Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 11:44   #256

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I was just a passenger on the Beneteau, but it sure didn't take much wind to heel her over.

I realize that Beneteau makes many different models, and some may be stiffer than others.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 13:00   #257

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, apart from quality of construction, there is the issue of comfort at sea.

I've learned from "accumulated knowledge and experience" that, for cruising, I prefer a boat with a comfortable motion in a chop. I also do not like spending day after day at 20+ degrees of heel. The Bavaria I sailed wasn't too bad, but the Beneteau was too tender for my taste.

I've also learned that you can get the exact same 800 watt microwave at Walmart that you can from West Marine, but at half the price.
If nothing else you are consistent as soon as you get nailed you change direction. Your also obsessed with microwave ovens just to be a little more irritating than you already are!
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 13:03   #258

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Curmudgeon
Its all in the way the boat was designed to operate at its best.. Beneteau sells two types of boats, those for racing and those more for creature comforts, the racing bread is that of the First Series and then the others geared more for cruising and many of the cruising boats have some of the design areas of the racing boats..
Even though the boat has a somewhat flat bottom, its designed to operate best when healed.. When healed, the bottom is now the side so its not running on a flat surface but a well designed corner area...
At a point of heal, around 10 to 12 degrees the boat gets stiff.. thats the optimum angle for speed and comfort.. Not sure about other beneteaus but on mine, the decks the cockpit and the floor at the wheel are all designed to operate at this angle.. what I mean by that is when the boat is healed over at 10 degrees, the decks on the windward become flat for walking on and the floor at the wheel is now flat under your feet.
I say 10 to 12 degrees at any more than that, the force on the sail area is deminished as the sails (high aspect rig) are dumping the wind and the keel, (at close to 8 thousand pounds) is being lifted from the water..
So yes, they are tender...but only to a point and then they stiffen up.. and the faster you go, the stiffer it becomes, and you really have a very comfortable ride.. its just at 10 degrees
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 13:22   #259

I understand the physics of heeling, which also increases LWL. Maybe the boat was poorly sailed. For starters, the outhaul was probably too loose.
Old 05-01-2010, 13:49   #260

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I understand the physics of heeling, which also increases LWL. Maybe the boat was poorly sailed. For starters, the outhaul was probably too loose.
But it did not stop you bagging them!
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 14:44   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
But it did not stop you bagging them!
I've already had my say as to construction quality. No need to rehash it. I've also stated my reasons for preferring a fuller keel in a cruising boat.

We all know that many folks cruise "blue water" in Beneteaus and Bavarias. You see Beneteaus and Bavarias everywhere. People will make whatever choices they wish to make. I've made mine and I'm happy with it.
Old 05-01-2010, 17:34   #262

Well, whatever type of boat you choose, I suggest naming it, 'Gloria A Dios'. God seems to like that.
MC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 18:56   #263

Boat: a sailing boat
gloria a dios

Well, depending on which god you pray to.

I remember reading it in the bible once that there will be no seas in heaven. Looks like there is at least one god around that does NOT subscribe to this forum.

I am OK with that. I will do as much sailing as possible now, just in case ;-)

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 21:46   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Well, depending on which god you pray to.
I pray to several. I'm taking no chances.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:56   #265

Let's find out which one Dennis Clements prays to, I'll go with that one (at least while at sea). Someone over on the other thread about his rescue off Norfolk was asking if anyone knew what type of boat he had. I couldn't tell from the Youtube video and none of the news stories seemed to say. If the answer ever comes up, maybe it can re-ignite this debate for at least another 18 pages . It was interesting how his falling off a wave caused a 1 X 3 foot hole in the hull.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:09   #266
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Hmmm. This is unbelievably impressive. (when commenting on a 35ft yawl that is claimed to do 250 mile days)
Close - its just unbelievable. And against all laws of physics
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:51   #267
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Close - its just unbelievable. And against all laws of physics
Oh, cr@p! Not physics again

Can we please just stick to opinions!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:01   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC01 View Post
Let's find out which one Dennis Clements prays to, I'll go with that one (at least while at sea). Someone over on the other thread about his rescue off Norfolk was asking if anyone knew what type of boat he had. I couldn't tell from the Youtube video and none of the news stories seemed to say. If the answer ever comes up, maybe it can re-ignite this debate for at least another 18 pages . It was interesting how his falling off a wave caused a 1 X 3 foot hole in the hull.
Maybe he should have been wearing a harness with a safety line. His boat was still floating when the C-130 arrived.

The name "Gloria a Dios" is not in the CG's documented vessel database.
Old 06-01-2010, 21:55   #269

Boat: Zodiac Ribster 17' "HAV"
FWIW:

Two Beneteau First 40's ("Two True" and "Wicked", I believe) just finished 1st and 2nd as overall winners (Tattersall Cup) of the Sydney-to-Hobart ocean race.

Over the past decade Beneteaus slowly have become the dominant brand in this extremely demanding ocean race. This year, about 1 in 10 of the 100 or so participating yachts was a Beneteau (with 8 custom-built Farrs as the next most populous brand) and all finished the race.

Have fun!

Flying Dutchman
henkmeuzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:20   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkmeuzelaar View Post
FWIW:

Two Beneteau First 40's ("Two True" and "Wicked", I believe) just finished 1st and 2nd as overall winners (Tattersall Cup) of the Sydney-to-Hobart ocean race.

Over the past decade Beneteaus slowly have become the dominant brand in this extremely demanding ocean race. This year, about 1 in 10 of the 100 or so participating yachts was a Beneteau (with 8 custom-built Farrs as the next most populous brand) and all finished the race.

Have fun!

Flying Dutchman
This is interesting. I wonder if the idea of some racers would be to buy an "inexpensive" well performing boat, race it hard a certain number of times, and then sell it when appropriate, as opposed to someone who is looking to hang on to a boat long term and cruise extensively.

For me, I'm open minded about this issue, but there is another thread active here discussing if heavy weather influenced people's decision on what boat they decided to go with, and it's interesting the different direction that thread has taken compared to this one. There's a big difference in the original question that was asked, but many of the issues/concerns are related.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-34603.html

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, jeanneau, monohull, ocean crossing, offshore