Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2013, 18:45   #1

Catalina 27 tall rig vs Newport 28

New to this forum but I have post on SBO several times over the years. I currently have a Cat 22 on Lake Erie. Looking to move up to a larger boat and do a bit more cruising etc.
I have looked at a very nice '86 Cat 27 tall rig. I have looked and sailed on several Cat 27 in the past year. This one has a lot of ammenities like refrigeration electronics, bimini, dodger etc.
At our marina, a guy has a 83 Newport 28. I've sailed on this boat a couple of times. Last summer this boat never got in the water. It doesn't have too many extras but seems to be in good shape except for some leaky windows of the type I've fixed before.
I know the Newport is suppose to sail better, point higher. It has a better Bal/Disp ratio, SA/Disp ratio, D/L ratio. But these are very close.
I'm looked for opinions of the sailing and cruising community. The Cat has the advantage of being ready to sail in comfort right now (except for the fact that it is January) The Newport has a fuel hose leak and needs a little TLC but is sea worthy.
Thoughts and observations welcomed.
bhstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 11:56   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Catalina 27 tall rig vs Newport 28

My personal preference would be the Catalina only because I helped a friend haul his Newport 28 to find about a million blisters on the bottom and remember the job that needed to be done to fix them.
I'm also a former fin keel Catalina 22 owner and believe them to have a bit better build quality than Newport. Can't be positive of that but Catalina is still in business. Don't buy a wing keel if that's what's on the Catalina. They act like an anchor when you go aground in sand or mud.
I believe the Newport would be a bit faster sailing because of the longer waterline.
kind regards,
Old 20-01-2013, 16:01   #3

Thanks for the input. A few details: about 5 years ago the Newport owner spent about half the summer stripping the bottom, patching some dings etc and putting about 4 layers of Interlux barrier coat on it, sanding and putting on VC17. She has a beautiful bottom Rationally he probably should sell but I get the feeling he really doesn't want to sell.
The Cat is a fin keel not the wing. I think I will have the cat surveyed and make an offer. The Admiral likes it best anyway.
bhstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 23:25   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

If the bottom on the Newport is done then it would be a toss up as to which one to pick. Condition would be the next thing to look at as well as auxiliary power. But, it seems your friend doesn't really want to sell so your decision is made for you.
Good luck whichever way you choose to go.
kind regards,
Old 21-01-2013, 09:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I had a cat 27 with pox. Not bad but needed redone. Most are epoxy coated by now. That and check the decks and upgrades to make sure they have been done. A boat that has been well maintained is miles ahead of one that needs a little work. Trust me on this. :-)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, newport