Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 10:36   #1

Boat: 2002 Bavaria 40
Can the Work My Boat Needs Wait?

I have just bought a 1981 39' Sailboat. It has been sitting for a couple of years without maintenance in Vancouver, Canada. Needless to say, the zincs for sure need to be done, and likely a coat of anti-fouling paint as well. We've had a diver scrape and pressure wash her from underneath to get the majority of the growth off. We're just getting the motor running and some electrical rewired, etc. Then the plan is to sail her down to the USA, in Washington. I'm wondering if it is safe/recommended to just get her running and sail her down there (about 7 or 8 hours) as the zincs/painting/haul out is MUCH cheaper there.... OR are these things so important that it wouldn't be a good idea to sail her for a day? Also, she doesn't have a holding tank which is required by law now. Does anyone know if you can take a boat across the border without a holding tank, with the intention of putting one in once in the USA?
sailprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 10:46   #2

Re: Can the Work My Boat Needs Wait?

You need to make sure the prop is clean for the trip. The bottom can wait. Of course make sure the bilge pumps etc work. It's an easy trip this time of year, but watch for fog, esp in the am...
As far as the holding tank, close the head thru hull fitting and ty wrap or wire it so that the CG can see that it is rendered inoperable. Maybe even put duct tape across the closed seat and write on it "do not use" if you are worried about it. make sure the motor is running well and you should be good to go. Not sure of your route but the wind whips up pretty good in the afternoon this time of year in the Straight of Juan de Fuca. 10-20 normal, but some days 25-35. So with a "strange to you" boat I would avoid those high wind days. It's a bit of a tradeoff.... wind in the afternoon and fog in the am!
PS: boats often have trouble if the fuel/fuel tanks havent been cleaned, have not been used with old fuel, and they get into choppy seas which stir up all the gunk in the fuel tank... then the filters get clogged while running and the engine quits. Your fuel filters should be clean when you start.... or you should know the condition of these things. Just a head's up on that so you know...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 11:47   #3

in re: fuel sediment clogging:

our QnD solution to that was to run a temporary line to jerry cans until we could get boat home and install inspection ports.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 12:23   #4

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

You are underestimating your transit time by almost 100%. Chechaco is correct about the winds in the afternoon. Check the tides and currents for your route, timing is important for both current and sea state.
Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 12:54   #5
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

bring a few extra fuel filters. i would do a daysail in a boat with a hole in it, lol.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 14:13   #6

I'm getting about 45-50 KM from Van to Bellingham plus distance to get out of Vancouver area. Not sure where you are headed. Much of that in the Straight of Georgia, which can get choppy in the afternoon for sure.... might be a great sail if you are ready for it! If you have working radar you could get much of the St of Geo part done early in the fog. Or I guess there are plenty of places to stop once and get done in two days.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote