 10:05   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post

Ralph
Not requiring/requesting a survey speeds along the sale. We will likely be buying from someone desperate. We will be looking at $300k to $400k boats and offering 1/2 of asking price. We will offer to a dozen people or so, someone will need the money...
Old 27-09-2014, 10:47   #192

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
Not requiring/requesting a survey speeds along the sale. We will likely be buying from someone desperate. We will be looking at $300k to $400k boats and offering 1/2 of asking price. We will offer to a dozen people or so, someone will need the money...

I did that with a house once and it bit me in the ass to the tune of about 90k. Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-09-2014, 11:07   #193

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, I know, most of you will shout "NEITHER!" But let's skip that part. Here's my thing. After years of chartering, I'm buying and planning to live aboard. The parameters of that are these: $50k boat budget. 34-36 boat length. Beamy enough to be comfortable below. That said, I've narrowed the search down to Catalina and Hunter 34-36s. Which direction should I go?

Let the production boat bashing begin.
We bought a Legend 37 a year ago and spent most of the winter refitting her the way we wanted. I asked a few questions on things like removing our roller furler with hank-on headsails and a religious war almost erupted over it. I was even told I don't know what I'm doing and we're going die because it's not safe. If the poster that told me that knew anything at all about Hunter Legends he would've known that the Legend's B&R rig has a huge main with a relatively small headsail and that a two-person crew can handle them with no problem, even in rough seas. But that's not the "advice" I got. I said f&*k 'em and did it anyway because I didn't want no roller furler on my boat.

We ended up trucking our boat to New Orleans and sea trialed all the refits. Then sailed her to Belize and Puerto Rico (WITH hank-on headsails no less) where she's waiting for us to go cruising again this upcoming winter.

Meanwhile all the internet sailors are still typing away and debating whether or not it can even be done, what's a so-called "blue water" boat vs a "coastal cruiser", Hunters are the ultimate "dock queens" and on an on. That's why I don't waste much of my time on these internet sailing forums anymore.

Buy the boat you like, that's equipped the way you want for the crew you got, and that you can afford. If you have to do some refits figure that in. Then go sail her. You ain't gonna learn much about what's the right cruising yacht for you from an internet forum.

On the Catalina vs Hunter issue I can only offer that in your price range you can buy a Legend-series Hunter. We got $62 Grand plus about $18,000 in refits in ours and she is absolutely a SUPERB ocean cruiser. She's faster than hell and she'll easily outrun most 44's, she handles heavy weather and seas with no issues, she's easy for a husband/wife crew to sail, economical to maintain, and plenty of room and living accommodations for two for 10-12 days at sea. We are thoroughly pleased with her and don't care what anybody else thinks about "production boats" (whatever those are because they're all "production").
Old 27-09-2014, 15:38   #194

Boat: Moody 44

I have heard more complaints about Hunter than I have for Catalina.
So therefore Catalina is the probably the best of the two.
Old 27-09-2014, 16:06   #195
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
We bought a Legend 37 a year ago and spent most of the winter refitting her the way we wanted. I asked a few questions on things like removing our roller furler with hank-on headsails and a religious war almost erupted over it..
Cool on using hank on jibs. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure you knew to up size the forward stay one size to allow for wear and tear on the stay caused by the hanks sliding up and down and twisting around the stay under load. That's how it was done old school.
Closed Thread

Tags
catalina, hunter