Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 15:10   #1

Can I Live In A Boat That I Won't Be Able To Stand Up In

Hi my name is Owen, I am 17 years old. I planning on buying a sailboat within the next 2-3 years and taking a year or so to restore it to good working condition. I am well versed in carpentry and welding and am planning on working for a small company for the next 3 years as a technician. so I will be able to gain some more experience and build up some assets on shore. So I am farrly confedint that I would be able to do any level of restoration on any age boat.

The question that I have is in picking the right boat. I would prefer a boat in the 20-24 foot range, preferably smaller(I know that is pretty small). That I would be able to live aboard for a couple of years. With a fixed keel, preferably fin. But my dilemma come in with cabins, if there is any sailboat out there that has standing height in the cabin and still has good performance. And if there are no boats out there with that much cabin height and good performance, what the next best thing. Also was wandering if any of you have lived on a boat that they were not able to stand up in, for more than a year. I am looking to do a good bit of work on which ever boat I in up with, so something that has a little bit of age or need some work done on it, in order to be sea worthy is were I am. I do think I would be able to deal with a non stand up cabin in order to get optimal performance/speed out of the out of a boat, just want your opinion on what would get the most performance and a cabin that I can sleep in and eat in, in a sailboat of that range.

I have already looked at the San juan 24, Catalina 22, Capri 22, Hunter 22, Tanzer 22, and the Oday 20. But any suggestions on other boat or any of these would be much appreciated.

I have not been able to find a another discussion or any other information on this topic for this size boat, but if there are any out there, a referral would be very helpful. Sorry for the long post, just wanted a good description of what I am looking for.

Thank you, Owen
Owen kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:22   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: CAN I LIVE IN A BOAT THAT I WON'T BE ABLE TO STAND UP IN

Look at the Albin Vega 27. Bigger than you want but I think it has good headroom and is a serious cruiser when setup right. You can get them below $10k if you don't mind doing some work.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:22   #3

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

You might like to check out a forum called "Sailfar.net." A friendly bunch of sailors mostly in small boats.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I live on an islander Bahama 24 it is about 6 inches short of head room but the standard islander 24 has headroom they aren't the fastest but in good condition you can go anywhere with one. Usually can find them for under 3k in good condition. One question where are you located?
Old 27-03-2016, 15:41   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard, Owen,

Look into Vertue (24). Some of them have circumnavigated. Some very long voyages without circumnavigating. One we know personally lay to a sea anchor twice during a Bass Strait crossing.

Flicka's (20) are a competent pocket cruiser, may be too pricey for you.

NO offense intended, but your profile does not mention where you are located, so the whole issue of where to seek the boats cannot be meaningfully addressed here until you have filled us in a bit more..

Ann
Old 27-03-2016, 15:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I live on an islander Bahama 24 it is about 6 inches short of head room but the standard islander 24 has headroom they aren't the fastest but in good condition you can go anywhere with one. Usually can find them for under 3k in good condition. One question where are you located?
North Carolina
Owen kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:50   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

At 17 to 25, you can do anything, live in a ditch and be comfortable.
It's when you get old and or get a wife, thats when it changes, then you need running hot water, TV air conditioning, and all sorts of things.
At your age, no, you can have a blast in a small boat, just don't get one too far gone, I know you think you can fix anything, but many are too far gone, maybe you can fix them, but it will cost more than they are worth and you will spend 100's of hours fixing, instead of sailing and having fun.
Sometimes it's better to work overtime or something and save the bucks and buy better later, than buy now

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 17:04   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Owen go onto craigslist where you are and look I found many in the sub 30 range that would work quite well for your intended purpose. For under 5 k in charlotte
Old 27-03-2016, 17:10   #9

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
get a wife, thats when it changes, then you need running hot water, TV air conditioning, and all sorts of things.

Maybe for some women, just like some men like a bit of luxury.
But as far as I can tell, they're a minority.
Old 27-03-2016, 17:12   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a good one its 3 feet longer than you specified but at the price its a good one
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/5501564123.html
Old 27-03-2016, 17:17   #11

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Owen -
You want standing headroom but you neglect one minor detail - how tall are you?
I lived for several years in a 26' double ender with about 5' of headroom.
I'm about 5'11" and it worked for me, but if you're 6'9" maybe not so good?
Old 27-03-2016, 17:23   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Obi kenobi, my dear young alter ego padawan,

You can live in a boat where you cannot stand up, I guess. If you were to judge from others' experience then others have been living in a boat where they can stand up only where the main hatch is open ever since A.D. 2003. Happily. Others have sailed from Europe (a planet East from New York) to New Zealand (a planet South-West from Hawaii), via Australia (this one is a galactic, not a planet) back to Europe.

Frankly, it does not hurt if you can stand up, if not for yourself then for others. Maybe, when the time comes, they too will stand up for you. And the time will come. Given two choices, opt for stand up. Given no choice, opt for a boat and go sailing.

I hope this helps somewhat.

May peace be with you,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 17:27   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

PS I am nearly 6 and I can stand up in a Vancouver 26. Check them out unless you are very tall.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 17:41   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

You might consider owning a van to sleep/live in or get a small camper & park it at the boat. That will let you make horrible messes aboard and still have order where you live. Some yards permit this. Our yard has indoor heated storage and member showers & baths. Great if you want to work all winter. This also lets you choose any boat you like without consideration of headroom during restoration. If the boat you select needs serious bottom work, consider having the yard flip it for you. There is a YouTube video series on a Cal-40 restoration where they flipped the thing.

Lots of fresh-water boats here on the Great Lakes. We are in Muskegon. Check brokerages. Boats here have short seasons, no salt, light usage usually only on nice weekends. Many boats in your range are on trailers.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 19:09   #15

Boat: Vancouver 27

At 6'1" I can stand in my vancouver 27, but just barely. Definitely not a huge selection in that range to choose from if you're near 6'.

You're in NC, I would suggest looking for boats in the Oriental / New Bern / Beaufort area. Lot's of good finds out there. Ideally you'd find one that the current owner put some recent love into.

Another consideration, something slightly larger would still work well for a young couple if something comes up down the line..

Best of luck to you. Been living aboard since I was 25, now 32. No regrets!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote