Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2020, 03:30   #1
lyl

Catalina 315 Question

What do you guys think about Catalina 315 as the first sailboat? Is it the cheapest CE class A in the market? Any opinions on 315 is appreciated.
TY
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:25   #2
lyl

Re: Catalina 315 Question

So anybody who owns a Catalina 315 and hates or loves her/his boat?
Old 10-12-2020, 09:08   #3

Tell us what the answer is that you are looking for, and we'll gladly give it to you :-)

To be serious, no-one can give you a reasonable answer to your question unless he knows what, precisely, it is you want the boat to do for you. Do you want to day-sail with an occasional overnighter, all in benign waters, or do you want to do transoceanic passages?

We can also give you better answers if we know something about your experience and competence level, but, for starters, I doubt that you would have asked the question you asked if you, as a skipper, were ready to do transoceanic stuff :-).

Similarly, for starters, both the hull shape of this boat and its interior arrangements militate, IMO, against using it for serious cruising. My reasons for holding that opinion are many and complex. They stem in part from obvious aspects of the hull design, and in part from practical cruising (and teaching) experience in somewhat similar boats.

Different boats of this size and apparent design desiderata are to a large extent fungible. A thorough discussion of what I consider this and similar boats' shortcomings for serious cruising cannot be easily reduced to a single, or even a few, e-mails, but if you want to pursue it, we can start with your asking some more specific questions on the basis of what I've said above.

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:31   #4
lyl

I'm new, no experience at all. Even though I've learned a lot about sailboats in the past few months, I did all that as an armchair sailor with a tablet in my hands in my cozy living room. How should I get into this? I think I'm on a wrong path with 315, huh?
Old 11-12-2020, 13:18   #5

Boat: Oyster 435

We currently own a Catalina 36 and owned a Catalina 28 in the past. I’ve been pleased with both. I believe they are well made and represent a good value.

Are they the coolest, fastest, saltiest boats on the market- Probably not, but they met our needs and we spend many days on the water.

I’ve never been on a 315, but If I was interested I would consider joihing the Catalina 310/315 owners group. I’d look to determine what work owners have done. Get the general feeling if owners are happy. If there are any glaring problems it will become evident.

When we were considering a 36 we joined the Catalina 36 owners group. Through that a local member invited us to tour his boat. It was helpful making our decsion.

I can’t answer if the 315 is a great first boat. It is or isn’t based on your goals and perspective.

Good luck,
Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4035.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	228477  
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 13:29   #6
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru View Post
We currently own a Catalina 36 and owned a Catalina 28 in the past. I’ve been pleased with both. I believe they are well made and represent a good value.

Are they the coolest, fastest, saltiest boats on the market- Probably not, but they met our needs and we spend many days on the water.

I’ve never been on a 315, but If I was interested I would consider joihing the Catalina 310/315 owners group. I’d look to determine what work owners have done. Get the general feeling if owners are happy. If there are any glaring problems it will become evident.

When we were considering a 36 we joined the Catalina 36 owners group. Through that a local member invited us to tour his boat. It was helpful making our decsion.

I can’t answer if the 315 is a great first boat. It is or isn’t based on your goals and perspective.

Good luck,
Ray
this was helpful, TY.
Old 11-12-2020, 14:07   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

I sailed a Catalina 310. I thought it was a cool little boat for 2 people with the island berth up front. The 315 is a more conservative design but not so similar to the 310. Have you checked out the 310 at all?
Old 11-12-2020, 14:31   #8
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
I sailed a Catalina 310. I thought it was a cool little boat for 2 people with the island berth up front. The 315 is a more conservative design but not so similar to the 310. Have you checked out the 310 at all?
This was quite beneficial comment. I'll check 310. Although, I'm planning to buy a new boat and sail it for long years to come. My plan is to sail alone or two people tops. If 315 is really Class CE A and open sea / ocean worthy, it could very well end up being my first and last sail boat. Looking for safety, quality, and least amont of headaches.
Old 11-12-2020, 19:22   #9

Boat: Tartan 28

while I’ve not sailed a catalina 315, I have looked at one in our marina. Even with the CE A rating, I dont think most would consider this boat for long open water passages. It is a coastal cruiser. Nothing more. I would suggest getting some time on the water and learning what you like, dont like, and need before dropping $150k on your “last boat”. Where you end up will not be where you started regardless. We sail a 28ft boat that is very well constucted, and I’m sure is sea worthy enough to cross an ocean. That said, it is also considered a coastal cruiser, and I wouldn’t want to cross an ocean with it. The 31 foot catalina will be small, light, uncomfortable, tossed around, limited on storage, limited on water, etc.. for long passages. It’s mast, rigging, etc.. will also not be the strongest to handle a storm at sea. A lot of people will take some lessons, get a starter boat, and do some cruising for a while before dropping big money on their last boat. I can say for certain that our experiences have definitely changed our long term plans as we’ve learned.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 20:48   #10
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
while I’ve not sailed a catalina 315, I have looked at one in our marina. Even with the CE A rating, I dont think most would consider this boat for long open water passages. It is a coastal cruiser. Nothing more. I would suggest getting some time on the water and learning what you like, dont like, and need before dropping $150k on your “last boat”. Where you end up will not be where you started regardless. We sail a 28ft boat that is very well constucted, and I’m sure is sea worthy enough to cross an ocean. That said, it is also considered a coastal cruiser, and I wouldn’t want to cross an ocean with it. The 31 foot catalina will be small, light, uncomfortable, tossed around, limited on storage, limited on water, etc.. for long passages. It’s mast, rigging, etc.. will also not be the strongest to handle a storm at sea. A lot of people will take some lessons, get a starter boat, and do some cruising for a while before dropping big money on their last boat. I can say for certain that our experiences have definitely changed our long term plans as we’ve learned.
A great eye opening response. TY.
I've seen the photos of 315 and started to think the class A in the brochure might even be some sort of typo!? Beneteau 30.1, for example, is not A rated.
You didn't have to underline the 'last boat.' I know it was stupid to say that.
As you seem to me like an experienced sailor, I have to ask what boats do you think would be great starters for me. I have zero experience. yeah, I wanna be able to sail to bahamas one day, this and that... Where, how, with what should I start?
Old 12-12-2020, 12:34   #11
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
Well, Zemmuray, my friend, your comment kept me sleepless for a good couple of hours last night. I thought 315 would be a good starter, because I considered it compared to 22. I'm planning to sail it where I would sail a 22. When I feel confident enough to sail to open seas with it why shouldn't it be the last one? I'll sail alone or 2 people tops. With the wing keel, it can sail anywhere. When I was a kid at the Mediterrean region, I met many sailor couples who would've considered 30 ft as the Caddy of sail boats. I'm trying to understand your logic and learn from your experiences.
Old 12-12-2020, 21:39   #12

If you are relying on a CE rating to give you confidence in the open ocean then you really shouldn't be out there.

If I were you I wouldn't be thinking about buying boat at all right now. Go get some experience and all these questions will answer themselves.

I hate to say it but if you have 159k to spend on a boat, then just go charter some boats and make all your mistakes on someone else boat. Seawind, oceanis and catalinas are all readily available in charters.

If you were responsible I would take some lessons before chartering but it seems a lot of charter outfits don't require any experience at all. So i guess that's their own fault.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 20:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by catama View Post
Well, Zemmuray, my friend, your comment kept me sleepless for a good couple of hours last night. I thought 315 would be a good starter, because I considered it compared to 22. I'm planning to sail it where I would sail a 22. When I feel confident enough to sail to open seas with it why shouldn't it be the last one? I'll sail alone or 2 people tops. With the wing keel, it can sail anywhere. When I was a kid at the Mediterrean region, I met many sailor couples who would've considered 30 ft as the Caddy of sail boats. I'm trying to understand your logic and learn from your experiences.
I think a 315 would be a great boat to learn on. It’s a good size and should sail well. I think my comments were more based on your desire to go long distance with it. It’s a coastal cruiser and the limitations I mentioned would make it not the best choice for a “blue water” boat. I’m not sure of your situation, if your still working, retired and ready to world cruise, etc..

I’m not a real experienced sailor. My wife and I started 2.5 years ago with the same dream. I’m still working. We did take a week long private sailing school first, just us to and a captain (ASA courses). After that we were hooked and started boat shopping. The advice given to us was to buy a boat 28-32ft, no larger, and learn on that. Start sailing, work in some overnight trips, and gradually go longer distances. In the last two years we’ve sailed 1000’s of miles, many coastal cruises, and the longest on the boat at once stretch was about 5 weeks. There is a lot to learn, the bigger the boat the more forces on the sails, rigging, and lines. It was good advice for us, as the first few storms made some mistakes and would not have been able to handle larger sail forces. We also learned how to conserve on water, holding tank capacities, provisioning, etc.. etc.. The smaller the boat, the easier to learn, but the lower your capacities.

If you’ve never sailed before, I’d strongly consider at least taking a week long course. You or your wife might get bad sea sick, or decide you dont like it etc.. Better to find out while your learning, then after you drop 100 grand on a boat.

FWIW, we did a lot of research and talked to well experienced teachers about our first boat. We bought an older one, spent a fair amount of money getting her in top shape. Still a lot less than a new 315. We will live with this boat for a couple more years, then likely buy our dream boat. 35-40ft, ready for longer voyages.

If you are retired and want to take off now, at least get some good solid instruction in first. This will help you immensely in getting closer to the right boat for your needs.
Old 13-12-2020, 20:21   #14

I’ll also add, that sailing to the Bahamas you can do from any coastal cruiser boat from the US, as your longest passage would still be considered a coastal cruise. the 315 would be absolutely fine for this if this is your long term goal. An Atlantic crossing, not so much..
Old 14-12-2020, 14:26   #15
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Tell us what the answer is that you are looking for, and we'll gladly give it to you :-)

To be serious, no-one can give you a reasonable answer to your question unless he knows what, precisely, it is you want the boat to do for you. Do you want to day-sail with an occasional overnighter, all in benign waters, or do you want to do transoceanic passages?

We can also give you better answers if we know something about your experience and competence level, but, for starters, I doubt that you would have asked the question you asked if you, as a skipper, were ready to do transoceanic stuff :-).

Similarly, for starters, both the hull shape of this boat and its interior arrangements militate, IMO, against using it for serious cruising. My reasons for holding that opinion are many and complex. They stem in part from obvious aspects of the hull design, and in part from practical cruising (and teaching) experience in somewhat similar boats.

Different boats of this size and apparent design desiderata are to a large extent fungible. A thorough discussion of what I consider this and similar boats' shortcomings for serious cruising cannot be easily reduced to a single, or even a few, e-mails, but if you want to pursue it, we can start with your asking some more specific questions on the basis of what I've said above.

All the best

TrentePieds
TY, I still have alot to learn. Getting there one subject at a time.

Tags
catalina