Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 08:48   #1

Catalina 27 Keel Bolts

Are horribly rusted Catalina 27 keel bolts enough to move along to another boat during a search? I'm looking to move up to a boat that has more space. I've read forums about the various techniques for fixing this issues, such as adding lag bolts, but the amount of security or strength of this fix, has me concerned. I was interested to hear more feedback from anyone who has performed this themselves. Also if anyone has tested this fix the old fashion way, such as a grounding.

endlessbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 09:02   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Catalina 27 Keel Bolts

Such "ingenious" fixes are destined to failure. There are much more significant issues with C27s than bad keel bolts such as the ubiquitous mast step rot problem to keep away from one that has any indications of poor maintenance history. You might want to widen your search beyond a specific brand name and look at boats with an obvious record of routine and professionally done maintenance.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 09:14   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I don't know about the Catalina 27, but there is a debate amongst boat designers as to what the best keel bolt material is.

Some go with steel since it is immune to crevice corrosion, but will result in a general rusting. Others use stainless to prevent the rust, but accept crevice corrosion. The real problem is both these materials are terrible in this application.

Frankly I would require the current owner to drop the keel and inspect the bolts. It is a pretty easy operation, but it does require a travel lift or crane. Once done though you know what you have.

As for the 'fixes' they are all suspect in my eyes. Lag bolts, anchors, and the rest can't be considered reasonable alternatives to a cast in place threaded rod.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 09:31   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I owned a Catalina 27, Hull #3438 for about 8 years and sailed it on the SF Bay the entire time.

Fixing Keel Bolts is no big deal so long a there is no major damage to the sole caused by water damage.

The early Catalina 27's did not have bildge pumps and the keel bolts were iron, which is a bad combination.

I have helped replace keel bolts twice on other C-27s and they are still sailing them 10 years later without problems. There is also numerous discussions, postings and Blogs on Keel Bolt replcement as well. Search Catalina 27 Keel Bolts.

You will have haul the boat and set it on its keel to get a good seal.

Catalina Direct has a Keel Bolt Kit

Here is good article on the Catalina 27 by Sail Magaine

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 09:47   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

There are so many catalina 27's out there.......look at others.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I don't know about the Catalina 27, but there is a debate amongst boat designers as to what the best keel bolt material is.

Some go with steel since it is immune to crevice corrosion, but will result in a general rusting. Others use stainless to prevent the rust, but accept crevice corrosion. The real problem is both these materials are terrible in this application.

Frankly I would require the current owner to drop the keel and inspect the bolts. It is a pretty easy operation, but it does require a travel lift or crane. Once done though you know what you have.

As for the 'fixes' they are all suspect in my eyes. Lag bolts, anchors, and the rest can't be considered reasonable alternatives to a cast in place threaded rod.
That's an easy question to answer.. NONE, nada, zip, zero bolts of any type..

This guy was real happy to have none I'd wager

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:32   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
There are so many catalina 27's out there.......look at others.
I would take the opposite approach, because I would feel better with a set of newly replaced bolts.

Find out how much the local boat yard would charge to replace the bolts. Use that info to negotiate a lower purchase price. You'll end up with a great boat with new keel bolts.
Old 17-10-2012, 10:51   #8

Boat: Cal 2-27

one of the reasons i like my cal 227 is the lead encased keel with no bolts. i picked my 2-27 over a cal 30 because the 30 had a bolt broken off of one of the bolts and they all made me make the statement to myself that I would repair them if I decided to buy the boat. I like a boat without keel bolts.
Old 17-10-2012, 10:55   #9

They should be replaced. You should be able to find out a lot about it by Googling. The boat is likely worth maybe $3500 +/- with good keelbolts. I looked at one for that much with a recent inboard diesel. (many are outboards) The seller found out it had "deck delaminations" so he gave it away for free! Arghh. didnt call me.... You will likely find most old boats with bolt on keels have never been redone.... not the type of thing that gets much attention. Keep that in mind.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, keel