Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2011, 18:36   #1

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39
Canadian-Built Bluewater Boats ? Headroom ?

Hi:

I am in the early stages of identifying candidates for my bluewater boat.

I have a foot high stack of books that mention many possibilities in the American realm, but what is lacking is what a Canadian is likely to find close to home. What are bluewater candidates from Canadian names: C&C, Tanzer, CS, Mirage, Hughes, Grampian, Aloha, Nonsuch, Paceship, Bayfield, Niagara and whatever other names I have not stumbled upon.

I an aware that the Albergs have merit, and that the concensus seems to be that Grampians don't. As the Grampians seem to have figures of merit that fall into the bluewater range, it is unclear to me why people rule them out. Is it just an issue of build quality that doesn't show up in the engineering numbers?

The Corbin 39 looks reasonable, but rare and probably more boat than I want.

Another issue for me is headroom. I am 6'4", so likely I want ... 6'4". Finding headroom figures on old boats is hit and miss. sailboatdata.com is wonderful, but is missing this piece. Does one need the headroom? Or can one get by without it? Can one get by without it in his 60s (49 now, but planning ahead).

Finally a couple of specific boats. Douglas 32, Aloha 32 and Aloha 34. All these boats seem to have reasonable figures of merit for bluewater, at least to my level of current comprehension, but nowhere have I found any specific yea or nay.

I know that the Aloha 32 has 6'4" in the main cabin, and the 34 has 6'7"!! The Douglas is 6'2", but there are two available reasonably close for < $25K ask. One of them comes with a trailer, so presumably a local buddy with a F350 or similar could haul it home for me instead of having to pay a professional boat moving service. I wonder what is the largest boat an F350 can move?

So folks, what are your tips for a Canadian likely shopping for a Canadian bluewater boat?

Thank you for your assistance.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 18:51   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Canadian built bluewater boats? headroom?

Waterline if you aren't prejudiced against steel. Kanter yachts also in steel or aluminum.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 19:13   #3

Boat: CS36 Traditional
Re: Canadian-Built Bluewater Boats ? Headroom ?

I have a CS36 and previously had a Paceship 26. Both are well constructed boats. I wouldn't call the PY26 bluewater although I know there is at least one out there. I bought the CS with that intent.
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 19:14   #4

Boat: looking

Spencer. Spencer Yacht Owners Group ~ S.Y.O.G. | Official website of the boats built by Spencer Boats Ltd., Richmond, BC, Canada
Taylor-built Contessa 32.
Bayfield, Cooper, Whitby, Scepter...
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 19:21   #5

Boat: Spencer 1330 44' Ketch

It seems like whenever someone uses the term "Bluewater Boats" it starts a shouting match about what that term means.

You will have to make that decision yourself when you look at a boat if it fits your intended use.

If you look at enough boats, you will know what you want when you see it.

One manufacturer that was not on the list you posted was Spencer Yachts, made in Vancouver BC, and designed by John Brandelmier.

Hal Roth, and his wife Margret, sailed a 35' Spencer all over the world, and wrote books about it 20 years ago.

Do lots of looking, and good luck.
Horizon Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 19:28   #6

I have an Aloha 30, and while I wouldn't describe it as "Bluewater," it's a well-built boat. The 32s and 34s are downright gorgeous and people I know who have them wouldn't part with them very willingly so either would definitely be worth a look.
Gypsypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 19:32   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Sailboats in Canada - 30' to 42' models

Niagra
Hughes
Bayfield
Contessa
Ontario
Viking
Mirage
CS
Whitby
Hinterhoeller
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 20:19   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Niagara 35 (I have friends currently cruising one in the Carib, and Herb "God" Hilgenberg sailed one), Ontario 32, Niagara 42, Contessa 32, any Bruckmann, the Spencer 35 (was this a Hal Roth boat...somebody famous in boating had one in the '70s) the Vancouver 42, and maybe the Whitby 42, but it lurches to lee more than I like.

If you win a lottery, the Saga 43 or 48 or a Kanter Atlantic 45 in steel...

Also in steel are the Goderich 40s made by Huromic Metals and drawn by Brewer and Wallstrom. Go anywhere boats...and they have proven that.

Cap'n Fatty Goodlander swears by his Hughes 38, so it must have qualities I've never picked up on. Smaller Hughes are...too small.

The C&Cs are tough enough, but the hatches and portlights are weak for ocean, they are flat in spots leading to pounding, and they generally lack sufficient tankage and suffer from wet decks. (Not the Landfall line, mind you...they are nice, but priced that way.)

Not the Viking 33...I have one and the tankage is minimal. Good for the Carib, but otherwise a C&C "fast cruiser/club racer". Unlike some, I don't claim my little racer is good for anything but coastal/weekender/round the buoys, at which it excels.

The CS 40 and CS 36 are also good, but again, the ride is faster and lumpier than some might like, but there's no question they can take it.

That should get you started, eh?
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 21:35   #9

Boat: private yacht always moving

this one is in canada, i like the looks of it. The owner sent me some photos today, his wife does not come with the boat as of yet but am sure things are negotiable. (joke) I asked if his wife came with the boat and he said not as of yet.
The boat look in great shape and is in canada as we speak.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-64834.html

Length: 35 feet or 10.90 m / Width: 11 feet or 3.50 m / Draft: 6 feet or 1.80m
Weight: 9 tons / Mast height: 48 feet or 15 m

good luck, he responded in a day with the photos.

The boat is located in Vancouver, Canada. This looks to be a bluewater vessel. seems to come complete
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 22:39   #10

Boat: Niagara 35
Niagara 35 has lots of headroom and the classic interior is great as a couple's offshore cruiser. I'm 6'2" and fit fine. We love ours.
Old 27-07-2011, 00:40   #11

I own a hinterhoeller hr28 and think its the perfect sailboat for me...in fact I kept this boat and sold the island trader 41ft that I wanted to sail to Asia...the hr28 will easaly do the job and safer...last week I visited a grampian 26...the boat was built like a tank with solid chainplates and very strong keel bolts...in my opinion this boat is fit to travel the world...perhaps americans just dont know about this little tank?
an other good cdn sailboat is the columbia 26 then the c&c 35, redwing also by hinterhoaller...and if your handy thers a nice seaferer 29 with 6wheel trailer for $1800 on kijiji...
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 04:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Niagara 35 has lots of headroom and the classic interior is great as a couple's offshore cruiser. I'm 6'2" and fit fine. We love ours.
Thank you for this specific tip. There is one close that I think I will go see. I recall reading that Mark Ellis is (was?) tall, so I should probably just get a list of his boats off saildata.com.

Boulter
Old 27-07-2011, 04:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsypriest View Post
I have an Aloha 30, and while I wouldn't describe it as "Bluewater," it's a well-built boat. The 32s and 34s are downright gorgeous and people I know who have them wouldn't part with them very willingly so either would definitely be worth a look.
There is an Aloha 34 close, in Kingston iirc, so I should have a look then.

Thank you for the feedback.

Boulter
Old 27-07-2011, 04:44   #14

Hi:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

A number of you mentioned Spencer. Have not seen any around Ontario, but I ran across one in BC on yachtworld. I'll add it to the watch list. Anyone know the headroom on the 35?

Boulter
Old 27-07-2011, 04:57   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I don't know about the others, but have some limited experience on a Grampian 26 -- a truely horrible boat in any kind of wind or sea -- not seakindly in the least.

Tags
headroom