Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 12:47   #46

Boat: Paceship 29
Re: Canadian Considering Boat in Sint Maarten

I'm glad you didn't buy it. You could have lost everything.
Don't register it in Canada, it will never get here.
Down south, rent, and never buy.

I know of a Corbin 39 in Grenada where you could get half of it for free,
if it gets to Montreal.
sony2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:28   #47

Boat: Albin Vega

What do you mean "it will never get here"? I want to cruise the BC coast and the great lakes also. I'm also dead set on an Albin Vega.

Looks like it'll be infinitely easier to just go to Europe next winter and buy one there. Cheaper and in better "nick" as they say ��
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 17:01   #48

Boat: Paceship 29

Here is a nice Vega. http://www.lespucesnautiques.com/a.
Then sail it to Europe.
sony2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 17:20   #49

Boat: Cross 39

I think Sony was referring to this:

Albin Vega , 27 ft, Elvire
Seagirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:08   #50

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
What do you mean "it will never get here"? I want to cruise the BC coast and the great lakes also. I'm also dead set on an Albin Vega.

Looks like it'll be infinitely easier to just go to Europe next winter and buy one there. Cheaper and in better "nick" as they say ��
Wait... You want to buy a Albin Vega in St. Martin (or Europe) and sail it up to BC? I'm not sure your sailing experience.. but DAMN.. That would be one hell of a trip. Of course possible, just long and difficult! Not something I would want to tackle.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:04   #51

I want to go EVERYWHERE my friend! ��

Not much experience yet but that'll change.

Probably will only go for 6 months at a time and then return to work to replenish my funds, time will tell.

I'm certainly not going to rush back to BC.
Old 08-04-2017, 14:46   #52

Quote:
I want to go EVERYWHERE my friend! ��

Not much experience yet but that'll change.

Probably will only go for 6 months at a time and then return to work to replenish my funds, time will tell.

I'm certainly not going to rush back to BC.

As someone who came out here and did it with zero experience (seriously our first passage was 320nm and we had The Sailing Bible open on the table), I'm pulling for ya. Its possible and the rewards are wonderful..

However, I really encourage you to seek out "real" advice. CF is fine while dreaming, but all the A+ advice I got was from the actual mouths of cruisers (either sitting with them, or on the phone). Blogs and CF do not paint an accurate picture of what it is really like, or how difficult it really can be (don't get me started on YouTube series). Believe me, it sounds so romantic when you are back in cold Canada working. Once you are out here lots of the romance will wear off (I know you don't believe me). Sand, sun and adventure aren't as romantic when you find them everywhere.

A Vega is a great boat for a plan like yours (6 months cruising, 6 months working). However, be aware that even a Vega will suffer from being left alone for 6 months. Don't make a mistake like me and underestimate how much it will suffer. Simple systems and proper procedure before layup will help immensely with this.

Another thing is budget.. While blogs and CF can give you a very rough idea, you need to make your own. Money is a touchy subject and everyone is sensitive. I won't post our budget for our family of 5 here, but I will say CF is WAY off on our budget here in the Caribbean. You need to get out here, figure out what kind of cruising you want to do and have a budget that fits that!

Anyway.. Remember one thing... "HAVE FUN"... If you not having fun, make changes so you are. There is no right way to cruise. Just the way that makes you happy!
Old 09-04-2017, 05:35   #53

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
....... Judging by the response from my friends there will be no shortage of people who can hold a tiller if I get this thing, haha. Big shocker there
"no shortage of people who can hold a tiller" In the middle of the night in the middle of a force 9 blow ???
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:39   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
"no shortage of people who can hold a tiller" In the middle of the night in the middle of a force 9 blow ???

Call that commensurate effort.

Why would you even post such a question?
Old 09-04-2017, 08:13   #55

Quote:

Call that commensurate effort.

Why would you even post such a question?
This is kinda what I mean about CF.. Not a great way to put it, however he has a point. If you plan on crewing your boat with friends you are in for a BIG surprise (even if they have experience).

I think a great option for you would be to find a boat to crew on. Do this before you walk down the path of buying a boat. I promise you will learn more in 2 weeks crewing for someone than you will learn in 5 years reading blogs or CF. You will be much better equipped to continue on your boat search.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:17   #56

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Judging by the response from my friends there will be no shortage of people who can hold a tiller if I get this thing, haha. Big shocker there
Oh yes...everyone is super helpful, until you actually ask them to hold the tiller.

From my experience, guests are only interested in holding something liquid with ice cubes in it.

I suppose the question becomes...are they guests, or crew? Its seems to me that everyone is crew, until you ask them to do something...and presto...instant guest.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 17:29   #57

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Wait... You want to buy a Albin Vega in St. Martin (or Europe) and sail it up to BC? I'm not sure your sailing experience.. but DAMN.. That would be one hell of a trip. Of course possible, just long and difficult! Not something I would want to tackle.
"Long"? Could be done from St-Martin to Vancouver in 4 to 6 months... I've done it before in one year but I'm trying to negotiate it with my woman who can't join me for the trip...
"Difficult" ? Less than some coastal cruisings: I sailed from Grenada to Panama, Marquesas, Tuamotou, Tahiti, Moorea, Hawaii, Vancouver... The last two legs lasted 21 days each, a coincidence. I was sailing a heavy displacement 6 metric tons 31 footer You just have to be prudent as always & to remember that most of the time the coast is the danger, not offshore when you have all the room you need around you to take the proper action! Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QueneahGwen_01.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	145014   Click image for larger version

Name:	QueneahGwen_22.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	145015  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 17:01   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
This is kinda what I mean about CF.. Not a great way to put it, however he has a point. If you plan on crewing your boat with friends you are in for a BIG surprise (even if they have experience).

I think a great option for you would be to find a boat to crew on. Do this before you walk down the path of buying a boat. I promise you will learn more in 2 weeks crewing for someone than you will learn in 5 years reading blogs or CF. You will be much better equipped to continue on your boat search.
Hey! Loved hearing about your first experiences, that's quite an introduction!

Because I am so tall and pretty picky about who I spend time with in close quarters I think my crewing shall be limited to courses and even then I will likely take those on my own boat.

I've actually owned a sailboat before, you are right, one can learn a lot from that that will take forever to figure out on CF. Glad I learned those lessons before, it's what has me dead set on the Vega (primarily because it's a tough little bugger) and seakindly.

I'm already counting down the weeks 'til I can jet off to wherever there's an agreeable boat for sale and get going on a proper cruise
Old 10-04-2017, 17:09   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony2000 View Post
Here is a nice Vega. http://www.lespucesnautiques.com/a.
Then sail it to Europe.
Wow! I like the hull but that outboard engine would have to go. I could see that getting ripped off in a storm easily, no matter, my french is attrocious; nowhere near good enough to purchase a boat. How does one say "Standing rigging" and "through hulls" in French? Haha, I should learn, it's likely to come up. Either way, that's not one I'm going to rush out to see. Looks more suitable to calmer conditions without some pricey upgrades.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:09   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... How does one say "Standing rigging" and "through hulls" in French? ...
Page 213 ➥ FRENCH FOR CRUISERS HOME PAGE - Book Features, Reviews, Sample Pages, Sales Info - (ISBN 0-9675905-1-5)

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat