Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average. Display Modes
Old 26-08-2010, 07:14   #316

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Ahh...back to this are we?

Yes, for example, Bennies in the early to mid 80's are desirable (35, 38, 405 etc), but no one...no one steps up and gives a play by play on which models are good up to today. And not all of them are.
Think you may have missed a few hundred post on the subject... including several on this thread.
Old 26-08-2010, 07:32   #317
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Think you may have missed a few hundred post on the subject... including several on this thread.
Nope been through them all. Very few consolidated viewpoints. We probably need something from a single source that has delivered a lot of them.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 04:51   #318
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato
Re: Can Jeanneau, Bavaria or Beneteau Be Good as Ocean-Crossing Boats ?

if the price is important for you then maybe this is a good offer...

BENETEAU declares the 30-day race against the clock sale open! / Oceanis / Sailing Yachts / News - BENETEAU

cheers
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 05:03   #319
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can Jeanneau, Bavaria or Beneteau Be Good as Ocean-Crossing Boats ?

Quote:
Recent Bennies are probably decent, but I wonder about say from 1988-2002 - which models to focus on...and between 30-40 feet? I think the 40+ should probably be a lesser concern but what do i know. Outside of the FIRST 38, Problem with all of them is that they don't come up on anyone lists - probably because of tankage, storage, and sump issues.
Well I had a 2001 Beneteau 331 for 2+yrs.... sailed her BVI's/St Martin, Azores, Portugal, Med, Azores and UK.... no problems... performed as I wished...
Would I do it/own one again... damn right...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 05:17   #320
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

its an interesting subject, I am boat hunting now for a 40-44ft , and stilll cant quite decide if its to be a 25 year old classic or a 7-10yr old production for our budget of what will be 90,000 euros give or take a cent! Both will cross oceans, but one is faster according to my research which can be great fun, the other is said to be more solid and a smoother ride! The newer boat may require less maintenence where the older may need more doing to it.....more feed back guys please, best, Pablo
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 06:58   #321
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
its an interesting subject, I am boat hunting now for a 40-44ft , and stilll cant quite decide if its to be a 25 year old classic or a 7-10yr old production for our budget of what will be 90,000 euros give or take a cent! Both will cross oceans, but one is faster according to my research which can be great fun, the other is said to be more solid and a smoother ride! The newer boat may require less maintenence where the older may need more doing to it.....more feed back guys please, best, Pablo

As a follow on it would be good to get reaction from anyone who has owned both classic and production, which did you prefer and why? Thanks.
Old 25-05-2011, 07:34   #322
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as far as i can see, ANY boat can cross oceans-- depends on the sailor at the helm.... ask mark j about bendytoys crossing oceans-- he will know best....he DID it!!!!!
for the record-- a while back, a catalina 27 named my sweet lord sailed around the word---- use good judgement and learn to sail well----- it all comes down to the soul at the helm.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 07:47   #323
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
as far as i can see, ANY boat can cross oceans-- depends on the sailor at the helm.... ask mark j about bendytoys crossing oceans-- he will know best....he DID it!!!!!
for the record-- a while back, a catalina 27 named my sweet lord sailed around the word---- use good judgement and learn to sail well----- it all comes down to the soul at the helm.....

Thanks Zeehag, I know all about the quality of the sailor, etc......OK, lets me put it another way, if you had a choice, which would you pick, the 7-10yr production or the 25 year classic? Mark, I would be very intersted to hear what you would choose if you had the choice?
Old 25-05-2011, 07:49   #324
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Thanks Zeehag, I know all about the quality of the sailor, etc......OK, lets me put it another way, if you had a choice, which would you pick, the 7-10yr production or the 25 year classic? Mark, I would be very intersted to hear what you would choose if you had the choice?
my boat. 1976 formosa 41
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 08:22   #325
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ato View Post
Sorry its nothing but bait. If you dig into the site a bit you will see they only have 5 * 43' and 1 * 50' left. Which makes me wonder if the others that are marked SOLD were ever up for sale anyway.
Old 25-05-2011, 08:23   #326
cruiser

Quote:
Cash no option. I'd go for a new boat.
Old 25-05-2011, 08:40   #327
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Cash no option. I'd go for a new boat.

Its a budget of around 90,000 euros to spend on a 25yr old classic or a 7-10yr old production.......when I did my Day Skipper course last week one guy insisted that the boat we were on (7yr old Bavaria 44) would not be comfortable on ocean crossing, nore would it be long term solid in heavy crossings! Its been difficult to get an answer really, am looking I guess for the person who has traveled in both types of boats to share the experience!
Old 25-05-2011, 08:54   #328
cruiser

All 3 manufacturer of boats are good for an ocean crossing, but again I think it varies from boat to boat on maintenance and reconfiguring needs in the lines. It will be difficult to ask a question because these manufacturers have so many different models and I think to find an owner with OWNER experience on each model or on more than one would prove difficult. I like all 3 manufacturers because of the hull nose shape and the interior, but I don't particularly like scoops that will slap in a roll at anchor. Thats a different taste.

When you start talking about reasonable money such as 90k euro for a boat the differences are slight - new vs old. I would still go with a newer boat if these are the only manufacturers you are interested in. Manufacturers learn from their mistakes and improve. New materials come to market that are stronger and lighter. But remember, you will need to outfit either one and be budgeted for it. And I think new or old isn't the argument as the costs will be the same there.

You can also check the ARC and TRANSPAC rallies and see what people are sailing on.

Where it becomes an issue for me is costs - poor boaties like me who don't have 90k euro in my wallet eager to spend
Old 25-05-2011, 09:24   #329

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Quote:
In reply to your question -it gets down to the condition and outfitting of specific boats. A 10 y.o. production boat poorly maintained may need more refitting than a 30 y.o. classic that has been well maintained and fitted-out for passage making. Until you have specific boats to compare, it's all academic!
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 09:41   #330
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Breakaway View Post
In reply to your question -it gets down to the condition and outfitting of specific boats. A 10 y.o. production boat poorly maintained may need more refitting than a 30 y.o. classic that has been well maintained and fitted-out for passage making. Until you have specific boats to compare, it's all academic!
at 90,000 euros, I doub't you're gonna see poor maintenance. If you do see hints, you know they are crooks so run away.

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, jeanneau, monohull, ocean crossing, offshore