Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 13:32   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Cast a vote on three boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Okay, this seems a little over the top to me. I have a full keel and skeg hung rudder, but C&Cs are a very proven design. If somebody said to me they'd do a straight trade for a 40 + C&C for my fantasia 35, I would seriously consider the offer.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Its not going to happen

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 13:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Okay, this seems a little over the top to me. I have a full keel and skeg hung rudder, but C&Cs are a very proven design. If somebody said to me they'd do a straight trade for a 40 + C&C for my fantasia 35, I would seriously consider the offer.

This is true - last years Vic-Maui had a C&C 41 and a 44 - it was the 44's 9th Vic-Maui I believe.

But I would love more one line opinions from people please on which one they would choose.
kabball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 13:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Its not going to happen

Of course it isn't, but I'm accepting offers

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 13:56   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

I vote the 44 because I like the layout of that one. I learned to sail on a C&C 37 and while it was fast I would never own one (too cramped inside and always wanted to sail at 25-30 degrees heel where I could put my hand in the water while at the helm).

But if it were really my choice and I couldn't decide I would get the one in the best condition!
Old 28-01-2015, 13:58   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

The 37+ was a proven hull with a great racer/ cruiser heritage, I've sailed on one and they have great manners and sailing feel. Rugged and well built.
I believe the 41 had a deeper keel than the 37 so it might be part of the consideration, the 44 I have no experience with so won't comment.
It all depends on where you plan to go.
THe rudders on C&C's don't bother me since I can't remember any failures I've heard of over the years and they were a popular make in my neck of the woods. Did look at a 41 insurance salvage with the keel partially ripped out when it hit a rock at full speed, but the owner was still able to save it. The keel bolts held though.
Had a 38 because I couldn't afford a 37+, which at that time still had a fair resale market.
Check out the specs on one of the boat spec sights.
Is there a spouse involved with your cruising plans? If so, size matters.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 14:15   #21

I am also looking at these models. I love the looks of all three! All three are fast and set up as racer/ cruiser, so there is limitations on water, diesel, holding tanks. The 44 would be a handful for the two of us. But doable. The 41 is fast and great for two people to manage. I love the 37+. It's newer than the other two, and was away ahead of its time in design and construction.
They are still good performance boats, at reasonable price, and you can set them up to comer table cruise.
They would be good on both coasts of America, as well as the Great Lakes!
I would take any one of the three in a heart beat!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ChamJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 14:21   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabball View Post
I wanted to gather a few votes from everyones experience.

There are three boats and I don't want you to worry about how many people, what type of cruising or any of that.
Howdy!

My statements below are offered in a truly friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you. I know it is not what you are asking for, but that is part of the reason I hope it helps you or others.

You wrote above to NOT "worry about how many people, what type of cruising…" and yet those are the kinds of things that one should consider when choosing a boat.

The boat I would pick would be the best suited for the TYPE of sailing I want to do, AND for the SIZE of the crew and their abilities (mine included) AND the places or locations where I want to sail.

If I am sailing in a protected water (bay or lake) "round the bouys" club cruiser-racer, with a full crew of strong young men (or women), I can handle a larger boat with more aggressive sailing. The interior would not be as important, and the "comfort" of the boat would not either. I would want a faster boat to win. Even if this is considered a "cruiser-racer." Tankage would not be as important etc.

On the other hand, if I am sailing with a mature wife (50+ years age), who is likely smaller and not quite as physically strong as me (and I am over 50), I would want a boat that is designed for safety, comfort, and has the kind of interior that would appeal to her for long term cruising. I would look for a boat she can comfortably sail singlehanded WITHOUT me (in case I am incapacitated somehow).

If I had children with us, I would want a boat that is optimum for a family to comfortably live/sail on.

If I planned on a "round the world" voyage with just two people (me and spouse) then I would look for a boat optimized for that AND US (our skills/experience).

Those are just a few examples of different things that would matter to me when choosing ANY boat.

Since we all have differences of opinion, experience, preferences, and budgets, I think it is much more useful to have the potential buyer state what THEY like about those boats.

My suggestion: Make clear to the forum what YOU like about them as you see them (as a potential buyer). State the preferences YOU have felt already. Give YOUR impressions. Then ask for the forum members to offer additional observations or questions based on YOUR stated preferences/needs/wants.

To simply put up three boats (with no details) and ask strangers to pick one, without considering carefully the future TYPE of sailing to be done, the LOCATION the boat will be sailed, the CREW who will be sailing it, and several other things, well….that just seems to be asking for any response, rather than ones that may fit your situation.

Put more simply, I think you are not giving enough information for others to really help you in the best way possible.

I hope these comments help you or others.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 14:41   #23

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy!

My statements below are offered in a truly friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you. I know it is not what you are asking for, but that is part of the reason I hope it helps you or others.

You wrote above to NOT "worry about how many people, what type of cruising…" and yet those are the kinds of things that one should consider when choosing a boat.

The boat I would pick would be the best suited for the TYPE of sailing I want to do, AND for the SIZE of the crew and their abilities (mine included) AND the places or locations where I want to sail.

If I am sailing in a protected water (bay or lake) "round the bouys" club cruiser-racer, with a full crew of strong young men (or women), I can handle a larger boat with more aggressive sailing. The interior would not be as important, and the "comfort" of the boat would not either. I would want a faster boat to win. Even if this is considered a "cruiser-racer." Tankage would not be as important etc.

On the other hand, if I am sailing with a mature wife (50+ years age), who is likely smaller and not quite as physically strong as me (and I am over 50), I would want a boat that is designed for safety, comfort, and has the kind of interior that would appeal to her for long term cruising. I would look for a boat she can comfortably sail singlehanded WITHOUT me (in case I am incapacitated somehow).

If I had children with us, I would want a boat that is optimum for a family to comfortably live/sail on.

If I planned on a "round the world" voyage with just two people (me and spouse) then I would look for a boat optimized for that AND US (our skills/experience).

Those are just a few examples of different things that would matter to me when choosing ANY boat.

Since we all have differences of opinion, experience, preferences, and budgets, I think it is much more useful to have the potential buyer state what THEY like about those boats.

My suggestion: Make clear to the forum what YOU like about them as you see them (as a potential buyer). State the preferences YOU have felt already. Give YOUR impressions. Then ask for the forum members to offer additional observations or questions based on YOUR stated preferences/needs/wants.

To simply put up three boats (with no details) and ask strangers to pick one, without considering carefully the future TYPE of sailing to be done, the LOCATION the boat will be sailed, the CREW who will be sailing it, and several other things, well….that just seems to be asking for any response, rather than ones that may fit your situation.

Put more simply, I think you are not giving enough information for others to really help you in the best way possible.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 14:42   #24

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

I never can understand this type of thread because the perfect boat for me may very well be the worst boat possible for you. As someone else has already suggested, buy the shortest boat that you can possibly be comfortable on because all your expenses will vary as the square of the length. IOW, twice as long means 4X as expensive to operate.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 15:02   #25

Boat: Seafarer 38

Just out of curiosity..why C&C?
7yrsorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 15:11   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I vote the 44 because I like the layout of that one. I learned to sail on a C&C 37 and while it was fast I would never own one (too cramped inside and always wanted to sail at 25-30 degrees heel where I could put my hand in the water while at the helm).

But if it were really my choice and I couldn't decide I would get the one in the best condition!
Thanks - sounds like your talking about about the older C&C 37 not the 37/40+?
Old 28-01-2015, 15:12   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
The 37+ was a proven hull with a great racer/ cruiser heritage, I've sailed on one and they have great manners and sailing feel. Rugged and well built.
I believe the 41 had a deeper keel than the 37 so it might be part of the consideration, the 44 I have no experience with so won't comment.
It all depends on where you plan to go.
THe rudders on C&C's don't bother me since I can't remember any failures I've heard of over the years and they were a popular make in my neck of the woods. Did look at a 41 insurance salvage with the keel partially ripped out when it hit a rock at full speed, but the owner was still able to save it. The keel bolts held though.
Had a 38 because I couldn't afford a 37+, which at that time still had a fair resale market.
Check out the specs on one of the boat spec sights.
Is there a spouse involved with your cruising plans? If so, size matters.
Thanks for your comments - I do wonder if the 37/40 has an advantage being since its a little new design and has the Kevlar reinforced hull - does this also mean its not as prone to blisters as the others?
Old 28-01-2015, 15:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamJam View Post
I am also looking at these models. I love the looks of all three! All three are fast and set up as racer/ cruiser, so there is limitations on water, diesel, holding tanks. The 44 would be a handful for the two of us. But doable. The 41 is fast and great for two people to manage. I love the 37+. It's newer than the other two, and was away ahead of its time in design and construction.
They are still good performance boats, at reasonable price, and you can set them up to comer table cruise.
They would be good on both coasts of America, as well as the Great Lakes!
I would take any one of the three in a heart beat!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks.
Old 28-01-2015, 15:17   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy!

Hi Steady,

Look I agree but the reason I stated to not worry about those things is so that we could really simplify the conversation. Essentially I feel I have done my research.

1) I do know who I will be sailing with
2) I do know the type of cruising I will be doing
3) I do know where I will be cruising.

With that in mind I simply was hoping I could get some people to vote as many have with.

"The 37/40+ cause of the more modern hull construction"

and so on - the rest I feel I know and have decided on so I can save everyone the time and effort from expressing those things.
Old 28-01-2015, 15:19   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
I never can understand this type of thread because the perfect boat for me may very well be the worst boat possible for you. As someone else has already suggested, buy the shortest boat that you can possibly be comfortable on because all your expenses will vary as the square of the length. IOW, twice as long means 4X as expensive to operate.
Well for me just what you said is valuable and worth considering - that is the purpose of the thread.

Someone else might say - "I use to own a 41 and my friend had the 37+ - go with the 37+ for X reasons"

Valuable intel from my perspective.