Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.46 average. Display Modes
Old 20-02-2011, 18:10   #1

Boat: carter passage 33 Freeway
Carter Passage 33

Hi all

Im new to this site and have owned my Carter passage for 2 years now. love the boat great fast cruiser.
What im wondering is if anyone has any information on these boats dont seem to be a lot of info on them. just a reminder the Carter passage is the centre cockpit version. believe Dick carter designed only seem to be able to find ones built in Australia dont know if these were built world wide or only here in Aus.
any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Outerwater.
outerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 18:27   #2
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Re: Carter Passage 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerwater View Post
Hi all

Im new to this site and have owned my Carter passage for 2 years now. love the boat great fast cruiser.
What im wondering is if anyone has any information on these boats dont seem to be a lot of info on them. just a reminder the Carter passage is the centre cockpit version. believe Dick carter designed only seem to be able to find ones built in Australia dont know if these were built world wide or only here in Aus.
any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Outerwater.
Great boats. My parents owned a Carter 33, the IOR 3/4 tone version, it was a long time back now, but as I remember Dick Carter was an American, don't know where in America though. I know for a fact some were produced in North America and the UK, I'm not sure what happened to the moulds for them up there, but never really caught on, last I heard they are still being produced down here.
If I remember hearing right at some point Bob Perry was part of the design team for Carter yachts, he's on this forum maybe he can shed more light?
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 06:36   #3

Hey there,

I'm in a Carter 33 (not a centre cockpit though). My understanding is that Carters were built in Greece and then bought out by a Swedish company. I'll look into it when i'm home. But because it's a european boat you don't find many in the Americas. Apparently they are still popular in Europe though. I'm mostly guess about this so i'd appreciate any corrections.
Old 21-02-2011, 07:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Carter Passage 33

I owned a Carter 30 and that was built in Poland... so go figure... they did not really catch on that well in the various countries that had a go...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 10:00   #5
cruiser

I worked for Dick Carter in Nahant, Mass. I don't know that 3 Passage model though.
Carter boats were mainly built in Greece but some Carter 30's were built in Poland and Japan. Dick had problems working in Poland and moved the tooling to Japan.
Could you post a pic of the boat. I find it odd that I don't recognize the name after being there a year.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 16:22   #6
JJB

In the early 80's there were both Carter 30 and 33 moulds in Sydney, a builder in Blacktown, that built the 30's plus one other that built the 33's, my parents 33 was built in Sydney, but I am not sure exactly by who, it wasn't an import from anywhere, I know most Passage 33's were also built in Sydney, I will be talking to my parents again in the next couple of days, I will ask if they remember the name of the builder of the 33.
As I remember, the Passage 33 was produced at mostly the same time as the Joe Adams design Mottle 33.
Old 21-02-2011, 16:51   #7

Boat: Peterson/Formosa 46 "Hoopoe III"

sailboatdata.com/view_designer.asp?designer_id=143

Carter designs on Sailboatdata.com
zoombats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 23:06   #8
JJB

Well I spoke to dad today, he told me what he knew, anyhow the Carter 33 was produced by a builder in Blacktown in Sydney's western suburbs, the name of the gentleman was Allen, he couldn't remember the company name nor surname but did mention to me that they were a group of 5 men building them, they apparently produced them up until 1988 before they closed down for whatever reason.
The Passage 33 used the same hull design as the Carter 33, but used a different deck design that was modified by Graham Wallicker (might me Wollicker) to encompass the aft cabin.
The Carter 30 was produced by a company in Mona Vale on Sydney's northern beaches called Southern Cross marine they went belly up in 1985, but sadly they had a rep of shoddy workmanship, I'm told the owner of Southern Cross was Jim Boise. Many of the 30's they produced leaked around the keel, they always seemed reluctant to rectify the problem.

It seems Bill Barry Cotter purchased the moulds from overseas and imported them sometime in the late seventies, it also seems there were more than one set of moulds for the 30 and 33.
Old 24-02-2011, 19:13   #9

Boat: carter passage 33 Freeway

Thanks everyone for the added information,i believe my model of carter is different to that of the european models found in Greece i think they are carter olympics and are slightly different and about 10-15 years older as well.
happy sailing to all and thankyou.
outerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:49   #10

I own a Carter 30, built in Itchenor, England in 1975. O.N. 364492. I went to a bit of trouble calling the owners of the company that is reported to have taken over the original builders business to find out some of the boats history. Apparently not many left that were built in England. The lady/girl on the phone tells me that they did not build the boat. Probably too old for her memory to come to grips with?? Emailed with a lady in Greece that had a similar looking Carter, but built in Europe, and she called it a 33.
Mine seems to be fairly well built boat, still together after all these years, and sails well. Always interested in hearing news about any of the Carter Family's history. Thanks
wimpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 10:59   #11
cruiser

The Carter 33 preceeded the Carter 30 and as I recall it was built in England. Pretty little boat.
Old 19-03-2011, 21:03   #12

We have had ours for a few years now.

The marina owner describes ours as "the most original yacht in the marina without there being one original bit left on it."

I think that he is complimenting us on the restoration project.

Wonderful boat to sail.

Built in Newcastle (NSW, Australia) 1987
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	25232   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	25233  

Get-a-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 09:30   #13
cruiser

Life:
Thanks for posting the pics. I have been wondering what the Passage looked like.
It's a fine looking yacht. I have never seen one before.
Old 20-03-2011, 11:33   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to ProtectTheOcean

Very nice lines on this vessel.

Care to share more about the Carter 30? There's one that a guy has put a dive compressor in, but the pictures don't really show much and it's in Panama right now.

Thanks!
ProtectTheOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 11:39   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Carter Passage 33

The 30's exactly the same lines... just lose's out in the forecabin...
that 3ft less makes the berth a bit cramped if over 5'9"....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote