Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2015, 14:27   #16

Boat: Hans Christian 4750
Re: Can I afford a Monohull boat?

The advice posted so far is sound (except I'm not sure about the matrix thing). I'd just add a couple observations:

1) Get and read a copy of John Kretschmer's new book Sail A Serious Ocean. (I don't get a commission for recommending this - hint, John!) In it, he describes many of the best historical cruising designs in all size ranges. You might evaluate those boats for your needs and then look them up on Yachtworld.com, or any of the used boat sites and see what the prices look like. Also go look at them, get on them and get a feel of what's out there.

2) It sounds like you're going to take all your mates with you - so there will be 4 or 5 people on the boat. If so, you batter all agree that whatever boat you buy will work for all of you together (and all your gear).

3) GET AS MUCH SAILING EXPERIENCE AS YOU CAN. Join a yacht club or sailing club in your area (many clubs have junior membership levels that are less costly). Get into the club racing scene. Racing is a great way to learn sailing technique and get on a lot of different boats. Even if you can't join a club - you can usually find a clubmember looking for crew. Talk to as many people as you can - one thing about the sailing community - we're not short on opinions!

4) Plan to start cruising on the coast where help and parts are readily at hand. Once you've mastered that, then head offshore. If you can't master that, you won't master the bluewater either.

5) Use the time that you're saving for the boat to get has much experience as you can, even to the extent of investing some of your boat savings in formal training. I grew up around boats all my life, but never knew what I didn't know, until i took a master's course!

There's probably 50 or 60 more suggestions, but this, and the other posts should be a good start. Good luck to you .
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 16:30   #17

Boat: Seaward 25

Others have touched on this but I think it is the most important thing. Do not count on your mates to be there for this in 9 years! Life happens and if even one were still around and available by then I would be very surprised. I would rethink your goals based on you, and hopefully someone to share your bunk, doing this alone. If you still have a mate that wants to do it and has done his or her share in saving up, you can do it that much sooner. The buying a boat, getting training and experience, etc. is just logistics. It is that relationship stuff that is hard in life.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 18:08   #18

Boat: Ranger 33'

how long is this string in my pocket
roygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 19:02   #19

Boat: Hunter 33.6

You just picked the long straw mate. I just read 100s of years of experience all given to you, and you just got started. I would stand side by side with each one of the post and authors.

One last thing. Spend 2 hours each day reading/learning about your dream until it is no longer your dream. For me, that will be never. I spend 3 hours each and every day reading or learning, and living 100% of my dream.
Captain Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, financing, hull, monohull, ownership, sailing