Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 04:08   #1

cape dory 36

looking at a cape dory 36, pros and cons? owned an irwin 34 years ago, not the most experienced sailor and plan on doing the east coast, thanks for any ideas and comments
frogmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
These boats run the entire spectrum. Some are some of the most beautiful boats you have ever seen. Carl Alberg designed a lot of nice looking boats and a Cape Dorry has a lot of the traditional look many people like. They clean up well.

I think it comes down to the condition of the boat and all the components. They were built well and can carry a lot of stuff and have sufficient tanks to go for a while. The basics on this boat would make them a good choice for going away for a a while. It does come down to the actual boat condition. After this many years what they were is less important than what they are. I would look for the best one available and negotiate the best deal.

If you check out the Cape Dory Owners groups you'll find out why they like them.

CDSOA, Inc. -- Owners Web Sites

Owners groups will tell you all the bad stuff and why all the good stuff out weighs the bad. They also know all the thing s that need to be fixed.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:44   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
You want to completey ignore them. Stay away.. don't buy one. Wel.. not until after I find the one I want and buy it.

I keep looking and trying to justify the purchase. They are drop dead gorgous boats, and hopefully I will be more serious about buying one in the next year or two (and hopefully a good one will be available when I am ready).
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:08   #4

I will try and remember the drinking song, I already have a line on one and it is on the hard to get a good look. I have been cruising the owners website for awhile also, so I feel fairly well informed. I was just looking through this forum and joining seemed worthwhile. The info relayed through this site is great. Thanks
frogmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory