Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 19:23   #1

Boat: Steel Benford 30 Custom Pilothouse Junk Rigged
Cashed in all of our Kharma points

This post is a long time coming and for that I am sorry.

As some of you may remember, I was on here looking for the next live aboard for my girlfriend and I. We had traveled to Mexico chasing what we thought was the Westsail of our dreams only to have that dream rot away like all of Rita's bulkheads.

We then traveled to my parents place on the east coast and thought about the canal or even Good Hope. However, we began to miss our favorite ocean.

The trip in the Pacific Northwest was beautiful as we lived in the back of our rented Yaris. There were some good boats and some that used to be good boats. We thought real hard on a few of those boats. We lived aboard our friends Tayana 41 and as we ground the old fiberglass out of her head we felt the pull towards our own boat again.

Finally, someone called about our Catalina 27 and it was back home we strode. As we sold our home we revamped our search and figured it was back to Washington we would have to go. Living with Jen's mom wasn't bad but she lives to far from our world.

As we walked the dock after cleaning out Storm, we ran across all the same boats that have been for sale for what seems our entire sailing career. We looked at an Endurance 35, a CT41 etc etc. We made some offers but couldn't fit the right deal. And we continued to walk past the boat that would soon, unbeknownst to us, be our new home.

For sale through the local broker was a Valiant 40 that had been on the market for 6 years. We would always stop in front of this boat and dream but in the end we would always walk away with an excuse like "oh she's much too big" or "I don't like the idea of wheel steering" or "oh where can we find the $90K being asked for this boat anyway?".

So one day, talking with a friend whom is secretly employed by these brokers, he informed us he heard a rumor that there was an offer in our ballpark that was accepted, but in the end the guy couldn't get the bank note. We hemmed and hawed and finally decided maybe its worth being laughed at (our self esteem couldn't be much lower anyhow). We tried to contact the brokers.. and tried.. and tried. After about 3 weeks of not having our questions answered we went to the harbormaster and got the owners home address. We heard back 2 days after sending the snail mail and were allowed to go aboard. We ran back to Seward to take a look. She was a bit dingy from sitting but gorgeous and well equipped. She looked like a place we could live (a little more spacious than a Catalina 27 anyhow) but still that nagging price tag.

So finally we hear from the brokers; "would you like to make an offer on Starship? And do not contact the owner again; we are looking out for everyone's best interest" mhmm.

Anyways we decided to go along with the broker even though we weren't happy with her. We laid our offer on the table, heard the laughter and thought that was all. However, we didn't want to make the owner feel insulted so we gave him a call a few days later. Turns out he was very excited to hear we made an offer, even though the broker didn't tell him. He said it was lower than he would like but he could do owner financing and would love to see it go to a loving couple. We settled on a number ($38K) and thought we were soon to be the owners of a Valiant.

A few hours later we get a call from the owner sounding slightly distressed. He tells us the boat has been hauled for an inspection by another interested party, and if we were interested we would go see it. He then also told us if we were interested we could have her for 30K. The 2 of looked at each other and said after 6 years someone is interested? In November in Alaska during a snowstorm? Why is he offering it to us for less than we agreed to?

So into the car we jumped and only nearly went into the ditch once or twice. Just before getting to town the broker gives us a call. "So i hear you're still interested in Starship?" "Yes" "Well we thought you weren't anymore, and thought its such a great boat that we ought to buy it for ourselves". Silence came from our end as the confusion deepened between Jen and myself. "Well the boat is out of the water if you'd like to see it, but i think we will be buying the boat today."

So 15 minutes later, the brokers office was stormed as all of our emotions towards them came out. Another 15 minutes went by, a few papers signed, a check passed over the table and we were then the owners of a new to us 1978 Valiant 40 (which they hauled, pressure washed, had a full survey done, and zincs replaced free of charge) for $30K. We scheduled her to be splashed the following day and moved aboard.

Jen and I have now been aboard her since mid-November and have had a blast figuring out what a great boat she has been. The previous owner (also the only owner) has been a wealth of knowledge and so friendly. I really thought i would have lots of projects this winter but in fact she's in amazing shape!

I think I have already posted much more than most will read. To any of you who make it this far thanks for reading and I promise to get some of our adventures and pictures posted soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	98290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	98291  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04247.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	98292  
jjlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 19:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Cashed in all of our Kharma points

Jeez - A broker that needs to be kicked in the a$$ for sure and likely sued - What a crook! I wonder how many offers were not passed along to the owner because the broker was holding out for higher commissions and the boat costs were being shouldered by the owner.

And "I am gonna buy the boat?" I thought that was illegal for a broker to do. what a snake pit.

Anyway many congrats on the boat - well done!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 19:50   #3

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

What a great boat. May you have gentle seas and a warm breeze at your back.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 19:55   #4

Thanks guys! The brokers in our town are not known for their service. Unfortunately they are "THE sailboat broker in AK". I guess if anyone wanted to start up a brokerage here in Alaska the competition wouldn't be hard (hint hint)
Old 03-03-2015, 20:03   #5

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

My guess is if they bought it for $38k the owner would have got $30k after the broker fee (often times there is a minimum, it's not just a %), and the owner was pissed at the broker and got them to waive their fee, giving you a deal.

Why else would somebody give up $8k?

Sometimes it's not about the money... it's about putting your boat into the hands of somebody who will take care of her and take her on new adventures. Fair winds and following seas.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 20:53   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

All choked up to hear of your excellent good fortune. Don't look back, and never trust a broker.

Ann
Old 04-03-2015, 08:49   #7

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Congratulations. What a beautiful boat, I love those.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:56   #8

Boat: Present 38 trunk deck trawler

Congratulations! The Valiant 40 is a great boat. Bon Voyage.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:06   #9

What a deal... watch your karma debt!
I believe '78 is prior to the layup/glass problems too right?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:23   #10

Thanks everyone. We are realizing what a great boat she is. New Sails, rigging, Westerbeke, windlass just before Starship was laid for sale.

She unfortunately was built during Uniflite's experimental bottom jobs, however, she was hauled out for nearly a year, blasted down to her glass and got a brand new bottom.

I hope we haven't gone into too much karma debt. We are accepting payments on our Catalina 27 (with no interest). Maybe that will keep us from going to far into the red.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:53   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlyons View Post
I think I have already posted much more than most will read. To any of you who make it this far thanks for reading and I promise to get some of our adventures and pictures posted soon.
I read, and enjoyed, every word. And I am so very happy for you that the deal went through for you and that you have a beautiful new home and cruising boat. Loved the picture of you two, by the way, the happiness is obvious.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:40   #12

Boat: IRWIN CITATION 34

Enjoyable read. I will splash my "new to me" Irwin 34 in May. Fun times ahead for both us I expect. Enjoy!!
bob mundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:48   #13

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Great story.

Fair winds!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:48   #14

CONGRATULATIONS.

We looked for a year to find our "dream boat" and saw some really ugly samples of neglect and misuse. Scary.

Keelhaul the damn broker. Better yet, forget it!!!

You did great, you actually INCREASED your karma points by being "the great folks" the PO was looking for.

What a great story, thanks for sharing.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:50   #15

Boat: solaris 42 1978

been there done that .. the first boat i tried to buy here in panama was listed at 70,000 .. i had 35,000 .. the phone number on the boat was a Colombian called gus ,, he assured me no way they would take that for the boat,, his comment was if they would take that for it he would buy it himself ,, after not hearing back for a few days we went to the marina and got the boat owners phone number and made the offer ,, he informed us the " broker "? had found a cash buyer for 35,000 and they were in the process of making the deal ,, i made it a point to tell gus what i thought of him to his face and to anyone that would listen what i thought of him ,, still doing it 12 years later ,,
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote