Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 16:43   #16

Boat: Cataline 36 MKII
Re: Catalina 36 lazy jacks vs. "stack pack" options

Another vote for the Dutchman. Have your new main modified. I have the Dutchman on my 2001 Catalina 36 and love the ability to just dump the main quickly if/WHEN needed.
DennisRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 17:33   #17

Had lazy jacks on my Catalina 38. Same issue. But now that they are gone and want to replace them, I have thought that the solution is to make them 1/3 shorter than what is recommended. Since they seem to catch the battens up high and do you really need them until the sail is almost down anyway? Thoughts?
elittke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 22:53   #18

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlessummer56 View Post
We aren't planning on racing this boat,
. . . LOL . . . Sez he! LOL . . . but we all know, as soon as another sail appears on the horizon . . . the race is ON. LOL . . . BTW, welcome to the forum.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 00:26   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
. . . LOL . . . Sez he! LOL . . . but we all know, as soon as another sail appears on the horizon . . . the race is ON. LOL . . . BTW, welcome to the forum.
Yep, when another boat going the same way hoves into sight, we're racing. Unless, of course, the other boat proves to be faster -- in such cases we are hard core cruisers!
Jim
Old 12-08-2018, 03:28   #20

I have used both. The Mack Pack is a pain, especially the too small, too weak, cheap, undersized, zipper system.
Stay with the lazy jacks and sail cover.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:22   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

I've had lazy jacks and stack packs, I have now gone to Dutchman for last 7 years I would not think of going back. It works in any weather and no other lines to mess with, only "hassle" is putting on the sail cover, no big deal.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:52   #22

Boat: 1979 Islander 36

I race a few times a year solo. I recently switched to the Doyle Cradle cover, which is a stack pack independent of the main sail. When I drop the sail or reef, I don’t need sail ties. That is a big plus for me. I no longer worry about the extra cloth attached to the boom. I got used to it.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:03   #23

A stack pack is much easier on the sail. I had lazy jacks only on my old sail, and the lines were wearing through the sail where the lines creased the sail. With the lazy bag, the sail is always supported by the bag.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 17:37   #24

Boat: Cataline 36 MKII

As you read the above, the Common Thread is that lazy Jack's frequently catch on the battens. At the very least you need to plan so that they don't catch on the battens. With the Dutchman, there's no such extra thing to worry about. Effective and simple.
DennisRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 17:59   #25

Boat: Catalina 320

I've had Dutchman for a couple decades, works fine when you got it adjusted and set up right. Last had a new main made for a previous boat at the main Ullman loft in Newport, CA. They had to order the parts for the sail, fairleads and those discs for the control line pockets, about $200.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 22:14   #26

Boat: Catalina 36

So I'm reading all of these and want to reply/ask questions to you all (thanks!) but I am so damn new to this forum I dont seem to be smart enough to be able to reply individually??? I will try to parse though all this info and I appreciate all your input! It's a hard choice... racer/cruiser/purist... I'm not a big fan of the Dutchman system (and yes I know that those that ARE really ARE fans) but I am not set on the "pack" system yet. Still rolling it around. And still trying to figure out how to reply to y'all!
Endlessummer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 03:18   #27

Boat: B24

I've looked seriously at the "pack" system, and wondered about the long-term durability of the zipper, similarly the "lazy-jack" battan and chaffing issues, at least in my imagination; I'd forgotten all about the Dutchman set up, but don't know anyone using one -- I suspect there ain't no free lunch (and maybe I'm just making up excuses to not make any decision at all), but appreciate all the insight/experience...
Old 13-08-2018, 05:27   #28

Boat: Beneteau First 42

In the late '90's we installed a set of "EZJax", a retractable lazy jacks system, on our (then) '76 Cal 2-29. The system worked very well when striking or reefing the sail and being able to retract the risers, did not interfere with the hoist of the sail. When we got our current yacht, in 2002, my intention was to have a set of EZJax installed on it as well. Our sail maker, however, convinced me to go with a Dutchman system which we have used since. Adjusted properly, the Dutchman works reasonably well on the "drop" but one can "hook" a batten end on a riser if one is not careful on the hoist. Given a choice between the two, the EZJax system was/is much preferable. While the EZJax vendor was a "one-man band" and now seems to be out of business, his EZJax has been supplanted by (click on) "Jiffy-Jax", which offers, essentially, the same system.

Further, I know no one with a "Stack Pack" system that replaced it with another once the cover of the first had worn out.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 06:40   #29

I replaced mine. After taking off my old lazy bag that was in tatters, I switched to lazy jacks and a regular sail cover. After seeing the damage to my sail from the lazy jacks without the lazy bag, when I bought a new sail, also bought a new lazy bag. Protects the sail much, which to me is important, especially since my main is $15,000!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 07:46   #30

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
Why not stick with the Dutchman, I have been very pleased with the Dutchman on some of the many boats I have delivered. Sail goes up easily and comes back down and folds itself up nicely, then you put on the cover and all done. The Key is for the sailmaker to install the sail grommets close enough together to flake the sail narrow enough to fit comfortably over the boom. A new sail must be trained to flake properly.
I agree. I liked the Dutchman system on my former boat a lot. Better than lazyjacks IMHO.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 36