Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average. Display Modes
Old 26-05-2011, 11:40   #376
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Can Jeanneau , Bavaria or Beneteau Be Good as Ocean Crossing Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Didn't mean to imply otherwise.
Sneuman: I think you would find that I am more conservative in terms of what I want in my next boat and what I am looking for, and I do gravitate toward the older line full keel and partial/skeg designs. It has more to do with my own patterns and less to do with the truth. For example, I don't like fin keels on boats because I am aversive to keel bolt degradation concerns. Nor spade rudders because of safety issues. I realize that this is unfounded in todays world and I respect the opinions of owners and designers who happily sail bye bye and are having a great sail experience in ALL weather. However, that doesn't mean my own patterns, perceptions, and tastes will change. It also doesn't mean I don't like bennies or fast racing boats, or secretly want them. But the bottom line is its a lot easier to put down your hard earned cash in something you already feel comfortable with and are attractive to.

It isn't all about the role of a skipper and what he can handle. I don't buy that aloof line. It also isn't about the structure of the boat. I don't buy that line either.

Albeit, if I ever had the cash, and I know I will never have it, my dream boat is a french centerboard alum or steel - ovni, boreal, cardoff. but realistically, we are looking at babas, valiants, and dare i say westsails etc. And the classical lines are heart beaters. But I also get a heart beater looking at the interior of a bennie and a nice chart table.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 11:41   #377
cruiser

OMG S/V Alchemy! Thats a @#&$(@&#$ awesome boat! To my tastes. I eat my WORDS about OVNIS!
Old 26-05-2011, 11:44   #378

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Hmmmmm this thread is like reading opinions on Wood v fiberglass v steel v aluminum..
Prepare chose your weather and pray, and you will have a good trip,,,, mine is homebuilt and she has gone 50k nm....

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 12:01   #379
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

SaltyMonkey -

Likewise, you might be surprised at my proclivities. I have raced, but never won. I still enjoy a fast boat. I have cruised, but not circumnavigated -- but once through a typhoon in a 28' boat. All of that makes me far from expert in anything, including heavy weather (which I am constantly re-thinking should I ever find myself in real s#%! again). What is it they say about sailing? You can learn in an afternoon and spend the rest of your life perfecting it ...

Much to the chagrin of multihull folks when the subject turns in that direction, I have done most of my cruising on catamarans because when I lived in Thailand, that's what a delivery skipper friend of mine was delivering. I find they have good and bad points. I am sold only about 50% and the cat people don't like that one bit.

Aesthetically, I am drawn to the more classic designs, but I don't mind a nicely designed Eurohull. In any case, I am a firm believer that you have to fall in love with your boat to really appreciate her. I'm a shallow guy, life is too short for ugly boats or ugly women, no matter how fast they are.

If I had my drothers, though, my TY37 would have a more performance-oriented underbelly. Still, it doesn't take 20kts to get her moving; thanks partly to my racing experience (and to the aforementioned SA/D), I can get her up and moving 1-1.5kts in 5kts of breeze -- and that's with a suit of sails that circumnavigated two owners ago.

For me, as important as being lithe is motion comfort. There is a huge difference in the way my boat feels in a swell and the way my friend's Jenneau 42DS (or even another friend's Ericson 38) does. My wife's stomach isn't as strong as mine, so I can't leave that out.

And then there's the budget. I make a decent living, but with an ex-wife and a teenage son preparing for college, I simply could not afford to spend $200K or more on a boat.

All those factors triangulated on the TY37 for me.

Would I buy a different boat today, considering the same factors? Perhaps, but I have often thought about it and can't quite decide.

If the factors -- most notably the money -- were different? Almost certainly, the answer is yes.

Y
Old 26-05-2011, 12:32   #380
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

[QUOTE=S/V Alchemy;694865]Nearly.

The voyager would rather spend two weeks at sea in comfort than nine or 10 days of pounding, I learned.

This is 100% the Info I am looking for, thoughts on the comfort difference would be great to have please.......Thanks, Pablo
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 12:34   #381
cruiser

Like wise sneuman. grew up chess. did a LOT of racing there. first in guvners. i love speed..which probably accounts for my sympathetic wanderings. But my historical sense goes for the older... i cant budge. back and forth i go though...undecided. i have eyes on traditional. can move from it $$$$ makes sense...but i love fast fast fast...what to do>

then alchemy throws me in into a loop...I start looking and dreaming of nice warm PH - fischers, Roberts, corbin, LM, etc so cozy and dry. built like a brick. For those NE and NW sailing trips...
Old 26-05-2011, 16:45   #382

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Like wise sneuman. grew up chess. did a LOT of racing there. first in guvners. i love speed..which probably accounts for my sympathetic wanderings. But my historical sense goes for the older... i cant budge. back and forth i go though...undecided. i have eyes on traditional. can move from it $$$$ makes sense...but i love fast fast fast...what to do>

then alchemy throws me in into a loop...I start looking and dreaming of nice warm PH - fischers, Roberts, corbin, LM, etc so cozy and dry. built like a brick. For those NE and NW sailing trips...
Salty, I still like this maybe for you. Like an Ovni or Garcia (alu with centerboard, etc) but with the pilothouse and look at the price! Probably a POS but on paper it looks not so bad. It's in boatman61's area maybe he can take a look?

1987 Gudrun GUDRUN 39 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 17:13   #383
cruiser

OMG!!@!@ Monkey is DANCING DOODLES! Thats soooo awesome and unique! A designer with an imagination for what makes a REAL boat! DRoool!!! =).........

Doodles you are so talented at finding these things!
Old 26-05-2011, 17:14   #384
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can Jeanneau , Bavaria or Beneteau Be Good as Ocean Crossing Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
It's interesting to note that you have to go back 56 posts in this thread to find anything posted by someone owning a Beneteau, Jeanneau, or Bavaria yacht. I suspect that these boat owners tuned out of the thread the moment the boat bashing began.

There seem to be a few individuals on this forum, most of whom don't even own boats, who seem determined to drive away anyone who owns a production boat. That really has to stop.
Bash.... if you'd gone back just 3 you'd have found someone who's owned 2 Bendi's.... if I'd thought the Beneteau 321 was crap... would have I gone for the 331 6yrs later.. they're good boats...
The Jeaneau is the better sailer and the Bavaria does absolutely nothing for me...
No bashing here...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 17:27   #385
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can Jeanneau , Bavaria or Beneteau Be Good as Ocean Crossing Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Salty, I still like this maybe for you. Like an Ovni or Garcia (alu with centerboard, etc) but with the pilothouse and look at the price! Probably a POS but on paper it looks not so bad. It's in boatman61's area maybe he can take a look?

1987 Gudrun GUDRUN 39 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Sorry guys... its up by Barcelona... thats around 1000 miles by road or a flight...
pay the return fare and expenses... love to be of help.....

But its a nice looking boat

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 17:55   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sorry guys... its up by Barcelona... thats around 1000 miles by road or a flight...
pay the return fare and expenses... love to be of help.....

But its a nice looking boat
I'm so typically American sometimes ... the boat's in Spain, boatman61's in Portugal ... they're close right? NOT ... sorry guys.
Old 26-05-2011, 18:00   #387
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Just as an aside , I would very carefully consider if you want a 25 year old aluminum boat. I worked on one and it can be a nightmare. Tread very carefully, the material is not all its cracked up to be. ( or maybe it is, "cracked up").

The answer to the OP is that of course bene and bavs are Water boats">blue water boats, 1000s do so every year. But that doesnt mean the people beleive it.

Dave
Old 26-05-2011, 18:06   #388
cruiser

alum boats are crazy crazy...have to be really careful w electrolysis. New ovnis have special system to detect stray currents etc.
Old 26-05-2011, 19:45   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
OMG!!@!@ Monkey is DANCING DOODLES! Thats soooo awesome and unique! A designer with an imagination for what makes a REAL boat! DRoool!!! =).........

Doodles you are so talented at finding these things!
Yea, I have WAY too much time on my hands these days!

Heading back to the boat in July and lots of boat projects.
Old 26-05-2011, 20:26   #390
cruiser

Awesome doodles. Like known you are in Virgineee workin on boats. Tis the season!

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, jeanneau, monohull, ocean crossing, offshore