Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 14:14   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Catalina 315 Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
Answers to...
1st paragraph: That is not what I exactly meant. The wing at the tip becomes a bit vertical as the boat heels. The more heeling, more vertical stand - again, just the wing at the tip.
2nd paragraph: I was talking about the 'wing' part only.
3rd paragraph: I did not say wing keels perform better than fin keels.
4th paragraph: I had not mentioned the Aussie AC during any conversation in my life before; I've just learned about it.
I'm sorry if I have offended you. It was meant to be informative.

Good luck in your search.

Jim
Old 22-01-2021, 14:46   #47
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I'm sorry if I have offended you. It was meant to be informative.

Good luck in your search.

Jim
No, no, no, I was not offended, man - far from it. I wrote brief answers, because I wanted to figure out where I was thinking wrong; details would have complicated the matter more.
I realize that there are so many wing keel designs for performance, but when I look at the wing keel on Catalina 315, I sense that it was made for shallow water sailing. It doesn't have the bulby look or anything; it really looks like a thin wing at the bottom tip of the keel. So when the boat doesn't heel, the wing is horizontal to the surface, but when the boat heels, the wing starts to stand more vertically - not all the way 90 degrees but certainly not horizontal anymore at all. Let's say when the boat heels close to 90 degrees to a point that the traditional fin keel would be almost out of water, on 315's wing keel design, one side of the wing would be still in water in almost 90 degrees vertical to the surface - like the leeboards on both sides of my outrigger canoe, the wing then should help sailing across or into the wind. I must be missing something here.
The way I visualize in my head, the minute a 315 starts to heel, the wing at the bottom tip of her keel is not horizontal to the surface anymore. The more the boat heels, the more vertical the wing becomes to the surface. When a sailboat with fin keel heels, the fin always is vertical with an angle, and when boat reaches 90 degrees, the fin keel becomes horizontal to the surface in theory. In 315's wing keel, like an upside down capital letter T, there is always some vertical aspect against the surface. As the fin part from the hull to the wing becomes horizontal, the wing at the tip becomes vertical... Where do I go wrong?
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 16:21   #48
lyl

Well, I'll pick a fin keel Catalina anyhow, so how does the wing keel perform doesn't matter for me that much. I've been reading about the wing keels, and there are too many details; I think the outcome is up to the design of a certain keel. I'll avoid generalizing wing keels from now on, I guess.
Old 22-01-2021, 23:02   #49

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
I've decided to start with a used Catalina 22.
I'm glad you decided, Full, and I wish you all the best on your journey.

Sailing is fun.
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 13:37   #50
lyl

I dunno, man. I might even end up sailing a Corsair trimaran when the time comes. I say, 'yeah, okay,' to people's faces but still do what I feel like at the end of the day. I've never listened to anybody but myself and have done pretty good in life. Life is too short to 'really' listen to others, especially the ones 'online.'
I don't see myself on a Cat22 to be honest. I've been having fun with a Windrider 17 that I've rented a few times in the past couple of months, a fast trimaran. I don't know if I wanna go monohull-ing or cat-ing after enjoying that vessel. Just like motorcycles, there seems to be no 'wrong' decisions with sailboats as long as you start small.
Old 23-01-2021, 14:02   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I say, 'yeah, okay,' to people's faces but still do what I feel like at the end of the day. I've never listened to anybody but myself and have done pretty good in life. Life is too short to 'really' listen to others, especially the ones 'online.'
Full, that's kinda a slap in the face for all of us who have tried to answer your many posts and threads.

Goodbye.

Jim
Old 23-01-2021, 14:24   #52
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Full, that's kinda a slap in the face for all of us who have tried to answer your many posts and threads.

Goodbye.

Jim
I'm sorry if I have offended you. I did not mean to do that.

Goodbye and good luck.

Tags
catalina