Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2020, 19:29   #1

Boat: Contessa 32
Catalina 25 vs Cape Dory 25

I am considering a Cape Dory 25 (not the 25D - I wish) to replace my Catalina 25. My C25 is the tall mast, lead wing keel version of the boat. They are both late 80s vintage and the CD 25 appears to be in equal condition.

After looking at the specs on both boats, they appear roughly equivalent with the C25 having a very slight speed advantage. The CD25 appears to have a bit more cabin head room unless you raise the top on the C25. The C25 has a bit more beam And appears to be a little more stable.

With these factors in mind, my choice would be to stay with the known condition of my boat. The thing that is motivating my interest in the CD25 or CD25D (if I could find one) is the apparent build quality of Cape Dory. I may want to occasionally take it beyond sight of the beach. Here in some areas of the Gulf Coast blue water starts 100 miles offshore. I understand the CD25 is small but is built stout enough to venture into blue water. I’m not talking about taking the boat from Texas to Australia, but I would like to venture out a bit without being overly concerned about the boat.

What am I missing here? Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 19:55   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Catalina 25 vs Cape Dory 25

The Cape Dory is a well built boat. However at late 80s vintage it is going to need some things to be off shore ready. Think rebedding all the port lights and deck fittings, standing rigging replacement, close inspection of the rudder and keel, probably new sails.

I would say exactly the same of the Catalina. With the Catalina I would also carefully inspect the bulkheads and tabbing. Set up two reef points in the main sail.

I dont see trading boats for the reason of occasionally going offshore. I think either boat in good condition and prudently sailed could get out beyond the jetties. If you are going 100 miles into the Gulf regularly you may come to see the benefits of a boat in the 30 plus foot range, and then a number of possibilities occur.

I would make careful upgrades to the Catalina, including setting up some fishing gear. Watch the weather. Pay attention to how the boat is doing. Go have some fun.
Old 21-07-2020, 04:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
The Cape Dory is a well built boat. However at late 80s vintage it is going to need some things to be off shore ready. Think rebedding all the port lights and deck fittings, standing rigging replacement, close inspection of the rudder and keel, probably new sails.

I would say exactly the same of the Catalina. With the Catalina I would also carefully inspect the bulkheads and tabbing. Set up two reef points in the main sail.

I dont see trading boats for the reason of occasionally going offshore. I think either boat in good condition and prudently sailed could get out beyond the jetties. If you are going 100 miles into the Gulf regularly you may come to see the benefits of a boat in the 30 plus foot range, and then a number of possibilities occur.

I would make careful upgrades to the Catalina, including setting up some fishing gear. Watch the weather. Pay attention to how the boat is doing. Go have some fun.
Thanks Brent!

That sounds like great advice. There was one more item that I neglected to list. The CD25 has diesel Power but I’m not having a problem with the 10hp 4 cycle OB on my C25. I just used it on a 300 mile trip (mostly in the ICW) but it ran flawlessly and probably produces about the same push as the diesel and a whole lot easier to service or replace if it should die.

You are totally right, if I do my part and don’t do anything stupid relative to the weather, I will probably be ok with my refitted C25. It’s just that weather changes awfully fast in my area of the GOM and squalls that don’t show up on the forecast one day can be in your face the next.

Thanks again for your help!
Tom
Old 21-07-2020, 08:25   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Did you say the CD 25 has diesel power? I’m under the impression that the CD 25 had an outboard well behind the cockpit but the CD 25D had a diesel inboard. Here is an article from Practical Sailor comparing the two.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...ory-25-and-25d
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 08:48   #5

If you want a good stable platform for further away from land then the CD would be a good choice. Having the diesel is also much nicer. Of course your Catalina could do it too. Having the inboard engine would flip me over to the CD. The Catalina will be faster in light air.
If changing boats one wonders if you would be better to go to the CD 27 or even 30. But the main advantage is speed.

The older style CD25 is a fairly narrow "old school" boat though. Have you been aboard? Does it feel smaller? It also has a much shorter waterline than the Catalina. Like 4ft I think...?

Thinking about that now... Not sure it's worth the trouble to change boats.

The Cat 25 is a popular boat, you might be able to sell and buy a CD27.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 14:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Did you say the CD 25 has diesel power? I’m under the impression that the CD 25 had an outboard well behind the cockpit but the CD 25D had a diesel inboard. Here is an article from Practical Sailor comparing the two.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...ory-25-and-25d
You are right of course. I just got my wires crossed with the CD25D that I really wanted, but not holding my breath to find.🤢
Old 21-07-2020, 14:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you want a good stable platform for further away from land then the CD would be a good choice. Having the diesel is also much nicer. Of course your Catalina could do it too. Having the inboard engine would flip me over to the CD. The Catalina will be faster in light air.
If changing boats one wonders if you would be better to go to the CD 27 or even 30. But the main advantage is speed.

The older style CD25 is a fairly narrow "old school" boat though. Have you been aboard? Does it feel smaller? It also has a much shorter waterline than the Catalina. Like 4ft I think...?

Thinking about that now... Not sure it's worth the trouble to change boats.

The Cat 25 is a popular boat, you might be able to sell and buy a CD27.

The head in the 25D is another feature I like.

The larger boat makes sense except I’m pushing my ability to sail single handed. I was looking at a Pearson 303 with a fairly new refit but two things concerned me 1) it’s physical size 2) the cockpit is small with the wheel steering and 3) the draft with the fin keel is a bit long for my current slip.
Old 21-07-2020, 14:57   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I’ve always been a fan of the Cape Dory boats, particularly the Albert designs. I had a Typhoon weekender that I loved. I was never a fan of outboards in wells though.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 15:15   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 37

Cape Ddory is far better built boat.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 21:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I’ve always been a fan of the Cape Dory boats, particularly the Albert designs. I had a Typhoon weekender that I loved. I was never a fan of outboards in wells though.
I know what you mean and to add to the problem, a large enough 4 stroke outboard won’t fit in the CD25.

I’ve read the well can’t be modified to fit a 4 stroke 10hp. It takes 10hp to get the C25 anywhere near hull speed and I would presume the CD25 would also need about the same.
Old 22-07-2020, 09:22   #11

CD 25D. The suggestion to look at the CD 27 is a good one. I have one and still single hand it (and I am well into my senior years). The 8hp Yanmar one lunger pushes it along quite nicely. I chose it over the CD25 because of the standing headroom -- the extra room in the cabin is nice for short cruises and the extra displacement compared to the CD25 makes it very stable. Very well built, as you know. Check the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association website -- there are always CDs of all sizes for sale.
jfischgrund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 09:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfischgrund View Post
CD 25D. The suggestion to look at the CD 27 is a good one. I have one and still single hand it (and I am well into my senior years). The 8hp Yanmar one lunger pushes it along quite nicely. I chose it over the CD25 because of the standing headroom -- the extra room in the cabin is nice for short cruises and the extra displacement compared to the CD25 makes it very stable. Very well built, as you know. Check the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association website -- there are always CDs of all sizes for sale.
Yeah, the CD-27, which are abundant, is closer to the Catalina 25 in waterline length.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 09:26   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the CD 25 or 27 would take you offshore and would be safer in bad weather than the Catalina IMHO. also has more headroom below.
Old 22-07-2020, 10:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
the CD 25 or 27 would take you offshore and would be safer in bad weather than the Catalina IMHO. also has more headroom below.

Thanks all!!
I’ll take a hard look at the CD27. I hope it’s easier to locate than the 25D.☹️

I appreciate the help.
Old 22-07-2020, 10:34   #15

Boat: Bristol 27

There was a CD25 next to me in the yard a year or so ago.

You can see the outboard in the well in the photo.

I may have another photo showing more of it I can post later. The owner did a great job on the boat and also built a hard dodger for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27rev.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	219774  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, catalina